Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bioware adds steam like protection to Premium Modules
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:38 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

With the release of their premium modules for NWN, Bioware has included copy protection wich requires the users computer to verify the installation each time the game is opened with an online server. The modules are also locked to prevent use with the NWN toolset.

Although I might begrudgingly comply with a one time online activation, the requirement to connect with an online server every time I want to play the game is just too much.

I realize that developers such as Bioware have a right to protect their product from piracy, but as many have said in regard to HL 2, this is going too far. As a consumer I will be exercising my rights by not purchasing these products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:19 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

These are new modules created by Bioware?

Do you pay for them off the web site or something?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm getting the lowdown at Bioware right now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:47 pm 

After reading the angry threads and the Bioware FAQ, I don't think I'd be purchasing the Premium Modules at all.

Anything that requires me to authenticate everytime I want to play is bullshit. What happens when I'm on vacation and I want to play a module and have no access to the internet? or I'm bored on a train and want to whip out the lappy for a little fun? how about when Bioware goes out of business and the authentication servers are gone?

Fuck that. These people are getting out of control with the protection measures.

It's almost pushing people to pirate the software because the people who cracked or will crack the module will have the ability to play it wherever they want without an internet connection which would be a highly desirable option.

When Neverwinter Nights came out I gladly dropped loot for the game and the expansion packs. The annoying CD check everytime I wanted to play the game wasn't so bad, I can live with that, but this shit is unforgiviable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:08 pm 
There is no cause for alarm... yet
There is no cause for alarm... yet

Flytrap7 wrote:
It's almost pushing people to pirate the software because the people who cracked or will crack the module will have the ability to play it wherever they want without an internet connection which would be a highly desirable option.

Fair use is going to be an interesting topic in years to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:45 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I purchased and played NWN, and all the expansions. I will not purchase "Premium" modules if I'm required to authenticate every single time.

I haven't bought HL2, either...and currently don't plan on it. I've waited and really wanted this game just like everyone else, so why would I not buy it? Because I'm not going to support a company that takes out it's own poor internal security and software piracy out on me.

What if my cable goes out? What if I want to play it on a laptop on a trip? What if I play games on a machine not connected to the internet? All of a sudden, I've got a $50 piece of useless software?

No, we already pay a lot for a game as it is, theoretically part of that cost is due to piracy. Fine, but I'm not going to pay more on top of that, whether it's monetary, or unreasonable restrictions on when and how I can play.

In the end, it's only a game, and I have the self control to not support a company overstepping it's bounds.

I don't need Valve or Bioware to survive.