Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Buyers looking to buy Alienware: Don't
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:52 am 

Hello everyone. I am just here to tell my story of dealing with Alienware so that anyone looking to potentially buy from them will not make the mistake of doing so. I wish I hadn't.

About 3 years ago, I was laptop shopping for college. I wanted something I could game on as well. I read a lot of reviews and Alienware seemed like a good bet to be a functional school laptop, but also something I could run some games on.

I bought the m5500. It has a Nvidia GeForce Go 7600. The laptop overheats like crazy. It actually burns your skin if you touch the plastic. I ended up purchasing a cooling fan for underneath the computer.

In the time I have owned my computer, I have had to replace my video card 3 times. The latest replacement came in January. It just broke again yesterday.

The last time I had to replace it, I took the card to Fed Ex to be sent back. Fed Ex lost the package somehow. Alienware refused to send me a new card, despite the fact that I was under warranty, accusing me of trying to scam them. When I was finally able to speak to one of the company's higher-ups, he flat out told me he did not care. It was a four month ordeal. I ended up paying a few hundred bucks for a new one.

As I said, the new one got here in January, and is now broken. I called Alienware yesterday to see what could be done, and the support guy told me he shouldn't even be talking to me because I was no longer under warranty. He said I could purchase a new card from the company.

Further research has pointed out that Nvidia has acknowledged an issue with their mobile cards. Dell and HP have issued BIOS updates to make the fan turn on sooner to keep the GPU cooled. Alienware has done nothing except try to sell me a new card.

Many of you may point out that I never should have purchased an Alienware to begin with. I should have built a desktop, yes. I was under the impression, as a 17 year old about to go to college, that I HAD to have a laptop because I would use it in class and such. So, I decided to go with Alienware for their reputation.

Well, I never should have done that. My story serves no purpose other than as a consumer warning. If you are looking to buy a computer that can do laptop stuff as well as game, look elsewhere. Alienware has been nothing but a headache. I hope I can save someone from making this mistake. Thank you all for reading.

-Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:27 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Colleges make it seem like you're going to be running some advanced programs that will bring your laptop to its knees when in retrospect, I could have easily gotten away with a second-hand PIII than spending $2500 on a brand new (at the time) 2Ghz Pentium M machine with Geforce 6800 Go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:31 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Alienware=Dell. Read into this factoid what you will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:33 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

many people, I almost sure that noone here is one of them, tend to buy on name only. many times I have been flamed for talking "badly" about alienware but the simple fact with them is that if you compare system specs, generally you will be paying $1000 more for just a name.

now I thought that alienware was owned by dell now?

for college I am planning on buying a $200 or so used laptop and spend some better cash on building a nice box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:56 pm 

kleinkinstein wrote:
Alienware=Dell. Read into this factoid what you will.

It makes sense, given that my computer before was a Dell and I had just as many problems with them.

Oh well. My new desktop will be finished soon, thankfully, and this Alienware nightmare will be over.