Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Gateway=shite
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:25 pm 

I bought a gateway multimedia PC back in 2000 when I did not know much about computers. It was a top of the line machine back then and it had good hardware for the time. An AMD Athlon 1GHz, Radeon 7200 w/32mb, 128MB kingston, and I am not sure what the motherboard is though. If it is necessary I will tell you. Anyways, when I wanted to upgrade my video card and RAM to a GeForce Ti 4400 and add 512MB, I talked to Gateway's tech support and asked them if it would work. I did not want to buy it from them because it was over $100 more. I copied and pasted the info of the products I was buying directly from the webpage into the IM thing with Gateway. They told me it would work so I went ahead and purchased these things and put them in my computer. From the very begining I had framerates drop drastically, frequent lock-ups, and the computer only detecting my original 128MB. I switched the RAM into different slots to see if it was the slots and it still didnt recognize my 512MB. So I then talked to Gateway Tech support and I was told that I had to buy directly from them and that the memory wasn't "Gateway memory". Of course, Gateway memory was $300 more than where I bought it. I wasnt informed of this when I bought the computer and now I have 512MB of memory and a $150 video card sitting being unused. I have replaced the new components with the old ones and my computer is still not the way it used to be. I am EXTREMELY MAD with gateway and I am disgusted with them and their tech support. Was it my fault or theirs. I can supply any info if you need it but please help me!?!?!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:46 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

did you unistall all of the ATI drivers/software before you installed the Gforce?

try a different brand of ram with the same specs as the Kingston...you can look up the specs of the Kingston ram here:
http://www.kingston.com/products/default.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 11:23 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

The 512mb stick of memory could be a problem, the motherboards sold with the original Select series only supported 256mb sticks,(3 slots for a total of 768 max). Without knowing your model, I can't say for sure though. If you can post the exact model of gateway computer you have, as well as complete information for the RAM you bought, someone here will be able to provide you with better help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 6:20 am 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

As mah3 suggested, your memory is one of the issues.

Those days, 256Mb per slot was standard fare for maximum.

Also, most, if not all, AGP slots of that era were 1x/2x slots. Unless your video card can revert to a 2x specification, and your AGP slot supports power switching, you might be out of luck.

SC64

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:29 am 

This might be true, but the thing that makes me angry is that the tech support told me it would work. I specifically talked to two of them, copied and pasted the info right off the website and was told it would work. I did uninstall the ATI drivers and install the latest GeForce drivers though... I even did a clean install with windows and it is still messed up. My framerates in BF1942 are awful now and half my games do not work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:33 am 

I will get the model of the PC and the mobo for you. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 7:26 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

JAFAH5150 wrote:
did you unistall all of the ATI drivers/software before you installed the Gforce?

I agree with Jafah5150 here. When upgrading from Ati to nvidia there could be problems if you did not properly uninstall your old Ati card.
>insert conspiracy theory here< , but nvidia does not like ati driver residue.

I wasen't there when you installed it, but did you just simply trade out the cards? not uninstalling via windows... :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:36 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Benjathi wrote:
I will get the model of the PC and the mobo for you. Thank you.

Benjathi, can you get the model number? It's possible that you need a Bios update, but without the model number, it's hard to guess if there is one. It's also possible you need to reset something in the Bios. Also post if your running XP, I dont see that listed, but it could be I need more java :)

FWIW, Gateway's site is pretty decent, not as good as Compaq but better than some other branded sites. Their web chat leaves a lot to be desired though. I found this out about a month ago when I asked for instructions on how to restore an old Win 95 machine. The "tech" sent me to Microsoft with a link to restoring last known good registry- useless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 4:48 pm 

the model is a Gateway Select 1000 Digital Music PC
The serial # is 0020994664
I have Windows ME (eek...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 9:54 pm 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

First off, I do understand your frustration with Gateway's support. I gave up on them when they voided my warranty because I had installed software that didn't come with the machine. :evil: Live and learn.

Now the problems. Windows ME only supports up to 512mb of RAM, anything over that can cause windows wierdness. Have you tried to boot the system with just the 512mb stick of memory? I checked your motherboard specs and the 512mb stick should be ok as long as you bought PC133 SDRAM. Your MB is also compatible with the AGP 4x spec so the Video card should be ok as well.

What you should do isgo here and download the 3 drivers for your motherboards chipset and the new bios. Follow the instructions posted on the specific download pages to install each update. After your chipset drivers are up to date, completely uninstall your current videocard drivers, reboot, and then install fresh drivers for your videocard.

If your uncertain about anything, feel free to ask for help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:48 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

mah3 wrote:
First off, I do understand your frustration with Gateway's support. I gave up on them when they voided my warranty because I had installed software that didn't come with the machine. :evil: Live and learn.

Get out! That has to be the 1st time I've ever heard that. Hardware I may understand, but software?

mah3 wrote:

Now the problems. Windows ME only supports up to 512mb of RAM, anything over that can cause windows wierdness.

I'd have to say that, this would depend on what video card is run. Win Me, from what I remember of our nightmare supports 768. If you've got a Vid card with 256, then no, you would have to use 512 ram or you'd have windows wierdness. Been a long time as I said, but from memory, we safely ran 768 with a 64mb vid card & Win Me. According to Crucial - Maximum memory: 768MB

Benjathi wrote:
I switched the RAM into different slots to see if it was the slots and it still didnt recognize my 512MB.

What size ram did you buy & how many sticks?

Do they even make 512 PC133?

If your not planning to get a new box any time soon, I'd suggest you get yourself a copy of XP Home upgrade, doing a clean install. As long as your ram config is correct (using 256 sticks) you should be happier. Of course, you'd have to go to Microsoft & use the Windows XP Upgrade Advisor to see if your box qualifies. Trust me, if you qualify, it will be the best thing you ever did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:31 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Hey Blondie,

Here's a link that describes problems with 9x versions of windows using over 512mb of ram. There is a workaround that will get you to 1gb.

I saw the crucial configuration page, and wondered about that as well. I had 2 of the Select series Gateways, and both of them were limited to 256mb sticks x3. They had an older version motherboard with an AMD chipset instead of the VIA chipset listed for his MB though, so it may not apply. :?

One of the most common issues with AGP in the VIA KT series chipsets was 4in1 driver related, I suspect he may fix his AGP issues by upgrading them. The video card drivers could also be a problem if the old ATI drivers weren't uninstalled prior to installing the Nvidia drivers. ATI and NVidia drivers don't play well together at all.

I agree that the best thing would be to upgrade to XP. I was able to run WinXP on both of those systems without any hardware problems. Some of the software shipped with his system may not run in XP though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:51 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

mah3 wrote:
Hey Blondie,

Here's a link that describes problems with 9x versions of windows using over 512mb of ram. There is a workaround that will get you to 1gb....................
I agree that the best thing would be to upgrade to XP. I was able to run WinXP on both of those systems without any hardware problems. Some of the software shipped with his system may not run in XP though.

Yeah, the first link was what happened to us, once we upgraded to XP those errors went away. I hate ME, we never used the computer. It sat for 6 months collecting dust cause no one wanted to use it.