Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: KDS
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:53 pm 
I am not my computer's stats
I am not my computer's stats

Ok. Well I purchased a KDS Radius 7c (17" LCD) about a year ago. Well today, it decides to burn out its backlight (I believe because it went dim though I can still see things, and a puff of smoke came out the back). I call their warranty department.

Well it turns out I am a month past the parts date. 1 year on parts, 3 years on labor. How the hell do they use THAT kind of warranty. Its bullshit (pardon that Im really POed). Then I asked them if they can grant just a months leniece since I just passed it, and they flat out refused. So I figured it would cost maybe $30 for shipping, and they charge $35 for a diagnostics. Then they quoted me some parts, and one of them was the backlight. Turns out if I have to purchase a new backlight, it basically is $400.

THAT IS MORE THAN I PAID FOR THE MONITOR! I got it for $350 at WalMart a year and a month ago.

So, pardon my rant because I might be wrong...but I officially will not do business with KDS anymore. They are a piece of shit company that should deserve to burn...

EDIT: Oh and to add to the story, I swear to god if I have to be transfered more than 10 times and have to talk to another person who doesnt know very much english I WILL FUCKING KILL SOMEONE!!! (it is a Californian Based Company)....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 2:25 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Start with not buying anything from Walmart again unless its toilet paper.

But I agree with the rant. What good does a 3 year warrently on labored parts do? What if anything is labor intensive? I bet a machine makes the whole damn thing! Maybe its a 3 year warrenty on the shippping tape on the outside of the box when you first get it.

Post subject: Re: KDS
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:41 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

My wife was a supervisor for the Best Buy Performance Service Plan for two years, so by proxy I have a lot of info on this subject. The life expectancy of LCD bulbs is 1000-5000hrs(quite a spread) and it is considered to be a consumable part. Most manufacturers only warranty the bulb for 3 months (some, like Sony warranty for a full year). I don't know specifically about KDS (and I doubt they would impart this info to you after-the-fact) but I would be willing to bet that your warranty for the bulb expired long ago. And as you unfortunately found out LCD bulbs are very expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 2:19 pm 
Team Dino
Team Dino

It's quite simple really. Most CE manufacturers will test their products. If the parts tend to fail after a year, that's where they draw the line on the parts warranty. There are two things that force a company to extend the life of their warranty: their competition offers a longer warranty on average, and consumers speaking with their wallets.

Outside of waiting for a manufacturer extending the warranty on a type of product you're interested in, about the only thing you can do is buy an extended warranty from the dealer.

After all, the manufacturer is out to make a profit. That's their bottom line.

n0b0dykn0ws

EDIT: Oh, and as far as the labor warranty is concerned, it really depends on how difficult the unit is to work on. If it's a breeze, they'll give it a decent lenght, such as three years. That way people feel they're getting a decent deal if they do have it repaired.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:55 am 
Team Member Top 100
Team Member Top 100

Maxxpc,

Please dont take this the wrong way. I empathize with your situation, but your post has just given me one more reason to stick with my, space hogging 19" CRT, that cost half of what the LCD's do.....$400 for a backlight...thats unbelievable...

Fold Until A Cure

Post subject: Re: KDS
PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:26 am 
Klamath
Klamath

maxxpc wrote:
EDIT: Oh and to add to the story, I swear to god if I have to be transfered more than 10 times and have to talk to another person who doesnt know very much english I WILL FUCKING KILL SOMEONE!!! (it is a Californian Based Company)....

I feel your pain. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:23 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Not sure if you remember my problems with a 17" KDS monitor this past summer, but it wasn't a fun ordeal at all. I too bought a KDS monitor from wally world in Oct 2001 (Date of manufacturing was Sept 01); however, it was a CRT. At the time, it was just under $200 when others were well over $300, so I figured...what the heck.

It was a fine little monitor...until August 2004. I came home and sat for a long game of COD. After about an hour, I get up to make coffee or something, come back, take a seat, and it starts clicking away...like it's trying to switch refresh rates...at about a 5hz pace. I shut that pig down and let it sit. Try to turn it on 10 minutes later and "POOOOF!" lets out a big puff of smoke. It took out the video card (3 month old 9800Pro) as well. The area around the Analog jack was charred, but the DVI port still worked...odd, but it allowed a dongle to convert over another monitor I had around.

KDS would honor the monitor, but it had to be shipped prior to the end of Sept'04 in order to fall under their warranty. I had to wait for an RMA number. That took one hellovan amount of time and patience in order to just get...3 weeks later I had one. I was, however, under the impression that I shipped it there under my dollar, and they covered it on the way back. Nope. I was told that I'd be charged both ways. CRT's are big and heavy, and it wasn't going to be cheap to have a new POS KDS monitor shipped to and from where ever. And they would not, under any cercumstances, cover my card's damage. Screw all that.

Long story wrapped up, I just threw the hunk of crap away 3 days ago. I had to do a sneak and dump in a business' dumpster as my county freaks out on bulk monitor disposal (ironic, but today my company took up monitors for disposal and I could have added mine into the lot:p). It would have been cheaper to fedex the thing to them just so they can throw it away for me. I curse KDS and anything they make; and the people on the other end, if that's what they really are, are even worse.

I'd have a case for the Dog, but I veto'd that power when I made the decision of not wanting to pay for the shipping. Throwing that thing away was my gain though...Viewsonic's rock!