Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: XHD3000 VS VISTA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:54 am 

As you may or may not know this $1500 super monitor has still only released XP drivers. So if you pushing Vista you get lame washed down resolutions on the monitor.

It took 3 calls over 4 hours of talking and 3 levels of "tech support" to make them understand you would not be able to reach the resolution without monitor drivers. They claimed my "tower" was not capable of reaching the resolutions and wanted me to buy a gateway.... with Vista. ROFL

HORRIBLE tech support. HORRIBLE

Never mind the 2x 9800GX2 on the 790I FTW mob with 4gigs of ram and Q9550 proc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:29 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

This should be in the Dog Pound.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:05 am 

I just got a email response to call gateway tech support again as my support ticket is not valid because my serial number on the back of my monitor is not valid. So tonight I will give them another try.

Post subject: Re: XHD3000 VS VISTA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:13 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

RodneySB wrote:
As you may or may not know this $1500 super monitor has still only released XP drivers. So if you pushing Vista you get lame washed down resolutions on the monitor.

It took 3 calls over 4 hours of talking and 3 levels of "tech support" to make them understand you would not be able to reach the resolution without monitor drivers. They claimed my "tower" was not capable of reaching the resolutions and wanted me to buy a gateway.... with Vista. ROFL

HORRIBLE tech support. HORRIBLE

Never mind the 2x 9800GX2 on the 790I FTW mob with 4gigs of ram and Q9550 proc.

out of curiosity what exactly are "lame washed down resolutions"

Last edited by bathtbgin on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:29 am 

1920 x 1080 I think.. I know 1920 for sure I will double check when i get home today. I will say that BLU Ray still looks better on it than it does on my 46" DLP, but that makes me itch for the full resolution even more.

I have updated drives on my 9800GX2 and can plug in my 24" FDW900 (24" CRT) and push much much higher resolutions. If you check Call of Duty forums there are like 5 people that downgraded to XP to fix the issue.

The problem is Vista views this monitor as a "Generic PnP Monitor" and thus maxes its resolution setting much lower than should be. It will do the same thing on XP until you install the drivers for the monitor.

Last edited by RodneySB on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:31 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

RodneySB wrote:
1920 x 1080 I think.. I know 1920 for sure I will double check when i get home today. I will say that BLU Ray still looks better on it than it does on my 46" DLP, but that makes me itch for the full resolution even more.

Just doing some basic googling i found quite a few people who have no issues running the display under vista at its native res. If the lack of vista drivers were the cause of your problems everyone running vista would be experiencing the same thing, and the inability to run under vista seems like something MPC would have mentioned in their review. There has to be something else causing this.

Last edited by bathtbgin on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:35 am 

bathtbgin wrote:
RodneySB wrote:

Just doing some basic googling i found quite a few people who have no issues running the display under vista at its native res. If the lack of vista drivers were the cause of your problems everyone running vista would be experiencing the same thing, and the inability to run under vista seems like something MPC would have mentioned in their review. There has to be something else causing this.

Doesn't MPC still use XP on gaming machines? That could very well be why... google has shown me at least 6 others who have this same issue, 5 guys on Call of duty forums downgraded to XP because of it.

I will post more on this tonight after I speak with tech support again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:45 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

RodneySB wrote:
bathtbgin wrote:
RodneySB wrote:

Doesn't MPC still use XP on gaming machines? That could very well be why... google has shown me at least 6 others who have this same issue, 5 guys on Call of duty forums downgraded to XP because of it.

I will post more on this tonight after I speak with tech support again.

Yes MPC does use XP but they also use Vista, in fact i believe that all of their test systems are running vista. Since vista is the "new" os it seems reasonable to assume that they would have tested that display under it, it would be pretty bad on their part if they failed to notice or report something what similar to you are describing. There have been a few other reviews of the XHD3000 from different sites, I would think that some of the more mainstream sites (cnet etc.) would be running vista as a default. As I said though, if this problem was cause by lack of vista drivers than everyone running vista would be experiencing it, and you'd find countless reports of it under a simple google search instead of a couple people on the COD forums.

are you using a Dual Link DVI cable? because everything i've seen so far says that its required to run the display at its native res, if you use a single link DVI cable it will only run at 1920x1200 sounds like what you are describing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:52 pm 

Ok its solved. I was using HDMI connection. For some reason that connection maxes at 1920 x 1080 and then I plug in Dual DVI and I am in 2560 x 1600 bliss.

Gateway did not help me with this answer the dog did and after trying to phone gateway support for 3 hours to keep being disconnected everytime I put in my serial number I swalled retail cable prices and bought one at Best Buy. OUCH.

End result is I am good to go and its thanks to the DOG not to GATEWAY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:56 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I have this monitor and recenlty
I've got a problem that I dont know how to resolve

after about 10month of having this monitor
today I turned it on and I have two fat colored lines on both sides of the screen they are right around 4:3 aspect ratio. they just appear there for a little bit and then after browsing on the net they gradually disaapear. Its like ranibow color line that go across the screen vertically.
and also now I have a green film like patch to the right of the center of the screen, which is about 4 inches wide that go vertically across the screen that appeared on my screen recently like a day ago, vertically as well which does not go away.

Does anybody have the same issue. I think I still have 1 year warrnty ont he screen I just wonder if anything I can do to fix that or just return it to newegg.com where I bought it from?

here is what that green looking thing looks like:

ImageImage

this is right before I was using Cyberlink PowerDVD8 to watch the movie.
is like this in the Bios as well when I go there or reboot and the winxp window appears etc...