Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:03 pm 
Will Mod for Scooby Snacks!
Will Mod for Scooby Snacks!

My experiences with Best Buy are pretty much bad.....
I never ask for help, even though from the time I walk in to the time I get to the back of the store where the comp stuff is, I have been asked if I needed help by at least 5 people..... Actually it kinda makes me mad, like they suspect me of something......

But anyway, a couple of weeks ago i went in looking to see if they had any cdrs/hdd's on sale, and this guy walks up to me, and asks if I need help, of course I said no (again), I just said I came in to see what sales they had on cdrs/hdd's compared to Office Depot which is two stores down... Well me and this guy ending up chatting for about 45 minutes, about the latest technology and different prices and such on the web...
One of the other reps comes over, and was like 'What's going on here?'
I said excuse me but he's helping me...

But anyway, he was Actually the first KNOWLEGABLE person I have ever met at Best Buy..... Amazing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 1:20 pm 

yep that guy was me when i worked there....i always got yelled at when i was talking with customers and lendin any knowledge i might have to them....whether they knew alot or alittle i always thought it was the best way to keep customers coming back....dont harrass them just casually chat and shit.....but of course best buy wouldnt want us to actually become friends with the customer.......noooooooo.......especially if the arent necisarily gonna buy anything righ tthen and there.....but yea it sounds like you actually got a sales person who really knew what they were talking about for once....and ya know what......he probably has got fired or will be fired in the next month or so.....just cuz he enjoys talkin with customers

Post subject: woot something I can relate to.
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:20 pm 

Currently I work at best buy in kansas city, and let me tell you most of what has been said here is true. I work for the geek squad part of BB.

There are 2 kinds of people that are hired at best buy.

Managers and Sales people. They do not hire on knowledge, they hire on your appearance, attitude and what you like (area you like/want to work in).

The problems that come up from Best Buy are because of one thing. Everyone there is meant to be a sales person *unless your a manager, still a sales person though*. Back in my department (geek squad) there are, about... 14 employees. There are about 3 moderately intelligent people when it comes to computers (1 being myself), and 2 highly intelligent people when it comes to them. The manager, being one of the 2, does not do the hiring of this department, guess who does? The Sales manager, GO FIGURE! Everyone else is either stupid, a good salesman, or goes to college(and does not know jack* *which apparently automatically makes you a genius? According to the sales manager anyway*

So the same problem happens in every department *except appliances, you would only REALLY want to work in there if you knew something about it, atleast all the people that work in it here do anyway*

The only good thing that comes of the sales reps not being on commision is that it means the ones with knowledge *there are SOME in sales* are gonna sell you crap you don't need, because greed can't get to them.

However commision or not the idiots sell just as much because they don't know any better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:11 pm 

yes.....the prob in my store was that those who didnt sell as much as possible were lechtured about not selling everything and how they could have sold more....now there are somthings that are good ideas....i do agree with the service plans on the pcs and laptops in most areas....for someone who doesnt know how to take care of the comp themselves that is.....but the amount of adons we as sales people were pushed to was totally wrong....i know they try to attach all these because they make jack shit on laptops and computers but sales people shouldnt be yelled at because the buyer didnt wanna buy somthin extra that they didnt need

Post subject: well..
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:54 pm 

Another big problem is, not enough people in computers. When I am off I still hang around and look at the new toys we get in. I listen to the conversations between the sales people and the customer. As computer sales people they are just too rushed. Its all about handing them the computer and shoving them out the door telling them is easy from there on out. For us yes, its very simple, but for the average joe you need time to explain everything and answer every question..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:02 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

This is so true I don't know how many times I've seen this when I am in my local Best Buy of which I tried to get hired but als knew to much I blew the interviewer away with what I know. She knew nothing about computers. Any ways I was in my local Best Buy and I can't help but over hear this sales person trying to sell this High end video card to this gentleman and the guy kept telling the sales man he wasn't into doing or playing any of the stuff he was saying he wanted a basic video card but the sales man just kept saying that he'll be able to play this game and that game, so when the sales man left to check on something I walk up to the guy and ask him what exactly do you want to do and what do you need . He tells me the same thing he'd been telling the saleperson so I tell him all you need is this video card so when the saleman comes back the guy tells him he's decided on this video card and not the one he was trying to sell him. He turns to me and thanks me boy the look on the slaemans face was pricless. instead of paying over $200 for the one video card The one I picked only cost $60. I never ask any questions.

Post subject: Would you pay Geek Squad to fix your computer?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 6:48 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1018260&page=1