Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Toshiba Lies
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:28 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hi guys, I’m new here but I do have an issue to get your attention. On late October of this year, I was cleaning out my basement and I found my old laptop notebook. It is a Toshiba Satellite 1605CDS. I remember that was a present from my Father when he when on a business trip to the USA about 6 years ago. I had stop using that PC because the keyboard on the system was broken and it only had 32MB of RAM. However, I thought if I can upgrade this PC, I can use it as an internet firewall. So I ran the CPU-Z test on it.

The CPU-Z reads the computer as a AMD-K6 500MHz. At 100MHz Bus and 5x multiplier. However, when I open the Laptop, I found out that the CPU is actually an overclocked 450MHz AMD-K6.

I’m not really upset by this finding, but it got me thinking. Toshiba is a really large and suppose to be an honest company. If they are dealing with such scrupulous things as overclocked laptop 6 years ago, what unspeakable scrupulous things are they dealing in now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:54 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I know Toshiba has some very shady practices regarding honoring (or not honoring) EULAs on their laptops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:20 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Overclocking a lesser chip slightly was a common,"shady practice," among certain vendors a little while back, but now I think that as the consumer grows smarter each day, vendors have to find new gimmiks.

Post subject: Re: Toshiba Lies
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:48 am 
Team Member
Team Member

phoenix2099 wrote:
Hi guys, I’m new here but I do have an issue to get your attention. On late October of this year, I was cleaning out my basement and I found my old laptop notebook. It is a Toshiba Satellite 1605CDS. I remember that was a present from my Father when he when on a business trip to the USA about 6 years ago. I had stop using that PC because the keyboard on the system was broken and it only had 32MB of RAM. However, I thought if I can upgrade this PC, I can use it as an internet firewall. So I ran the CPU-Z test on it.

The CPU-Z reads the computer as a AMD-K6 500MHz. At 100MHz Bus and 5x multiplier. However, when I open the Laptop, I found out that the CPU is actually an overclocked 450MHz AMD-K6.

I’m not really upset by this finding, but it got me thinking. Toshiba is a really large and suppose to be an honest company. If they are dealing with such scrupulous things as overclocked laptop 6 years ago, what unspeakable scrupulous things are they dealing in now?

this might not have been a toshiba issue more as a independent vendor issue.