Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: I THINK I JUST GOT MAD!!!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:32 am 
Willamette
Willamette

O.K I have been trying to log into gmail for 2 hours now and i get this message:

Google
Error

Server Error
The server encountered a temporary error and could not complete your request.

Please try again in 30 seconds.

pfff...some 30 seconds.

http://gmail.google.com/gmail?_sgh=58c4 ... a797e84507

anyone else getting this?

EDIT: are they officially launching it? Adding a new feature maybe?

Post subject: Re: I THINK I JUST GOT MAD!!!!!!
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:57 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

ATI4EVER! wrote:

Yes. I'm getting it.

Could be worse, you could be without internet. Here at work we're having a problem with our corporate WAN. Only reason I'm on right now is because the I.S. Dept. has a separate DSL line. :)

Unfortunately we're getting a bunch of people bitching they can't work/access email/get on the internet. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:59 am 
Willamette
Willamette

O.K mine is now working.

Post subject: Re: I THINK I JUST GOT MAD!!!!!!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:09 am 

ATI4EVER! wrote:
O.K I have been trying to log into gmail for 2 hours now and i get this message:

Google
Error

Server Error
The server encountered a temporary error and could not complete your request.

Please try again in 30 seconds.

pfff...some 30 seconds.

http://gmail.google.com/gmail?_sgh=58c4 ... a797e84507

EDIT: are they officially launching it? Adding a new feature maybe?

Think your pissed, I have been getting that error for 3 weeks now and over 5 Emails from the gmail problems team trying to convince me the problem is not there server but the 3 different computers I use to check my mail, BTW all 3 computers logged in and checked my mail fine until on the same day something changed...hmmmmmm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:49 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

it been working fine for me, but remember it is still a beta.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:15 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Trust me on this... you have never been mad.

Try buying a floppy drive at Fry's that doesn't work. The next day you return it for a refund or exchange... and the customer service guy opens the box, looks at it, and announces that you did not buy it at Fry's and you are not getting your money back or an exchange either. Somewhat pissed, you demand to speak with the manager who agrees with the other idiot. Looks you in the eye (and insinuating you are a liar and a cheat) hands back the bad drive and says have a nice day. Breaking their glass door on the way out of the store WAS fun though. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:38 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Did you have your receipt?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:39 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Frank4d wrote:
Breaking their glass door on the way out of the store WAS fun though. :mrgreen:

Whao! How'd you do that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:35 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Klarion wrote:
Did you have your receipt?

Yes. Problem is that Fry's sells a lot of hardware in plain white or brown boxes, much of it returned by other customers. They buy a lot from a wholesale surplus place named Synapse Micro. And half the time they don't know what they are selling. Since the drive didn't look like the the ones they remember selling (it was black not beige), they accused me of trying to cheat them by returning my old drive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:36 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Spider Monkey wrote:
Frank4d wrote:

Whao! How'd you do that?

I was so angry when I left that I couldn't make the door open fast enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 7:59 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Frank4d wrote:

Looks like I'm not the only one that dispises Fry's. :)

Last time I went, I tried to pay with my Visa Check card. I've NEVER had problems paying with it in the past as they've never asked to see any ID. This person asked for ID. After explaining that my license was taken by a cop the last time I got pulled over, he wouldn't sell me the DVD's I was trying to purchase.
I understand some places want ID for CC purchases, but they NEVER ask for debit purchases. For some reason, this guy wouldn't let me purchase anything.

So, I just told him Fuck you and Fry's and walked out. I don't plan on going back anytime soon either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:56 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

TWBalls wrote:
Last time I went, I tried to pay with my Visa Check card. I've NEVER had problems paying with it in the past as they've never asked to see any ID. This person asked for ID. After explaining that my license was taken by a cop the last time I got pulled over, he wouldn't sell me the DVD's I was trying to purchase.

I understand some places want ID for CC purchases, but they NEVER ask for debit purchases. For some reason, this guy wouldn't let me purchase anything.

So you're saying you got pissy because stores used to let you get away with not having to check your ID, don't anymore? Are stores not allowed to check when you use a check card or something?

Maybe it's just poor old me and San Diego, but they check IDs down here for pretty much damn near any purchases that aren't made with cash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:08 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Klarion wrote:
So you're saying you got pissy because stores used to let you get away with not having to check your ID, don't anymore? Are stores not allowed to check when you use a check card or something?

Maybe it's just poor old me and San Diego, but they check IDs down here for pretty much damn near any purchases that aren't made with cash.

Pretty much. If they didn't have a problem with it before, why now? I've NEVER had anyone card me for debit purchases. You would think the fact that I know what my PIN for it would be enough security?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:03 am 
iron colbinator
iron colbinator

TWBalls wrote:
Pretty much. If they didn't have a problem with it before, why now? I've NEVER had anyone card me for debit purchases. You would think the fact that I know what my PIN for it would be enough security?

Well, there are three principles ("factors") of authentication:
1) Something you have (card and ID)
2) Something you are
3) Something you know (PIN)

The strongest factor is the second one, since it is hard to imitate. Sometimes you could see your signature as something you are, but it's pretty weak on the scale of signature to biometric devices.

The weakest is something you have, but by asking for two things it's another hoop that someone would have to jump through to use your debit card. If you think about how many people write their passwords on post-its, I imagine there are a lot of people who don't guard their PIN very well either... and with the PIN and the card, someone can escape unscathed. Asking for ID is a minor inconvenience for those of us who guard our PIN, but it could save someone else :)

The third factor is only as good as we protect it. Passphrases are better than passwords which are better than PINs, based on length and complexity. I can't believe banks still use 4-number PINs, and websites that only accept [a-zA-Z0-9] and no special characters piss me off too.

In the end, you're right, ID is a pretty weak third thing to ask for... but it's better than nothing. Anyone can use your card with your PIN and get away with it, hell I use my husband's card at the grocery store sometimes when I don't have mine :)

What would be cool for credit/debit cards would be one-time use numbers, or limited time use+limited amount numbers... so they would "expire" or have such limited use that it wouldn't be worth scamming. Could be pretty inconvenient though, hard to do easily.

Anyway, sorry for the lesson, just one of those security things...Here is a short website that has some good thoughts on authentication, a better job than I could do without an editor ;)