Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Asus, the worst customer service I have ever received.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:58 am 

I recently purchased an Asus 8800 GTS from www.newegg.com for my computer. After about 30 minutes of play I began to notice artifacts. I checked this problem from every angle beginning with drivers. The issues soon increased in frequency and severity, my system became very unstable crashing constantly. I tried the video card in my son's computer which I had built a few months prior to this one to find the same issues. I contacted www.newegg.com and they were more than willing to send me a new Asus 8800 GTS. I installed the new video card and got everything up to speed and I had similar problems.

I called Asus to resolve the problem. After a 40 minutes of hold time I was re-directed to their Tech Support. My experience with Asus Tech Support was an absolute nightmare. While going through the motions of troubleshooting the Asus tech agent began having a PERSONAL CONVERSATION with a fellow employee about meeting up that night. After I re-captured the tech agent’s attention I told him I wanted to exchange the card for another model. I was transferred to the RMA department for another 25 minute hold. Finally I reached someone from the RMA department, I explained my issues with the card and the poor customer service which I had received. I was also denied a request to exchange the 8800 GTS for a better model and pay the difference. I was told that it is “not in the return policyâ€

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:42 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Your Experience with Asus Tech support is not uncommon. And its not just Asus. Over the years of building systems, I've had to call Tech support a few times with various companies and they're all very similar. Poor support.

Thankfully Newegg is always very helpful in RMAing parts and working the the purchaser.

So in a nutshell, I feel your pain. I've experienced this type of support time and time again. But this is how customer service as a whole is. Even with things other than computer parts. My Bank, Cell phone service, Directv, Mortgage company. When ever I have a problem with anything it seems, customer service is always a nightmare. Its sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:24 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

Take the hit at Newegg for returning it and get an EVGA, BFG or XFX card. EVGA is still my personal favorite though. Their customer service is top notch.

Many people get the Asus models because they're priced a tad lower than EVGA and when they work, and most of them do, they perform very well. But it's that one time you need their customer support where your small savings goes out the window.

Return your card to Newegg and get the EVGA. IF you need tech support, you will be happy with the outcome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:29 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I second the recommendation of EVGA. Their tech support has always been great.

I too have delt with Asus tech support via email. Asus has earned their bad reputation the old fashioned way: they earned it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:00 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Just called them (ASUS) again asking for the status of my RMA. They said they'd send me an email with the status of the RMA, and haven't.

It's been 3 weeks now. At least they're better than Abit (who makes my motherboard, which coincidentally died at about the same time as my video card). Abit doesn't answer the phone at all. I called them on a weekday morning and got the answering machine. Twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:05 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

You guys MUST go to your retailer first. Most have at least a 30 day, and many have 1 year. Newegg is flawless in this exchange, and you let THEM deal with the manufacturer.

When the warranty is up with the retailer, THEN you go to the manufacturer.

You didn't try everything. I see no other posts, your name shows up no where as a forum name asking other users as to your problem, and the card could work just fine and you're just spinning your wheels. One post saying Asus support sucks, which it does. Almost all pretty much do.

And I'm not a fan of eVGA. Why? The answer is in the number of you (and I included) that have had to actually use it. I've used eVGA customer support on every product and they are in fact good. But beyond that, I've only used VisionTek about a month ago on something I broke myself. So on brand really sticks out...why is that good? Honestly. If I make crap, I better have a good support team. (and it's not all on them. nVidia is making the calls here). Sure eVGA support is good, but that's not a reason to buy them or call them good. You should NEVER need support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:44 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

We are dealing with electronics brother. I've built with EVGA, BFG, XFX, Visionteck, Sapphire, Diamond, Gigabyte, MSI, Asus, Gainward, Antec, Corsiar, OCZ, Intel, AMD and the list goes on. I've needed tech support from every single one of them at one time or another. When it comes to EVGA, they have some of the best in the biz. And for every component I call on for EVGA, there's at least 12 more I don't. Asus, I've had to call on every third to fourth. MSI has been the second suckiest.

If EVGA appears to have more returns, what's their market share like? And do you know who make EVGA's components for them on their most often returned products?

So from the hundred or so systems I've put together in the last 18 months, I'd say EVGA has had the lowest incidence of returns due to faulty components.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:58 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Well, I'm going to have to issue a rebuttal to Asus. It's been 3 long weeks, but they finally decided to respond and told me they don't have any replacements for my video card, so they're going to send me a new 256MB 8600GT (which is quite an upgrade from my 256MB 6800GT).

Props to Asus for that, I just wished they'd make their web site work and give me a status email when they said they would.