Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:24 pm 
Monkey Fed [PC]
Monkey Fed [PC]
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 7076
rdalev1 wrote:
Quakindude wrote:
Did it make it through the warranty period?

If no, then you have a reason to be upset.

If yes, then it sucks to be you.

It doesn't matter if Nvidia sold the parts knowing there was something wrong with them. If they last for the included warranty period, that's all the company is liable for. To hold HP responsible for this, you would have to prove that HP KNEW the GPU's were defective when they installed them. I doubt this is the case.

So once again, we have a perfect example of an ignorant individual getting pissed off at the wrong people for a problem they weren't covered for at the time the problem happened. :roll: :roll: :roll:


Whether or not HP knew about the defective gpu does not hold water here.
Again......I will state "NVIDIA PAID HP MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO CORRECT THE GPU ISSUE" ! I typed in caps to make sure ignorant people like you, see the light ! :!:

And to enlighten you even further, since you are the ignorant one, the notebooks HP's repairing are being repaired with..................you guessed it................the same defective gpu. Think Hp knows about this ?


Actually, they haven't paid HP anything yet. HP is getting paid on a per-repair basis. nVidia SET ASIDE the money. Also, they are only paying half of the cost. HP is picking up the other half of the total repair bill.

And actually, yes, HP not knowing about the defective GPU they were installing certainly does hold water. It is entirely up to HP, and HP alone to offer to fix these laptops. It is entirely up to them which laptops to fix and which ones NOT to fix. Just because nVidia had a lawsuit against them does NOT mean HP is liable for extending your warranty and fixing your laptop. nVidia is the one that got sued, not HP. nVidia didn't build your laptop, HP did. Can you see the difference yet?

If HP had a class action lawsuit against them for not fixing lappy's that used the defective 8600M chip, then yes, I would say you have a beef with them. However, they did not get sued and have no judgment against them. Therefor, your only beef is with nVidia.

If you want some due process on this, start a class action lawsuit against HP. If they have decided to NOT include your laptop model in this, that is your only recourse. Sorry, but that's the way big business works.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:30 pm 
8086
8086
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:37 pm
Posts: 5
Wasting our time here with the 3 year olds tvccs !

"I spent $1600.00 on an HP doorstop that they won't repair"

And what kind of reply do we get ?

"Oh yeah? Well I can beat you in Quake"

What an idiot !


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:34 pm 
8086
8086
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:37 pm
Posts: 5
Err..............the lawsuit is against HP,Dell and Nvidia !

Read the suit here and educate yourself !

http://www.wdklaw.com/main.cfm?actionId ... atleydrake

BTW, I've spoken with one of the attorneys.............case is moving forward, but thanks for your concern !


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:41 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:55 pm
Posts: 7844
You've constantly blamed HP. Nvidia is the one who did the consumers wrong. As I said, if a JUDGE finds that HP owes you something, then you will have a way to get your laptop repaired.

GPU's are quite different from vehicle SAFETY equipment. :roll:

Unless the GPU's overheating are causing fires?

You came here posting about a subject that is quite old already. You want to see money in the bushes because you got fucked. No one has said they're unsympathetic for you. But you would choose to shoot the messenger because you don't like the message given you.

If you think HP is doing you wrong, get in on the lawsuit. A judge will make the call. What the fuck do you expect us to do for you? Cry with you about it? Either get it fixed or sue. Those are your only options. And just like I've already posted in this thread, see how the folks with the ZD7000 managed to take care of theirs.

Until there's a judgment against HP, then any thing we say about it is pure speculation. That lawsuit could find HP and Dell not liable for repairs on laptops past the warranty period. What will you do then?

Come back here and blame us for it?

BTW, show me where Nvidia has paid HP to cover anything beyond warranty repairs. I've not heard of that yet. Also, have you considered that you may have screwed yourself if you downloaded and used the BIOS update? Was there any fine writing when/if you did that?


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:07 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
User avatar

Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:55 pm
Posts: 7844
rdalev1 wrote:
Wasting our time here with the 3 year olds tvccs !

"I spent $1600.00 on an HP doorstop that they won't repair"

And what kind of reply do we get ?

"Oh yeah? Well I can beat you in Quake"

What an idiot !


You've gotten a reply. It just isn't one that you like.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:28 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:37 pm
Posts: 2
I had the misfortune to purchase 2 HP pavillion computers in January and April 2007. The first was a dv9200, with an AMD chip, costing me £990. The second was a dv9299ea, with an Intel chip, costing me £1649.99.
The first has had 2 motherboard replacements while within the first year of warranty. It has failed again, and due to having the AMD chip, is covered by an extended warranty. I can send it back to HP to get it repaired again - but what for?! It will only fail again!

The second PC has completely failed about 6 weeks ago. I can’t even turn it on. The fault -after checking with an engineer - is the same as with the first - GPU failure. This computer is not covered by the extended warranty as it has the Intel chip.

HP will do nothing, so I have sought legal address, (ConsumerDirect.gov.uk) and been advised to claim for a full refund from the retailers as the computers do not meet the legal requirements of the Sale of Goods act (1979) in UK. I have also been advised to contact the credit card that I used to pay for both computers for a refund, as they are jointly liable for the faulty machines. Reasonably, and according to law standards, a laptop is expected to last for 3 years, and a small claims court case can be pressed against HP if the other 2 avenues that I have been advised to take do not pan out.

I will not be buying HP again. They have dealt with this matter atrociously, refusing to acknowledge a fault despite literally hundreds within their own forum complaining of identical issues.

And their fixes for the few ‘lucky’ ones that manage to get the extended warranty are doomed to fail again. I have researched and found that this is almost guaranteed to happen.

So my recommendation would be - avoid buying from HP. They may have the capacity to develop and sell new technology, but they seem unable to support it. And they do not respect the legal rights of consumers, for which they will unfortunately have to pay for - either in loss of customer loyalty, financial renumeration, or both.

By the way, I found this information. May answer a couple of the issues that you have been raising:
'It is sometimes hard to leave a shop without being pressured into taking out an extended warranty to cover any future problems with the product you have just bought. Beware however that you are not paying for legal rights that you already have. The warranty may say that for a certain amount of time, repairs will be carried out free of charge but if an item outside of its guarantee develops a problem that wouldn’t normally be expected at that stage in the products life the seller would be responsible for sorting out the problem anyway.' - http://www.whichlegalservice.co.uk/serv ... blems.aspx


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:31 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:07 am
Posts: 7
Quakindude wrote:
In this argument, you lose.

And in playing Quake, you'd lose against me there as well.

The car thing is irrelevant. It hasn't happened in recent history. There's zero precedence for it. There is, however, a huge precedence for American's to whine, bitch and moan their asses off over shit just like this. Back in the 40's, Americans got shitty cars with shitty warranties. And when shit broke after the damned warranty, they rolled up their frikkin shirts and got to wrenching.

YOU agreed to the warranty period when YOU bought the laptop. Yes, it has happened to me and yes, I ate the cost to fix it.

NVIDIA is setting aside funds for the repairs. And that's anticipated warranty returns. That doesn't indicate to me that Nvidia is planning on replacing every single 7000/8000 series GPU. :roll:

Thing is, you're too ignorant to realize that HP is just reacting to the issues one of their parts suppliers is responsible for. Nvidia knew the parts were borked and likely to die when they shipped those parts out. HP started installing them and selling them before they figured out the GPU's were shit. They issued a BIOS tweak to increase the speed of the fan to keep in working beyond warranty. If there's culpability in that, a JUDGE will decide it.

But knowing the ever litigious America I've served for going on 20 years, both companies will end up paying via a class action lawsuit. And MY FUCKING price of owning a laptop will increase because a bunch of snot nosed American shit headed BRATS can't figure out that 12 months or 24 months means EXACTLY that.

No means no too. Would you just go ahead a rape a chick simply because she's got a "defective" personality but looks great? I guess it's all a matter of what you think is proper for theft.


I'm sure you'd beat me at Quake.

And the last paragraph in your post is so bizarre, maybe you've been playing Quake too long.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:36 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:07 am
Posts: 7
bigtoyota479 wrote:
rdalev1 wrote:
Quakindude wrote:
Did it make it through the warranty period?

If no, then you have a reason to be upset.

If yes, then it sucks to be you.

It doesn't matter if Nvidia sold the parts knowing there was something wrong with them. If they last for the included warranty period, that's all the company is liable for. To hold HP responsible for this, you would have to prove that HP KNEW the GPU's were defective when they installed them. I doubt this is the case.

So once again, we have a perfect example of an ignorant individual getting pissed off at the wrong people for a problem they weren't covered for at the time the problem happened. :roll: :roll: :roll:


Whether or not HP knew about the defective gpu does not hold water here.
Again......I will state "NVIDIA PAID HP MILLIONS OF DOLLARS TO CORRECT THE GPU ISSUE" ! I typed in caps to make sure ignorant people like you, see the light ! :!:

And to enlighten you even further, since you are the ignorant one, the notebooks HP's repairing are being repaired with..................you guessed it................the same defective gpu. Think Hp knows about this ?


Actually, they haven't paid HP anything yet. HP is getting paid on a per-repair basis. nVidia SET ASIDE the money. Also, they are only paying half of the cost. HP is picking up the other half of the total repair bill.

And actually, yes, HP not knowing about the defective GPU they were installing certainly does hold water. It is entirely up to HP, and HP alone to offer to fix these laptops. It is entirely up to them which laptops to fix and which ones NOT to fix. Just because nVidia had a lawsuit against them does NOT mean HP is liable for extending your warranty and fixing your laptop. nVidia is the one that got sued, not HP. nVidia didn't build your laptop, HP did. Can you see the difference yet?

If HP had a class action lawsuit against them for not fixing lappy's that used the defective 8600M chip, then yes, I would say you have a beef with them. However, they did not get sued and have no judgment against them. Therefor, your only beef is with nVidia.

If you want some due process on this, start a class action lawsuit against HP. If they have decided to NOT include your laptop model in this, that is your only recourse. Sorry, but that's the way big business works.


Yep...HP's being sued...and will lose, or settle after wasting more time and money.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:43 pm 
Malware specialist
Malware specialist
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:49 pm
Posts: 11696
Location: Kansas City, KS
tvccs, temper, rdalev1, what everyone is trying to say is, almost everyone is aware of the issues surrounding these particular laptops and the mobile GPU's.

As previously mentioned there is a lawsuit on all three of the companies. There have been many complaints obviously, but having a topic such as this one on these forums doesn't really serve a purpose.

For example, it is my opinion that HP should not be forced to repair the notebooks that are not covered under the warranty. I understand many people here will not have this same opinion, and that is fine. The problem is, the Maximum PC forums have a somewhat strict 30 day bumping rule, which was violated when this thread was brought up.

Any parties that were hurt by what Nvidia did should be handling this in a court of law and not in the Maximum PC forums. Unfortunately, the MPC dog does not watch these forums and Maximum PC is filled with people that may or may not know the laws.

In short, it is better to go get legal advice and bump this thread when new information is found that points the finger at HP, Nvidia or Dell. Other than that, this type of topic serves no purpose besides causing several members to argue with each other.

So anyone that has been afflicted with these problems should get in on the lawsuit, other than that, there isn't much this forum is going to be able to do for you.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:46 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:37 pm
Posts: 2
I agree. My post was merely to transmit some legal information that may or may not be of use to frustrated HP owners, learnt from my own experience and trade.

I will not be making further posts on this subject.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:49 pm 
Malware specialist
Malware specialist
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:49 pm
Posts: 11696
Location: Kansas City, KS
temper wrote:
I agree. My post was merely to transmit some legal information that may or may not be of use to frustrated HP owners, learnt from my own experience and trade.

I will not be making further posts on this subject.


My post wasn't directed at you really, even though I did mention your screen name.

Providing a link to legal advice is good information to have in a topic. This alerts people to what their legal rights are (before talking to a lawyer of course).

Arguing about what one person thinks is legal or ethical does not really add to a topic. Legal and ethical are two different things and the proper place is a court, not a forum.


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:49 pm 
8086
8086

Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:07 am
Posts: 7
Jipstyle wrote:
You're hilarious.

The product lasted throughout the warranty period. That is *all* that the manufacturer promised.

Everything else you've spouted is nonsense.

For instance, that $200 million fund they set aside: "NVIDIA plans to take a one-time charge from $150 million to $200 million against cost of revenue for the second quarter to cover anticipated warranty, repair, return, replacement and other costs and expenses."

That quote was pulled from one of your links.

Quote:
If the engine blew up in your car and it fell apart a week after the warranty ran out, would you simply cest' la vie? Buy another? No problem? And if thousands of your neighbor's cars did the same thing, would you just look at them and say "too bad, any extra time you got beyond the warranty period was a luxury", and "you just want something for free".


Yes. I'd be pissed, but I know that I don't have a right to claim that my product should last longer than the warranty. That is just asinine and childish. I don't rewrite my agreements after the fact in order to get the most from my purchases.

Quote:
And you have the balls to talk about ethics?


Yes, I do. Unlike you, my argument is based on your actions. You've typed a bunch of nonsense about a bunch of crooks and tried to associate me with them because I disagree with you. Fantastic reasoning skills, sparky ... you should have been a lawyer. :lol:


Actually...I'm a Supreme Court certified expert witness who works with lots of them...and I won my case and five minutes of legal fame based on research, facts and some of those "fantastic reasoning skills".

Everything I said is dead on...sparky indeed. Corporations make illegal and unethical decisions every day, unfortunately, and this one stinks so bad it's not funny. I wonder what you'd think if your mom had died from eating salmonella-laced peanut butter...oh wait, I'm sure you and Quake Dude would just roll up your sleeves and blame the lawyers. That peanut butter didn't come with an expressed warranty.

I'd guess I couldn't find more than one person in fifty that would agree with your views about cars and warranties. And as detailed later in this forum, HP is indeed paying for the cost of repairing defective notebooks they knowingly sold...if they didn't know the GPU's were defective, they would have never modified the BIOS as they did. I'm not a betting man, but I'd bet the farm on that one in court.

I'll send over a flashlight...I suggest you use it to find your head up your...


Top
  Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:57 pm 
Malware specialist
Malware specialist
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:49 pm
Posts: 11696
Location: Kansas City, KS
tvccs wrote:
Everything I said is dead on...sparky indeed. Corporations make illegal and unethical decisions every day, unfortunately, and this one stinks so bad it's not funny. I wonder what you'd think if your mom had died from eating salmonella-laced peanut butter...oh wait, I'm sure you and Quake Dude would just roll up your sleeves and blame the lawyers. That peanut butter didn't come with an expressed warranty.


The salmonella peanut butter issue is a total different thing.

Peanut butter usually doesn't include a warranty. How do you return peanut butter after it's consumed?

The peanut butter, along with many other things that don't have an explicit warranty, are implied to be in a certain condition. This means the product should not kill you if consumed.


Top
  Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group