Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Do NOT buy a WRT600N if you plan to use USB Storage!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:42 am 

Largely on the recommendation of MaxPC (and ZDNet) I decided to upgrade my home network and add a 1TB Simpletech USB HD for centralized backup.

After getting it all done I copied the first 39,000+ files to the Simpletech.

THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME DATE AND TIME! Not their original file dates!

UNBELIEVEABLE.

Worse, the problem was known (on Linksys forum), has existed for months, and their Livechat would not give any indication that they intend to fix it!

I really would have expected someone to at Max PC to at least TRY the storage before giving it a "Best of the Best".

It fundamentally does not work right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:58 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Most file systems assign each file the date on which they were created in that filesystem. That is pretty standard.

Do you use the date to search or organise the files somehow?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:24 am 

I may not have been clear. I'm not talking about creating new files. When I COPY FILES TO THE DRIVE from another location (I.E. backing up) they do not retain their date. All NTFS file systems retain the date and time stamps of the copied file.

Yes (just to answer your question), accurate file date and time stamps are critical to file backup procedures, organizational procedures, etc. When you copy a file from one location to another, it must retain the date & time stamps. The file system is useless otherwise.

I'll anticipate one more question: the hard drive works perfectly when directly attached to my computers via USB.

The Linksys WRT600N is simply non-functional. And I'm not the only one who noticed it.
[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:48 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Here's a Properties sheet for one of my old files.
Created: That's the date that I put this specific file on my freshly formatted NEW hard drive on this PC that came from a DVD-RW backup.
Modified: That is the date that I first created the file as a net download, on my old Pentium I PC.
Accessed: Today's date.

On my PC and file backups, the only date that changes for me is the Accessed date.

Which attribute is screwed up on your files, Gary?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:45 am 

Thank you for taking interest. Specifically, the "Modified Date & Time" (as titled in Windows Explorer) is identical on the thousands of files I copied to the drive.

The Modified Date of course is only changed when a file is actually modified. When you copy a file from 1 place to the next, the Modified Date and Time should be copied as-is - just like the File Name should be copied as is.

This fundamental file storage concept has been the same since DOS.

Picture a Windows Explorer Details View and see EVERY FILE WITH THE SAME DATE AND TIME...then you can visualize the problem. 39,000+ files and ALL THE SAME. Oy! What a joke.

This make the drive useless as an archive/backup device.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:45 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

This is interesting. :)

My guess is that the drive modifies the files somehow during the copying process. Is the drive to which the files are being copied NTFS? If it is a different file-system, the conversion process may be the problem

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:49 am 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

I altered the file that has the property sheet shown above and you're right: now, all the dates are today, 26 August.

What I'd like to know is why and how in the hell a router can screw up dates. I'll have to double-check files on my own network to see if they're f$#@ed up in any way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:50 pm 

Responding to both OvenMaster and Jipstyle...

1. The drive is most definitely NTFS.

2. The "router" fouls up because Cisco (aka Linksys) will not fix the USB software interface - simple as that.

Note that Linksys has REMOVED the forum posting I initially observed from some poor *&%?) that had the same problem.

Let's ask: why do I care? Answer: I ripped out the old router, reconfigured my home PCs, got it all working...NEVER SUSPECTING that the storage would be a problem. Do I have the time or patience to reinstall the old stuff? No.

Let me add - storage is not the only problem. When you put hundreds of megabytes over the network (internal home network), the router stops working. It has to be powered off/on & all PCs "repaired".

What a total ripoff.

I think I found a company to hate more than Microsoft!