Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ahead Nero
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:48 am 

I have used Nero Burning Suite for years. Shockingly enough, I even purchased it. What follows is my reward for being a legitimate user.

Admittedly performing updates was hit and miss with version 7 of the package, but version 8 is proving to be the killer. Obviously, after years of almost no protecting of their software, Nero has gone the complete opposite direction. They now track your installation and if they deem that you have installed it to many times you must be using it on more than one machine and will not activate it. This is what has happened to me. I can not use my legitimately purchased software!!! I have emailed them a total of four times and have not had even one reply. This includes to emails to patent.activation@nero.com which is the email address that pops up on my screen. What is the point of giving an email address if you are incapable of responding at all.

I have explained to them, four times, that I can not install Nero on more than one machine as I only have ONE computer! I have explained theie activation process is making a mistake. Like many people, I perform a clean install of Windows every two or three months. Unfortunately, I had to do three installs last month because service pack 3 created problems. What I suspect is happening is Nero's activation process or server sees these installs and assumes I am installing on more than one machine. I am extremely peeved at Nero over this. Especially since they don't respond to emails at all.

I did also point out that at a time when millions of people have two or three computers in their homes, it is disgusting you can only install on one machine and their is nothing on the box to tell consumers this. Consumers should be warning about this limitation just like Symantec and McAfee do right on the outside of the box.

I think this is an issue that is very worthy of the Watchdog's attention as Nero is, obviously, a major software publisher in the Windows world.

Terry Patenaude :x :x :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:43 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

I've seen that pop up message on my copy of nero as well, however i always click the button that says "I have to reinstall nero" or something along those lines. I've never clicked the "i want to install nero on more than one computer" button.

Post subject: Nero
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:23 am 

Give it time. I got the message you are refering to for awhile and replied as you did about not installing on another computer. It was eventually replaced with the refusal to activate.

Post subject: Re: Ahead Nero
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:51 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

tpatenaude wrote:
Like many people, I perform a clean install of Windows every two or three months. Unfortunately, I had to do three installs last month because service pack 3 created problems.

Terry, I can understand a botched SP3 installation, but why else would anyone need to do a clean Windows install every two or three months? I myself have only had to install Windows from scratch twice in four years, and only because I was installing new hard drives.

If I had to install Windows every two or three months, I'd seriously look into what the problem was that made it necessary... if I didn't shoot my PC first. No way would I put up with that.

Tom

Post subject: fresh reinstall
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:18 pm 

It is what I was taught to do and still makes sense to me. Over time, all manner of files get left behind and build up on a computer. For example, install a piece of software and it can create a lot of files as part of the install that it then allegedly uninstalls at the end. A lot of those files are not installed. Uninstall a piece of software and files are still left behind. Update drivers, garbage is left behind. God knows garbage left in a temporary file folder that you can attempt to delete till the cows come home and they will refuse to delete. You can run Disc Cleanup or any number of commercial utilities and there will still be a build up garbage.

Virtually everyone I know does a fresh install periodically. That includes people who work as Tech Support for various companies. It has been a common practice for a long time. The difference is immediately obvious if you look at how much free space you have on your hard drive. The do a clean install, obviously including all the same software and files you had installed. You will see that after the clean install you have more free space and your system will run more smoothly.

I tend to be somewhat religious about running disk cleanup and other optimization utilities thendoing a defrag. Long answer. But prefer to give as complete answer as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:06 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

every 2-3 months is a bit overkill, the only reason i've had to do clean installs that much is due to a crappy nvidia motherboard which has since been replaced. And to go through all that crap over and over again, reformat, reinstall windows, reinstall drivers, reinstall MS word, reinstall and re-activate photoshop, I'd go insane. If you really think going through all of that every 2-3 months is beneficial just invest in a big backup drive, and make an image of your setup with ghost, or acronis truimage, and be done with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:55 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Nero is great bloat, it's nice to have software that can bring a dream machine to a crawl.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:48 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Well i got the "youve installed this too many times message" a few days ago. I emailed nero and told them that in an effort to stop piracy they lost a paying customer. I'm never buying another nero product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:03 am 
Team Member
Team Member

bathtbgin wrote:
every 2-3 months is a bit overkill, the only reason i've had to do clean installs that much is due to a crappy nvidia motherboard which has since been replaced. And to go through all that crap over and over again, reformat, reinstall windows, reinstall drivers, reinstall MS word, reinstall and re-activate photoshop, I'd go insane. If you really think going through all of that every 2-3 months is beneficial just invest in a big backup drive, and make an image of your setup with ghost, or acronis truimage, and be done with it.

Agree 100%.
I only re-install maybe once a year and I do all kinds of crap on my computers. I usually set up a fresh install, update it as much as possible and install my most important core programs. Then I image the drive.
Once that is done, I install whatever else I want that is non-essntial and go on with life for about a year or so.

The next time I have to re-install, it is about a 15 min process to get a clean system back after I backup my essentials again.

But to do this every 3 months seems very much overkill even for the elite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:40 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Along with that, don't install applications like this on a questionable OS. Meaning, you install the very first application on a stable OS. Or, you do it a lot of times and run out of activations like you have.
tpatenaude wrote:
I did also point out that at a time when millions of people have two or three computers in their homes, it is disgusting you can only install on one machine and their is nothing on the box to tell consumers this. Consumers should be warning about this limitation just like Symantec and McAfee do right on the outside of the box.
You're being selfish thinking it's not been warned and only notifies you when you've exceeded your limits. It's not on the side of the box, as it should be as with every single piece of software you buy. Can you name one, single application you can install on more than one computer and remain safe from legal action? Really?

"I agree" was clicked each and every time you installed it. I'll be going through the EULA here when it finishes.
Nero8 EULA wrote:
THIS IS A LEGAL AGREEMENT BETWEEN YOU, THE "END USER", AND NERO AG, IM STOECKMAEDLE 13-15, 76307 KARLSBAD, GERMANY.

THIS AGREEMENT IS EFFECTIVE

1. BY OPENING THE SEALED PACKING OF NERO´S SOFTWARE ON THE "EFFECTIVE DATE," YOU ARE AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, PROMPTLY RETURN THE SOFTWARE AND ALL THE ACCOMPANYING ITEMS (INCLUDING WRITTEN MATERIALS AND BINDERS OR OTHER CONTAINERS) TO THE PLACE YOU OBTAINED THEM FOR A FULL REFUND.

OR

2. BY INSTALLING THE DOWNLOADED NERO, YOU ARE AGREEING TO BE BOUND BY THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT BY MEANS OF CLICKING THE "ACCEPT" BUTTON ON THE WEBSITE. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE TO THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT, PROMPTLY UNINSTALL AND DELETE THE SOFTWARE AND ALL THE ACCOMPANYING ITEMS (INCLUDING DOCUMENTATION OR MANUALS) IF THE TERMS OF THIS AGREEMENT COMPRISE AN OFFER BY NERO, THEN YOUR ACCEPTANCE IS EXPRESSLY LIMITED TO THE TERMS CONTAINED HEREIN.

This Agreement permits you to use one copy of the Software acquired with this license on any single computer ("OEM License"), provided the Software is in use on only one computer at any given time.
Can't argue with that. At a given time, you've installed it on more than you've stated you agreed to.

You then are the soul owner of the responsibility of prooving that you haven't changed anything since the very first install.

It's not shifty, it's open, not on the box, but I can read it right here:
http://www.nero.com/enu/end-user-agreement.html
Did you read that when you clicked "OK"...each, and every time you burned out you're 9-lives?

Your EULA is still important to read. Is it still on the drive and postable?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:29 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I still use Nero 6 because I don't want to deal with any of this shit.

Plus, the later versions are bloatware, and v6 does all I need it to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:36 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Chumly wrote:
You're being selfish thinking it's not been warned and only notifies you when you've exceeded your limits. It's not on the side of the box, as it should be as with every single piece of software you buy. Can you name one, single application you can install on more than one computer and remain safe from legal action?

I can, basically every adobe product allows you to install it on two computers. if you want to install it on another computer you have to deactivate a previous install.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:40 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I'm not sure if they still do this but Microsoft Office allowed you to install it on 2 computers, provided they're not used at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:32 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

bathtbgin wrote:
Chumly wrote:
You're being selfish thinking it's not been warned and only notifies you when you've exceeded your limits. It's not on the side of the box, as it should be as with every single piece of software you buy. Can you name one, single application you can install on more than one computer and remain safe from legal action?

I can, basically every adobe product allows you to install it on two computers. if you want to install it on another computer you have to deactivate a previous install.
It's not clear on the number of times though either. The most it states on number is this:
Which says you don't have to do what you say you do...up to a certain of times, which may not be an issue here. It is with Nero, and says so.

Digital signing of an install is going to increase, even for Adobe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:35 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Wareagle wrote:
I still use Nero 6 because I don't want to deal with any of this shit.

Plus, the later versions are bloatware, and v6 does all I need it to.

AMEN, brother! :D V.6 rocks and doesn't have the bugs that v 7 was notorious for.

I do believe that version 6 won't work on Vista, so Vista users are unfortunately SOL and are stuck with (yuck) v7 and v8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:37 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Also it doesn't work in Windows XP 64-bit (and probably Server 2003)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:53 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

Wareagle wrote:
I'm not sure if they still do this but Microsoft Office allowed you to install it on 2 computers, provided they're not used at the same time.

office 2007 is the same, two computers, any more and you have to uninstall one. also you cant activate more than twice every 90 days.