Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help with PC CHIPS Junk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:30 pm 

Does anyone on this forum have any inside info as to how to get PCCHIPS
attention. About a month ago I had one of their Mobo's M848 give up the ghost. Yes it is still under warranty. They suggested resetting the CMOS.....gee I wish I'd thought a that. and several other suggestions they sent by email. Yes it worked for a few days but finally failed to respond to
anything I did. Now all I get when I call is redirected to the operator who is never there. Any ideas.

Post subject: Re: Help with PC CHIPS Junk
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:16 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

reddryder92 wrote:
Does anyone on this forum have any inside info as to how to get PCCHIPS
attention. About a month ago I had one of their Mobo's M848 give up the ghost. Yes it is still under warranty. They suggested resetting the CMOS.....gee I wish I'd thought a that. and several other suggestions they sent by email. Yes it worked for a few days but finally failed to respond to
anything I did. Now all I get when I call is redirected to the operator who is never there. Any ideas.

Cut your losses. Go buy a board from a better company.

I'm sorry if this sounds brutal or flamish. But PC-CHIPS, as you've noted is JUNK. And the company is just a cheap box-pusher.

At this point, your board can be gotten on Newegg for $50.

I don't care WHAT they CLAIM to do for support. They aren't going to support something that costs more in tech time than it does to simply replace.

Start looking to build yourself a new system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:56 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Ah, the joys of buying cheap crap. Never lasts

Post subject: cheap stuff
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:08 pm 

no it doesnt seem brutal or flamish makes sense......if I had the money and wanted to throw my video card, processor, memory etc away and buy new. cause it looks to me like no one nowadays supports AGP and i spent wayyyy to much money on a all in wonder card to throw it away. you can flame the aiw card too if you want but the point is i like it it worked well and im on an extremely tight budget.....doesnt mean I wont build a new machine .....probably will soon but i want this one to run again mainly cause the sobs owe me a new mobo.

PC Chips should change their name to Peice of Shit.

Later

Post subject: Re: cheap stuff
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:01 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

reddryder92 wrote:
no it doesnt seem brutal or flamish makes sense......if I had the money and wanted to throw my video card, processor, memory etc away and buy new. cause it looks to me like no one nowadays supports AGP and i spent wayyyy to much money on a all in wonder card to throw it away. you can flame the aiw card too if you want but the point is i like it it worked well and im on an extremely tight budget.....doesnt mean I wont build a new machine .....probably will soon but i want this one to run again mainly cause the sobs owe me a new mobo.

PC Chips should change their name to Peice of Shit.

Later

Well, Newegg has the same board still for sale. $50. It's pretty much the only board available. The only other Socket A board is a Jetway with a Geode processor already attached.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:06 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: Rest in Peace... Stratplan & Whitecree & Thomasvjones
red,

If you don't mind buying a refurbished motherboard, Geeks has an ASRock K7S8X ATX motherboard. It is based on the SiS746FX chipset with support for socket A CPUs. Same chipset as your PCChips motherboard and three DDR slots to boot!
The link is Here and be aware it is Just the MB. No drivers, hardware or I/O plate is included.
Geeks has a bunch of Socket A boards...... that one is just the closest match to your PCChips unit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:54 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

How much did you pay for this M848? Did you get your money's worth?

Post subject: dead mobo
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:30 am 

Thanks for all the input, I may still have to buy a new mobo, but resubmitted
all the info on the dead board to PC-CHIPS via their online support and I'll
try their phone route one more time, most times I have called I just get sent back to the operator who's never there, how convenient!!

As for did I get my moneys worth? dont think so.lasted about 6mos and started screwing up, guess thats no worse than the FIC board I bought last
time.

Post subject: PC Chips M848
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:01 pm 

I built a system using this board and it is still in use close to four years later. You don't have to build an entire new system, just swap out the board with one that has the same chipset, if not another M848. Windows will even find the board and you may not even have to re-load windows if it is the same board or close, like an ECS of the same chipset. I would double check the power supply, as a cheap supply can help shorten the boards life.

Post subject: Re: dead mobo
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:55 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

reddryder92 wrote:
Thanks for all the input, I may still have to buy a new mobo, but resubmitted
all the info on the dead board to PC-CHIPS via their online support and I'll
try their phone route one more time, most times I have called I just get sent back to the operator who's never there, how convenient!!

As for did I get my moneys worth? dont think so.lasted about 6mos and started screwing up, guess thats no worse than the FIC board I bought last
time.

Which FIC board did you buy and when? I bought their AU13 motherboard when I built a computer for my nephew nearly five years ago (I recently repackaged it in a different case and sold it to my uncle back in March) and it is still going strong! However, I do know that they stopped manufacturing mobos about a year or two ago.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:20 am 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

I'll take resurrecting old posts for $1000 Alex.