Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bestbuy lies
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:43 pm 

I know this is nothing new, however today upset me. I went into bestbuy and asked for a Canon A85, they ignored me instead choosing to teach new employees what a MegaPixel is, Once someone finally helped me out they told me that the 32MB CF card that came with the camara would only talk 4 pictures at normal resloutions and i needed a 256-512MB card inorder to take pictures. I corrected him and once home i got out my new camara and took 16 pictures on a resloution of 2272x1704 with the setting to superfine detail. It just steams me to see people flat out lie to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:46 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Your pictures were likely compressed, stealing intangable image quality.

While you don't *need* a bigger card, I for one am a big fan of fatty storage solutions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:13 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Well Best Buy employees are idiots, they have to be to work at Best Buy for more than 6 months.

Anyways I always highly suggest someone get a bigger card, like a 128 or 256MB, because the card included with the camera is rarely enough for a day of pictures with most families.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:33 pm 
There is no cause for alarm... yet
There is no cause for alarm... yet

PPGMD wrote:
I always highly suggest someone get a bigger card, like a 128 or 256MB, because the card included with the camera is rarely enough for a day of pictures with most families.

Agreed.
I'd rather have one card able to store the equivalent to two rolls of film (48 pics) than have to switch cards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:47 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Its me and my dads personal goal to make one of the employees cry before we leave best buy. Its usually a guy is whats funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:55 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Aren't flash cards cheap anyway?

Example: High-End CF card

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:52 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

The only two real tech-geared outlet stores where I live are a Radio Shack and a Staples, and I have been to both countless times, and of those countless times I have learned who to usually turn to and rely on sound advice. As I see it, there are three general classifications of outlet store employees (floor workers, more specifically):

1. Those who look too geeky
  2. Those who look too professional
  3. Those who look like they woke up 10 minutes ago

The ones who look too geeky are just that: looks. I've run into atleast 3 or 4 who've actually worn pocket protectors in their front shirt pocket and look like they know everything about electronics, but it's been my experience that they generally don't. They may know tons about a very specialized area of technology, and should you ask them about what they know, then -jackpot-. Otherwise you're better off asking the next guy...

The one that looks too professional. You've seen them before, although you may not realize it at first: business casual, dress shirt (usually blue or grey) with appropriate tie, short hair cut, dress shoes. They act like they know everything about everything they sell in their store but in reality all they spout is rehearsed rhetoric. You can test this by asking one of them about a product, then asking another one about the same product not more than 5 minutes later. Gauranteed their speeches and testimonials about the product will be almost identical.

The last one on the list is usually the last person you would normally approach. Sometimes gulping down caffinated beverages to stay awake, with a 2 day stubble on their chin, occaisional eye or lip piercing or even tatoo showing, long hair. However I have learned to trust them in the two stores (usually Staples as my Radio Shack outlet is very strict on dress codes, apparently) as nearly every time I've turned to them for advice they've always steered me in the proper direction with as little bullshit as possible. The could even goldbrick for 10 minutes while I wait, but I don't care, because I actually feel my chances of getting screwed are greatly reduced when being served by these guys than the other two types.

Why? I think it's because deep down they don't give jack about the store so they are willing to be on the level with you and maybe even help you score a better deal.

Case in point, my last major purcase at Staples nearly 5 months ago for a new monitor when my trusty IBM 17" crapped out after 3 years of faithful service (found it at the dump). All I wanted was a simple 17" CRT replacement. Nothing fancy, no frills, just .25 DPI and flat screen if at all possible.

First guy I ask is the geeky type, who instantly upon hearing the words "flat screen" thinks I'm looking for an LCD, so that's all he shows me for 5 minutes without even listening to me say "CRT". Judging by his facial expression when I stopped him, he didn't even know what CRT meant.

Ten minutes later I approach the professional looking type, who also tries to sell me into a $600 LCD with the sales pitch that it "is future proof and compliant with all newer video cards", amoung other things. It sounded like he was reading from a cue card over my shoulder.

Finally, I went to the third type of worker. He said "no prob" and followed me along the display case until I pointed out exactly what I wanted. He said "cool" and proceeded to write down the model number, asking me if I needed any cables, to which I replied no. He took off up into the warehouse where he dissapeared for 15 minutes.

He came back reeking of cigarettes and with no monitor, saying they were out. He apologized and then took the monitor off of the display shelf for me and put it into a box. I said that I would wait for one to come in but he said, "You'll get 10% off with this one as it was used for display purposes and it comes with the same 3 year warranty."

I was so damn happy. Total price came out to $180 CDN for a 17" flat screen CRT monitor with .25 DPI and 3 year replacement warranty. He even carried out to the van for me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:42 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

PPGMD wrote:
Well Best Buy employees are idiots, they have to be to work at Best Buy for more than 6 months.

I don't know wether to laugh my a$$ off or bang my head on the desk.

I walked into our bestbuy one time and saw this poor couple being taken advantage of by el dumbass, basicly the guy convinced these people that these are the only computers in the world and that no other store will have what they want. not only that, but they are compaqs for mobo's sake! I wanted to rush into a phone booth, come out with a cape and eye beam that son of a bio***. needless to say i did nothing of that sort, but did question they guy as to how he is comfortoable with missleading and lying to uninformed customers. his response * stares off into the big blue and yellow price tag*

Post subject: boo
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:38 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

i asked a guy at the local best buy what would be better an P4 550 or an 3500+

he said there both the same and the same speed

i shook my head and walked out

i would love to work at a best buy but could i ever get hired? NO im not dumb enough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:16 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

If you really want to stump them, ask them for details on any item and tell them they are not aloud to read the answers of the box.

"Oh uhhhhh, let me go get someone who works this area!!"

They are always filling in for someone else!!
Drew

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:23 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

SirBob1701 wrote:
Its me and my dads personal goal to make one of the employees cry before we leave best buy. Its usually a guy is whats funny.

:?
Why? While I'm no big fan of these joints, I *have* been in their shoes and it's incredibly annoying when some know it all prick with nothing better to do comes along and tries to pick on them. I know when I worked at compUSA I didn't want to be there any more than the next person, but it was a job.

I don't know if you realize it, but these places *do* carry a LOT of shit and it's not exactly easy to know exactly what each and every one does/features/whatever. Sure, some of them are complete morons and shouldn't be there, but some (like myself - when I worked there) are knowledgeable and did our best to help customers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:18 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Not to mention that people's expectations are a bit high when it comes to PC knowledge. These aren't high paying jobs, so it's not expected to find many employees working there with the kind of knowledge represented on this forum.

I think I might be the only one (or one of two) on this forum that doesn't have a problem with Best Buy. I don't go there to learn - I go there for the occassional advertised deal and/or to see something in person before ordering it online.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:50 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

One4yu2c wrote:
Not to mention that people's expectations are a bit high when it comes to PC knowledge. These aren't high paying jobs, so it's not expected to find many employees working there with the kind of knowledge represented on this forum.

exactly. While I would like someone that knows *something* about what they're selling, I don't expect them to be geeks like us. :)

Quote:
I think I might be the only one (or one of two) on this forum that doesn't have a problem with Best Buy. I don't go there to learn - I go there for the occassional advertised deal and/or to see something in person before ordering it online.

Count me as another. I only go there when I know what I want. I do however hate Fry's, as you have to get someone to actually get some of the parts for you (Processors, memory).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:43 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Seriously, I know what you mean. Twice now, I have been at Best Buy in computers listening to the sales clerks explaining shit to another customer. Then they say something thats so flat out bull shitty that I have to step in and say "No no no, Listen ma'am/sir, you don't need that, trust me, I build these things and corporate is telling these poor assholes to pitch sales on this crap that you don't need." Best buy is full of no-brain morons, and I swear, each one is more full of shit than the next...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 4:55 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Minky wrote:
I don't know wether to laugh my a$$ off or bang my head on the desk.

I walked into our bestbuy one time and saw this poor couple being taken advantage of by el dumbass, basicly the guy convinced these people that these are the only computers in the world and that no other store will have what they want. not only that, but they are compaqs for mobo's sake!

I personally would rather see them buy that Compaq than a Dell. We've owned 5 or 6 Compaq's, still have 2 in this house, 2 others live with relatives now, they are all decent machines. Sure they aren't custon built, but you know what, not everyone games, nor do they work with graphics. For an older couple that Best Buy Compaq may give them 4 to 5 years of service for email & web surfing. Compaq tech support is very good, even off of warrenty, the tech chat or email help will help you without charging, you can't beat that. The newer Compaq's can be upgraded with no problems. If they can buy that Compaq for $300 or $400, heck, why not?

One4yu2c wrote:

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you too.

I must be person #3. It is a convenience and I drive 50 minutes each way for. I also like to check products out before ordering online, or go in for sale items.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:11 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

i was in best buy and circuit city on thursday, i really really felt like asking them how the felt about selling things at rip-off prices, i.e. a 250GB HDD, they sell them for ~$230ish if i remember correctly, i just ordered a 250GB SATA Hitachi drive from zipoomfly for $134.50 with free shipping, i also loved how they ignored me while i was browsing through there computer parts, then when i looked at there DVDs they asked if i needed any help

Post subject: disgruntled employee
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:24 pm 

i used to work at best buy in pcho.......my store actually had a few people who knew what they were talkin about but even fewer who would sell to the customer the same way they would sell to their mother. this is what truly made me want to leave. my concience couldnt take it. i mean the pay was half way decent but i constently got into arguements with authority figures about my "disregard of sales procedures" aka....i wasnt tryin to give it to the customer up the a$$ on every sale and if they didnt buy the damn psp i wasnt treatin them like assholes like my superiors thought i should have. best buy is all about makin money. they honestly dont make very much on each computer they sell. i was better off takin the sale price on a laptop than my discount 99% of the time. never would buy a comp from there. but thats just me. im not mom and pop that have only had one old pentium pro thats finally shit the bed and just need a cheap pc cuz thats all they need. then again im also not the rich version of that same mom and pop that want the biggest and the baddest and dont want to have to know anything about how to fix it when they ifect it with spyware, trojans, and worms .....oh my. those are the people best buy targets to. they target the drooling mass consumers. people that dont care how it works just as long as they can have a new toy to tell jed and billy jo about at the next pta meeting. in my opinion they have questionable ethics/business practices when it comes to being honest with the customer...they like their employees to always mention to the customer that they arent on comision so it sounds like theres no pressure but when it comes down to it they push their sales people to sell like their life depended on it. what ever they can attatch do it and dont stop till you think they are about to say screw you im leaving. its all about theyre sales per transaction and psp/prp....they wanna be your friend......the friend that says oh yea you need this just so they can steal your wallet when your not looking. i felt like i was in boiler room....minus the retarded riddick....its all about selling more more more...until theyre all dried up...

all in all id like to say that im still friends with acouple of my x-coworkers because a few of em were good people...in the end i just didnt agree with theyre sales practices

Post subject: Re: disgruntled employee
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:18 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

djxcaliber wrote:
...they like their employees to always mention to the customer that they arent on comision so it sounds like theres no pressure but when it comes down to it they push their sales people to sell like their life depended on it...

One time I went into Best Buy to buy a $99 scanner. The sales guy asked if I wanted the Extended Warranty... I said I do not. So he rings it up and as I was watching the screen on the register I saw "Extended Warranty $10.00". I reminded the guy that I had said I don't want the Extended Warranty. He said he was giving me $10 off on the scanner and adding $10 for the warranty so my price would be the same. OK... whatever!

Now why would this guy do this if he wasn't under pressure to sell those warranties?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:43 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

In a demo of what a company thinks about the employees AND customers, they don't care.... here's an email that I got from head office, after trying to get my job back... (this was over the fact that my manager said I could have my job back at "The Real Canadian Superstore")

________Beginning of Letter_______________________

Hi (real name omitted).
I'm Zig, the Union Rep. for the Lloydminster RCSS. I wish I could say "I've
never heard that before", but I've heard it so many times it does not surprise
me. Your supervisor may or may not have been sincere, however they do not do the
hiring. If you have ever worked for Westfair Foods (RCSS, Extra Foods’ parent
Company) and had any problems, i.e. work related or medical, you will never work
for another Westfair company again. I have heard of people who had no problems
at work, but when they tried to get re-hired could not, do to the fact the
supervisor did not like them. The problem is to get RCSS to tell you why they
won’t re-hire you. Under the law they don’t have to. If you could get that
information you might be able file a complaint under Human Rights Laws.

I have filed many Grievances in the past two years dealing with injured people
at RCSS. If you are injured and RCSS thinks you might be a problem, in the
future, they try to get rid of you in the most cost efficient way possible. They
might even suggest that you quit; get yourself together and we’ll hire you back.
If you quit, they haven’t broken any laws, because you quit. They will never
hire you back; their problem is solved. Sad but true.

Unfortunately there is nothing I could do for you. I have, in the past tried to
get RCSS to tell me way someone was not getting hired back but they refused.
Since people who do not work for RCSS, are not covered by any Collective
Agreement, the H.R. department will not talk to us about them. The only way RCSS
talks to me is if they have to and that only happens if there is a violation of
the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Had you talked to me before you quit, I
would have told you there was a slim chance of getting re-hired with RCSS.

I am sorry that I haven’t been much help. RCSS is not a very caring Company. If
there is anything I might be able to assist you with, please contact me and I
will try to help.

Zig
UFCW Local 401

____end of letter______________________

They don't care about the customer... and there you have it --- they definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) don't give a rat's a$$ about their employees!

I will probably switch my SIN number and name now so I can work for them again :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:19 pm 

exactly its all about makin a buck to them.....they act like they want to be your friend but if you arent buyin buyin buyin then the employees are told not to waste their time with you....when i worked there i loved shootin the shit with random people who had questions or fellow pc builders/modders/gamers about the latest hardware, games, and other comp realated things....i was all about truly tryin to be a friend to the customer first then try to help them find what was right for them and not try to force stuff upon them. i very often told customers about free apps on the web that were better or as good as what we sold at best buy. things like avg anit-virus, ad-aware, spy-bot, eac, etc.....my managers hated when i did this because they thought it was bad for business....but they couldnt see past that initial sales oppurtunity. thats the prob with best buy they are all about what the call "attachment". their sales dept lives by this. this is were they make al ltheir money and they train their employees like crazy to sell this way....it really does make me sick that they push their employees to sell things that are totally unnecessary and pat them on the back when they do so....but if a customer finds out that they were sold somthing totally unnecessary and get angry then whos fault is it???? the employees....not the companies for their warped view on customer service or the managers for enforcing these policies...no it all comes down on the employee because he was the man on the front line. this happend once to me....in the entire time i worked there...i went against my morale instinct and sold a piece of computer equipment i didnt want to because of pressure from my boss to do so and when the customers friend told them when they got home that it was totally un needed.....guess who they made settle it....no my boss who told me to but me....so from that point on i said fuck best buy regulations and sold the way i wanted to sell....if the persons usage required certain things then they might have bought a lil more but if they didnt require it then they didnt get it.....my managers saw this and hated it. i was lectured mulitple times a day about my improper sales technique and i was consiquently written up serveral times for ignoring such lechtures and walking away while they were talking to me. they got the message and started to threatin to move me out of computers but then they started to notice somthing that i was getting customers that were coming in the store looking for me. customers that had come in before and i had recomended that they build their own pc becaues they knew enough about the workings of a pc.....they did so and were extremly happy at the money they saved and performance to cost ratio they got.....so happy infact that when they came back to get their 52" plasma tv they came right back to pcho to get me....even though i didnt work in home theatre they knew that i wasnt full of shit like most sales people in that store....they trusted me and with good reason. instead of throwing donw top dollar on a cheap ass hp tower....they threw down less for alot more. best buy cant see past their own face when it comes to customer loyalty....they say that they want to build repeat customers.....but by making them buy things they dont need that will never happen. if they could see through their own greed and learn a thing or two about real customer service. again im not bitter most of the people i work with because they are only tryin to do their jobs but the problem doesnt lye with them....its with iin the structure of best buy......management and upper management who declare and enforce policies that limit good customer service only to those who are paying for it and not those who just need help on deciding what to do.