Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Nvidia sucks!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:59 am 

Nvidia's Geforce 8400 and 8600 laptop GPU's all seem to have a overheating problem. However, Nvidia is denying ANY problem. This worries me. My Dell XPS m1530 has a Geforce 8400 GS and i am worried that it may fail. I am currently thinking of buying an ATI graphics card and switching to that instead. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:07 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

Complaining about heat from a mobile GPU!!!

You should blame Dell first, if the GPU isn't getting the correct coolong then it's Dells fault.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:32 am 

I share youre pain, ive had geforce cards since like the geforce 2, and they have all failed on me. I don't know how I get such bad luck

Post subject: Re: Nvidia sucks!!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:50 pm 

G33k wrote:
Nvidia's Geforce 8400 and 8600 laptop GPU's all seem to have a overheating problem. However, Nvidia is denying ANY problem. This worries me. My Dell XPS m1530 has a Geforce 8400 GS and i am worried that it may fail. I am currently thinking of buying an ATI graphics card and switching to that instead. :(

I'm right there with you. However, before you spend the money on an ATi part, know that the nVidia chip is soldered onto the motherboard...there is very little (read: none) chance that you could swap chips yourself. The only way you will get the part replaced is if Dell finally acknowledges that there is a problem with the hardware and replace the parts (albeit on nVidia's dime...). And, as far as I have been able to see, that is a very difficult prospect.

drainbread wrote:
Complaining about heat from a mobile GPU!!!

You should blame Dell first, if the GPU isn't getting the correct coolong then it's Dells fault.

Not so: the issue is on the hardware side, not the builder's side. nVidia has come out and said that such and such chips are affected...the real question is how many, and as far as I can read, nVidia isn't spilling details.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:17 pm 

G33k wrote:

If you insist on owning a laptop with semi-decent graphics, then it WILL be hot!!

This is just a fact of life, if you don't like it then don't get such a good laptop!!

You don't need to come on here and complain about Nvidia, because for the most part their products are very good.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:40 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

DL007 wrote:
G33k wrote:

If you insist on owning a laptop with semi-decent graphics, then it WILL be hot!!

This is just a fact of life, if you don't like it then don't get such a good laptop!!

You don't need to come on here and complain about Nvidia, because for the most part their products are very good.

He has every right to complain about Nvidia parts. Stop your Fanboi reactions and look at facts. Don't get such a good laptop? Give me a break!

I've preferred Nvidia over ATI for some years now. But when Nvidia is screwing up, like they have on laptop parts, you have to be up front and honest about it.

@ the OP:

As mentioned, you won't be able to just "switch" to a different video solution with a laptop. That's one of the big disadvantages of most laptops. Lack of upgrade options.

The good news is that at least Nvidia is acknowledging a problem. The laptop manufacturers should be issuing an update soon to at least partially address the overheating. I would also imagine an extended period of warranty will be available due to this. Otherwise, Nvidia could face some extensive class action lawsuits.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:54 pm 

Quakindude wrote:
He has every right to complain about Nvidia parts. Stop your Fanboi reactions and look at facts. Don't get such a good laptop? Give me a break!

I've preferred Nvidia over ATI for some years now. But when Nvidia is screwing up, like they have on laptop parts, you have to be up front and honest about it.

@ the OP:

As mentioned, you won't be able to just "switch" to a different video solution with a laptop. That's one of the big disadvantages of most laptops. Lack of upgrade options.

The good news is that at least Nvidia is acknowledging a problem. The laptop manufacturers should be issuing an update soon to at least partially address the overheating. I would also imagine an extended period of warranty will be available due to this. Otherwise, Nvidia could face some extensive class action lawsuits.

All I'm saying is that if you have a LAPTOP (meaning a VERY small enclosure for some very HOT hardware) It will run HOT!?!?

It makes sense. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:19 am 
Willamette
Willamette

G33k wrote:

I have a Dell XPS M1530 too, but with a 8600GT and it does get hot when i play games but only graphics intensive games, mainly the newer games. I'm plannig on buying a laptop cooler so i don't burn my laptop.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:43 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

DL007 wrote:
Quakindude wrote:

@ the OP:

All I'm saying is that if you have a LAPTOP (meaning a VERY small enclosure for some very HOT hardware) It will run HOT!?!?

It makes sense. :roll:

No, you told the OP 'not to buy such a good laptop' when he is having problems because his laptop DOES NOT WORK.

It is not somewhat warm .. the laptop DOES NOT WORK.

I'd repeat the same phrase in capital letters but I doubt you'll catch the hint if you haven't already done so. His hardware doesn't work because nvidia fubared this generation of their laptop graphics chips and he has every right to complain and to warn others about the problem that he is having.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:52 am 

re: Quakindude

If nVidia is finally owning up to this, have you any clue what our options are? I have heard some people getting an entirely new motherboard with an ATi chip...

But, yeah, it sucks that the video chip isn't user upgradeable...whatever happened to that idea, anyway?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:38 am 

Jipstyle wrote:
No, you told the OP 'not to buy such a good laptop' when he is having problems because his laptop DOES NOT WORK.

I'd repeat the same phrase in capital letters but I doubt you'll catch the hint if you haven't already done so. His hardware doesn't work because nvidia fubared this generation of their laptop graphics chips and he has every right to complain and to warn others about the problem that he is having.

Ok, so maybe I got carried away. The title of this thread is 'Nvidia Sucks', just because this guys laptop 'happens' to not work, does not mean that Nvidia is to blame.

As the other guy said before, it is probably the manufacturer of that laptop.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:01 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

DL007 wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

Ok, so maybe I got carried away. The title of this thread is 'Nvidia Sucks', just because this guys laptop 'happens' to not work, does not mean that Nvidia is to blame.

As the other guy said before, it is probably the manufacturer of that laptop.

Uh. Shit. Look dude. GET. IT. THROUGH. YOUR. HEAD. Nvidia IS to blame for this. Nvidia has taken responsibility for it. It IS a hardware issue. And Nvidia does SUCK when you've just paid $1000-1500 for a laptop and the friggin thing overheats and underperforms due to a BAD GPU.

Your options in this situation will be limited to whatever the manufacturer of the laptop decides. Most likely, it will work like this:

1. Your laptop HAS to fail. The GPU HAS to die before they will even consider a remedy.
2. Once your laptop has FAILED, you will be required to open an RMA ticket with that company and mail them your laptop....should be at the company's expense.
3. You will WAIT for a stupidly long amount of time befor eyou get your laptop back.
4. When you get your laptop back, it will have one of the following:
a. The same part number motherboard with another 8400/8600GS GPU.
b. A new part number mobo with a different Nvidia GPU.
**Note** This part may or may not be comparable in performance to what you had originally.
c. A new part number mobo with a new ATI GPU.

Unfortunately, the customer will suffer the most, as usual. There will be attitudes, bitching, moaning and groaning. And much of it will be understandable due to the customer bearing the brunt of the suck in this. But the reality is, unless someone spearheads a class action lawsuit about it, the options will remain slim. Even after a class action suit, the options will be slim. But perhaps a tad better.

Hopefully, Nvidia and her partners will surprise the hell out of everyone and simply give up a bunch of 8800GS like parts that perform better than the original parts and do not overheat.

But don't hold your breath.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:26 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

Uh???

Dell is the largest OEM out there correct??

How did they not drop the ball, how are they not at fault?

Does dell not do product testing? If they did, this issue would have been known from the start...

If not then Dell should be ashamed.

Nvidia...
Did they release a bad product? I guess so.

Does Nvidia have to test every last configuration its product will be used in... NO.

Could inhouse testing be flawed or inconsistent with real world data... hell yes!

Final judgement:

Dell should have caught this and scrapped the product line, they should have told Nvidia to stick it.