Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WD 400G KD drives
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:51 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Once the best of the best, high in many marks...and I'm farting them up left and right. I lost one, got it back, it died, then moved on, but in the last 3 months the ones I've stuck in other's PC's are flooding back in. I'm getting familiar with the hexeditor all of a sudden and trying to get all these folks data back...nothing, the platters aren't borked, the drives are.

Any of you had issues with this series of drives? The AAKS drives haven't came back yet, so they're so far off my Shatlist.

I'd normally just ask in the Hardware Haven, but this is Dog worthy to me. I can't get other's data back (80% is a good recovery rate for me without external help), and would cost big money to get it back otherwise. I chose the product, and the disk itself is warrantied...not the data you put on it. So it's dog worthy to start barking at these HDD makers to back the data too. If it fails and you give me more crap that's going to fail in under a year, what good is it? Give me that data back too!

Bad line? Then back it, or just don't give me the same thing back. I'm just starting to see the 640AAKS come back...2; will more be coming? Why are these folks swearing by their drives for five years, yet at the same time they're not? The warranty is crap IMO. I don't want this junk back as a replacement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:08 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Ack...must be aged enough that they've moved on to newer drives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:00 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

my wd 400g kd drive failed on me 5 month ago as well
I called wd they told me my warrently was out and I am on my own.

How can I recover the data. what did you use?

Post subject: Re: WD 400G KD drives
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:58 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Chumly wrote:
Any of you had issues with this series of drives? The AAKS drives haven't came back yet, so they're so far off my Shatlist.

Yes! I've went through three of these drives (400KD). Each one of them began acting wonky within a 12-month period with varying issues, including BSODs, corrupting files, and power up/down issues.

By the third RMA, they finally sent me the AAKS version as a replacement. So far it's been working fine, but I've only had it up and running for about a month now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:06 pm 
Team Creamsicles
Team Creamsicles

I have a WD 400GB AAJS drive. It's been working fine for almost a year (bought it for 60 bucks on black friday last year).