Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Newegg parts that arrive DOA
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:51 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

i was wondering how many things you had arrive doa from newegg or any other online retailer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:03 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

I've ordered two different sets of Ram..and oh crap...I have no idea if that X-Fi card I got from Newegg's shell shocker works! :p

I'm assuming it does!

AJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:54 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

The only DOA parts I ever got from Newegg were due to the shipper mishandling them. Damaged a case and a monitor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:21 am 
Team Dino
Team Dino

One product I ordered from Newegg arrived DOA.

It was an external HDD enclosure.

The pain in the butt was that to ship it back for the RMA was around half the price of the unit itself.

n0b0dykn0ws

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:47 am 
Northwood
Northwood

I didn't order stuff from Newegg in a while but I remember I had a dead hard-drive and bad CD-RW drive that I received DOA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:07 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm a Newegg fan.
The reason why is their terrific customer service.
One time I recieved a cpu cooler that was borked.
They issued me a credit and said just throw it away.

Another time I downloaded Acronis True Image but digital river did not include a serial #.
Newegg issued me a full credit within 24 hours! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:21 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Zero. RAM, CPU, mobo, and two DVD burners all arrived in perfect operating condition. It was my choice to keep the mobo that arrived without a socket shield, which was eligible for an RMA. I took a $15 check instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:40 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Have ordered over $20,000 worth of stuff from Newegg with only one part ever being DOA (an OPEN BOX mobo which is a roll of the dice anyway).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:44 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

:) My post is the experience of five years ordering from the Egg.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:52 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

zero, from any online vendor.

I seriously doubt there's actual dead parts arriving at the percentage it would appear there is. I can understand the parts getting beat up and broken, but good hardware arriving dead? End users are to blame IMO, yet they don't give a second of thought of writing a review that it's dead. Otherwise, I'd think I'd have some dead parts at some point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:01 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

I've ordered in excess of $50k in computer parts from the Egg over the last few years. I build computers for friends, family and people who are referred to me by one of the first two.

In all those parts, I've only gotten a couple things that were DOA. The only thing that sucks about DOA parts is having to pay for shipping the thing back to NewEgg. But even then, the savings, including the shipping of the returned part, are significant enough for me to overlook the inconvenience.

For example. I was in Circuit City yesterday looking for a cooling fan. I looked at their prices for a 9600GT 512MB video card.

NewEgg - 9600GT 512. $119 with $20 MIR for a total of $99. Add the $9 shipping and it's $128 before MIR. If you have to RMA it, add another $10 for shipping and insurance. Grand total, $139 before MIR.

Circuit City - 9600GT 512 - $189.

I don't know about you, but $50 is worth waiting for in my book. And if it works right off, and the very large majority of parts do, then you can remove the wait time and extra shipping charges.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:32 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

nothing. Over 5 years of ordering stuff online, and a 1.5 years of newegging, nothing has been DOA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:53 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Over the last 4 years, I've had 35 orders from newegg and about 50 from eBay... all computer items... and only once did I actually receive something DOA... An Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe; which Newegg took care of very promptly and professionally.

I'm always upgrading my CPUs, RAM, and video cards, and hard drives every 6-8 months.

I just ordered a new 780a Crosshair II and 2 x Velociraptors for RAID 0 madness and ... it definitely took some tweaking (4-5 days) but everything is working fine.. and I bet there are a lot of people who would have given up after a day or two and returned these items as DOA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:51 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

I have ordered around 10k of merchandise off of the egg, no problems yet 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:47 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I am in north NJ, so I pay sales tax on Egg, but everything arrives overnight. I been ordering from them quite a lot, never a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:44 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I read a lot of reviews at newegg, and it would seem that there is a high degree of DOA. I could excuse it once, twice and I wouldn't deal with them again there are still some other places to shop at least for the time being.

Personally, when I buy something New I want it to work, I don't think to myself well it's a really cheap price so I'll take a chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:11 pm 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

Again, it comes to quality parts.

Most stuff that's DOA from newegg is low-end brand. Not truly knocking any maker or brand, but stuff like Rosewill, HiPro, etc. doesn't have the quality and backing of, say, OCZ or Corsair, or GigaByte.

But any maker can make a bad batch of parts.

Post subject: Doubtful DOA's
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:06 am 

I especially get a kick out of the users that write reviews that they just received their fourth DOA part in a row and blame it on the manufacturer. The common point in these cases seems to be the user to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:38 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Ive had a Mobo arrive DOA from Newegg and some RAM but Newegg exchanged it for me immediately so I cant say Im complaining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:45 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

MRrelabled wrote:
I read a lot of reviews at newegg, and it would seem that there is a high degree of DOA. I could excuse it once, twice and I wouldn't deal with them again there are still some other places to shop at least for the time being.

Personally, when I buy something New I want it to work, I don't think to myself well it's a really cheap price so I'll take a chance.
And that's the problem. It's computer parts we buy and must build with or add to our systems. The factor here is likely the person much more than the part.

Always a car guy, so here goes: Summit racing or Jegs, take you pick. I order pistons and I burn a hole through them or they're the wrong size. Is that the piston's fault? Nope. I built the thing, I should be held accountable for the failure and not the parts. If there were parts reviews at those places, you'd see the same thing you do at newegg.

I've absolutely never had a failed part, and I'm willing to bet I've ordered more stuff than any enthusiast. The pages of my order history probably has caught some eyes of their IT guys...I'm just waiting on the "dude, what the hell" email from one of them. That I don't get a failure isn't a praise of the parts or newegg, it's that I have basic understanding of computers and can get things to work. IF, for some reason, I couldn't do it myself, I'd come here and we get it working right.

So with my personal viewpoint anything dead, coming from a factory, passed QA, probably passed validation, made it to a vendor, and then just shipped to me, is highly unlikely. So I think each and every issue with a part first though DOA can in fact work as it's suppose to, and no DOA reviews should exist. And in the number of DOA replies all over newegg has me pointing fingers that everyone thinks they're computer savvy...when they're nubs and should look into this hobby a lot more than the Lego style mentality that they currently hold.

No parts should die. The rare cases of failing hardware are well known. Kenwood 4-laser optical drives, IBM DeathStars, Ultra PSU's...those are known. Probably the newest is the SSD drives, and it's not that they are dead but stall, and rather undermine expectations in usage vise benchmark only reviews. When someone can't get a thumb drive to work, I'd love to get it, plug it in, it works, and just erase that bad review...which newegg should do. Maybe the guy has USB issues. No one knows, except the guy that's basically writing a bad review of him or herself.

Even good reviews are plain stupid. None should be weighed by any member here. We can have a two way conversation, correct the user/builder, and above all get the understanding that hardware and computers themselves are better than the user/builder each and every time. Like a car or motorcycle...it's as good as you plan it and build it. You can't blame parts, and you can't really hype parts. It's a system, not parts tossed together.