Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WARNING!!! Bogus Renewal Notices Are Being Sent Out!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:27 am 

If you sent out a payment to renew your subscription to Maximum PC and the address on the "Notice of Renewal/ New Order" form is PBA PO Box 250, Capitola, Ca 95010 you have just been screwed! A Goggle search of Publishers Billing Agency, Inc will reveal the details of this scam
The "Renewal" forms look exactly the same as the real ones. Except for the mailing address, you cannot tell the fake. I sent in my $39 for three years several months ago, the address may once again have changed.

Don't count on the "REAL" PBA to return your phone calls either. After four phone calls and a week later - NOTHING! Please check the subscription expire date on your mailing label it might help uncover the deception. I am surprised that Max PC has not picked up on this scam and alerted its readers by now. If Publishers Billing Agency, Inc had not been so unresponsive, I and others might have been able to stop this fraud.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 2:05 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

Bizarre - thank you for sharing your experience. Can anyone here at MPC speak to this? I received a similar notice, but since my subscription wasn't due to expire for some time, I recycled it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:18 am 

Thanks for letting me know I just got this notice too and I thought it was strange because I had a two year subscription I just renewed last year.....I will be sure to check out the address. Maybe I will just wait until i get the notice that comes in the magazine when its wrapped in plastic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:37 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Yup...had a post about this a few years ago about junk renewal notices. I tried a quick search in early feedback section, but think it's gone from the forum refresher.

Renewals come from Future media. The 3rd parties are phishing for your monies. And at any time you can renew from MaximumPC.com.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:18 pm 
Stewie Federation (2 Million)
Stewie Federation (2 Million)

i recived one around 1 month ago... not sure if this is the fake one or not... i will go check

EDIT: i think mine is the real one... the mailing address is same.... but seems charging more than it should

EDIT: canada should charge 29.95 according to MPC website and the little thing inside the mag, but on this mailed in one, it charges US $37.00.

oh there is minor difference on the adress, the extension seems to be different(i don't live in US, i have no idea how the address thing work there)

is mine a fake?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:18 pm 
Million Club
Million Club

That I don't know, but this past month's issue came in plastic bag, with a renewal offer also in the bag. I trust that this one at least was legit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:58 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Thats ok.

I got ripped off with my renewal as I was letting it run out but the guy said "this one is with the cd" and I thought ah well I dont mind getting the cd to peep at once in a while.

Guess what? My new subscription hasnt had a cd yet?

Of course Consumer reports never sent my books either when I subbed to them...

I will only renew through the publisher now. They need to cut off the shady resellers.

V

Post subject: Renewal Offer from National Magazine Services
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:51 pm 

Received a renewal offer from National Magazine Services, Inc (PO Box 98, Elmsford, NY 10523) for 3 years at $36. On the back side of the offer, they identify themselves as an independent magazine agent. They also indicate a possible $20 cancellation fee if you decide to cancel within seven days.

Although they thank me for placing an order with them, I've never dealt with them before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:06 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

I hate to point out the obvious, but if you want to remove all doubt as to who you're paying your hard earned dollars to, hit up the MaximumPC subscribe link at the top of the main page and do so online. Then you will have removed any third party resellers.