Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HP Warranty Enhancement Program
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:09 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

So, here's the deal:
Bad: HP had a chronic hardware problem with certain models of laptops built in 2006 & 2007. Some affected models were the dv2xxx and dv6xxx lines.
Overheating = teh bad, could damage the motherboard.
I have a dv6105 that I bought in October 2006.

Good: HP writes a new BIOS to rework the fan-control algorithm, helping out cooling.
Good: HP extends the warranty on these laptops an additional 12 months, for a certain set of failures.

In February of this year, I started having sporadic no-video-on-resume-from-S3 issues. Contact HP in March, send out for repair.
Bad: HP cannot repro the problem. Flashes the BIOS (note that I had done this in December, when the bulletin was sent out) and returns the unit to me.
Problem continues.

Early April: problem #2 starts - the optical drive and/or IDE controller randomly drop. This is not one of the listed covered symptoms, but does point to a failing motherboard.
Early June: contact HP again, create another ticket.
Bad: The HP CSR decides that shipping the laptop in at this time would not be a good idea, as the same thing that happened the first time would likely happen again (no repro, no repair.)

Life goes on, optical still ramdomly vanishes.

9/17: wireless card vanishes. No listing in Device Manager, reinstalling driver does not help.
Contact HP (9/19) , they ship a box again. 9/24, FedEx picks it up. 9/26, it hits their dock. I call them 10/1 for a status check, they tell me it should ship by Friday (10/3)

Bad: 10/3, HP Service calls me. Motherboard has been replaced under warranty (woot! finally!); however, they tell me that they have found that the DC power board (basically, the power board for the battery bay) is non-functional. If I want it fixed, I will need to pay not only for the part (remember, the lappy is in pieces right now), but also the full labor amount.
Mind you, the unit did run on battery when I last had it. Granted, it hadn't been on battery power in a week or two; but, it did still work. When I shipped it out.
This is not acceptable, and I tell him so.
He says to call a CSR.

That night, I call HP, talk to a CSR. He can't help, says will have a CS manager call me. Laptop is held from reassembly and shipment for now.

I can understand, to a point, that the board *might* have crapped out in the 1 or 2 weeks since I last used the battery.
What is completely unacceptable, though, is service wanting (nay, saying that they must, and have no say in the matter) to charge me full labor to replace it. Not cool.

Good: CS manager calls me today. I say my side of it, and my thoughts on the matter.
He not only waives the labor, but also goodwills the part.
I pay nothing. :)

HP has wobbled back and forth on this between being Pound-worthy and praise-worthy.
In the end, though, they did come through, and I do give them a 5 out of 5 on the overall. They did take care of the customer in the long run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:48 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Glad to see it worked out for you Cup. I'll bet you were sweating bullets a couple of times through the whole process though. KOMMANDER

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:22 am 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Update:
The service department is slipping back in to the Pound.
The unit was supposed to be completed and shipped by Tuesday, 10/7.
Friday rolls around, and I still don't have my laptop.
I'm going out of town Tuesday.
I'm not happy.
I call CS. They say that they can't help me (with the order status) because the case has been escalated, call the supervisor.
I call the CS supervisor. He says that 1- basically, the CSR was a dumbass; and, 2- the laptop is still sitting in the shop, "repairs in progress" (in other words, dismantled.) No note (such as a backordered DC board) as to why it's not done. :evil:
I'm not happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:51 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Another update:
Talked to a normal CSR Sunday evening - it seems that the board is, in fact, on backorder. The service tech never mentioned that fact when he called me on the 3rd to present me with a $320 repair bill....... :?
Called Kevin (the CS supervisor) today. We're pretty sure that we figured out just what part the tech was talking about (possibly the DC jack/USB board, that retails for all of $60); unfortunately, the work order is worded a bit, ah, vaguely, and lacks a part number on it (never mind that I could tell your the part number of every piece of this thing, courtesy of HP's teardown manual.)
So, since the part is on intergalactic backorder, and the thing (supposedly) works fine on external power (it just won't work on battery), here's what we're doing:
The notebook is being reassembled and returned to me.
He created an order for the "additional faulty part." It will be shipped to me when they get it. (They have no idea when that might be.)
I'll replace the damned thing when it gets here.

The level of interdepartmental communication that they have going on makes my dealership look like a very well-greased communication machine. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:46 pm 
Million Club [PC]*
Million Club [PC]*

Update:
The replacement for the "faulty board" showed up last week on Tuesday.
So, obviously, that could not have been the right part - it shipped out before the laptop did (remember: the part is "on backorder.")
Laptop showed up Wednesday or Thursday (not sure which - I was out of town.)
Get it from the S&R guy at work on Friday.
Take it home. Plug it in.
Am overjoyed that service did heed my request to not re-image the HDD. :)
Snap the battery in. Windows reports that it's connected and charging. :?
Charge the battery. Let it get to 100%.
Pull the external power.
The laptop continues to run. :?
Remember this: Service said that the battery bay would be non-functional.

I forgot to call Kevin today (typical Monday at work.) I did tell him (last Wednesday, when I last talked to him) that I would call him after I had got the unit back and had it running (also, to talk about the part that could not possibly be the right one.)

Will update again after I speak to him.