Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Circuit City Rebates :(
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:37 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Black Friday I went to CC to pick up a monitor for my son. There weren't any on the floor, salesguy went & found me one. I was surprised they still had some in stock for $199. I paid & left, never really paying attention to what I paid (I knew there were rebates, not all of the details).

The next day. I looked at the receipt to find they charged me wrong. I called the store, a girl told me to repurchase online, ship it to the store, then come back the next day to take care of the refunds. She said she would note everything on my account.

I went back to the store (50 minutes one way) the next day. A guy looked my account up but the girl from the day before did not note anything on it like she said she would; she also was off that day. Lou said he needed a manager, but the managers were in a metting, so I wasted my time. He suggested I come back the next day.

I ended up calling the next day to see if the people I needed were in, the girl was, she supposedly was going to refund my money & I wouldn't have to go back to the store. Since I had to go out that way, I stopped in, Lou was working, he looked my account up, she had not refunded my money either. If it wasn;t for this guy, I'd still think she actually did her job.

I fill out the rebate paperwork, online, dates were correct on the 1st web page I went to, when I clicked on submit online from that page, it took me to another page with the same rebate number but with a different date. I call the rebate center, the guy says, no problem, the rebate is correct, the date on that one page is wrong. I decided to print every page I saw, I just knew something was going to go wrong.

Yesterday, I get a letter stating my rebate dates were invalid. I call the rebate center, the guy says, no, the rebate was from 11-21 to 11-24 not 11-21 to 11-27. I asked him for his fax #, he wouldn't give it to me. Next I was sent to corperate. I could barely hear or understand the person I was talking to. This lady said she did not have a fax & sent me to another department. The next department tried to "really" help me. I even got a fax number this time, and faxed her all of the web pages showing this was a problem with Circuit City's web site & not me, and that this monitor was really a bad experience & that they were turning me off of their store.

She called me back saying she spoke to rebates, and that they think they understand it was a problem on their web page & that the rebate was being put back through & that I should call them in 2 weeks.

I'm pretty outraged. I am supposed to call them? I spent almost 2 hours on the phone last night for this, not to mention the time & gas I used to go back & forth to the store because their employees are incompetant. Had that 1st employee on the floor told me the monitors were sold out, or that he was substituting this same monitor, different color for the item on sale & that it would be $50 more, I would have had the option to not buy it.

If you get a rebate from Circuit City and fill it out online, and see the dates don't match, beware for a big hassle getting your money back!

Did I get a good deal on the monitor? Yeah, it was a $379 monitor for $150- they ended up giving me an extra $50 back since their sales guy screwed up. Is this headache worth it? No- not what I spent in gas & time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:06 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I hate rebates. But at least you got SOMETHING out of it. I'm still waiting to hear from Soyo (4 months+) :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:38 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Rebates, behold the biggest CON in retail store HIST-O-FUCKING-RY. You see in the ad for the week, big and bold, a really great price, so you drive out tere to find out, oh, shit wait, the real price is outrageous, I only have to run my hands through a drum sander and sell my soul to get the REBATE price. Fuck rebates....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 2:09 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Oh man that totally sucks ass. I've never tried to apply for a rebate, I've always figured it's just not worth my time. I've never seen the point behind them other than giving the consumer false hope... it's a marketing ploy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:48 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

I've got a system for rebates, I scan everything I am sending, it not only gets saved in Paper Port (scanner software) under rebates, but also saved in my documents as 2 files (paperport & Tiff). Normally I don't have these problems, I send in the stuff, they give me my money.

This post is more of a "beware" of Circuit City's rebate section of the web site, which is not always up to date. I was wrong that I did not get the name of the person I spoke to when I 1st saw the date discrepency, but trust me, next time I will. I also should have had him note everything in a file under my son's name, but didn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:16 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Of the 20 or so rebates I've sent in I remember actually receiving 3 or 4 of them. I've decided if I can buy an item for $199 minus $30 rebate, or for $179 and no rebate... $179 is the better deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:31 pm 

i despise mail in rebates, im either to lazy or they never send me a check. so i always try to find a deal without them unless its instant.I think the wasy it should be is if it has a mail in rebate the whole thing should be done at the store or online the instant you buy it. none of this cutting upc codes or sending the reciept. i think they just count on 80% or more of the people will ignore them and they keep the money.