Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: www.bobservers.com scratch.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:28 am 

EDIT: rethought this posting idea.

Last edited by branden on Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:49 am 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

Sounds like a shitty deal to me. Im sure there are some legal experts floating around that will stop in later today and give some advice. I didnt know they could sue a 15 year old either. Dont you have to be 18 to enter into any kind of contract and be sued? I dunno...something like that anyways....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:34 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I doubt it will come to any harm, they are probably just trying to scare you. As for them being ABLE to, thats difficult, chams should be able to answer that for you if he comes around. Try PM'ing him (us serach for chamsalot the mod). They might be able to hold you or your parents accountable for you signing up for a service you weren't legaly allowed to, breach of contract etc.

If they do in fact bring it to court get yourself an atoorney and countersue for anything you can. frivolous libel, loss of time/money etc. You shouldn't need a lawyer unless you actually get served with a summons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:16 am 

i don't even think they have a TOS, atleast i never saw it if they did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:45 am 

Branden , Bob Servers is probaly run by some 15 year old out of his mothers basement. If he cant take care of his customers on daily bases and during normal bussiness hours than maybe you should think about reporting him to his local Better Bussiness Association. You can find more information at http://www.bbb.org . If he is threating you, and causeing you stress, than make sure you let him know that nbc is just a phone call away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:50 am 

urmumsacow wrote:
They might be able to hold you or your parents accountable for you signing up for a service you weren't legaly allowed to, breach of contract etc.

i talked to bob prior to purchasing and told him i was a highschool kid. so if he wants to try to pull some of that bullshit i can turn it on him, he sold it to me w/o talking to either of my parents first.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:53 am 

Most companys do. If you didnot have to click an accept box or agree to a tos by some form of electronic agreement you are not liable for this.

a tos like this one http://12.169.160.148/gigabiteservers/tos.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:19 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Why do you think your age matters? It doesn't. Stop using it as an excuse.

branden wrote:
so i say screw bobs forums now, i just gave out my pass and username to a bunch of people, and some1 wrote up an ad and spammed it all over his forums with my username.

That was very very stupid, and probably gives them grounds for legal action ... it depends on the contract you agree to when you signed up for their service.

branden wrote:
talked to bob prior to purchasing and told him i was a highschool kid. so if he wants to try to pull some of that bullshit i can turn it on him, he sold it to me w/o talking to either of my parents first.

Or .. you could take responsibility for your actions, apologise, and try to resolve the dispute like an adult.

I suggest you hire a lawyer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:39 am 

again edit: rethought this idea

Last edited by branden on Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:44 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

branden wrote:
lol maybe u should re-read, it looks really stupid their tryin to sue some teenage kid for freedom of speech.

Posting your name and password to a private server has nothing to do with freedom of speech. I'll let your lawyer explain why, since I assume you won't believe me.

branden wrote:
on top of that i am taking responsibility. im gonna talk to my attorny today, and um god honest truth, i didnt post any of the ads, all the ad's post's come from and ip in ft worth texas, from a charter connection, now remind me how i get that ip on comcast in arkansas? oh thas right i dont! and i didnt go to texas this summer, the only place i went was destin florida and didnt even see a computer there.

They will argue (and correctly, according to the law) that you are responsible for those ads because you gave away the access information to the server you rented.

You broke the rules, kiddo .. now get ready to pay the price. I'm sure that your lawyer will find a way to minimize the damages ... for a price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:55 am 

EDIT:... sorry

Last edited by branden on Sun Nov 07, 2004 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:40 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

branden wrote:
wow it was for PUBLIC forums! just like these are!

Talk to your lawyer.

Post subject: Re: www.bobservers.com scratch.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:20 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

branden wrote:
EDIT: rethought this posting idea.

Well that just sucks. I'd like to hear what happened. My hubby had a few different MOHAA servers that he rented & know that our experience wasn't that great. Note that Bobservers wasn't one of them. Once you sign up, your at their mercy. If the server goes down, you don't get credit for those days. One time hubby's server was down for a week. Support? That was a joke on both servers too. You were lucky if they responded to your ticket

Now, how in the world does a 15 year old even get the money for a $72 a month server?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:12 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

A JOB MAYBE? 72 bucks a month is piss in the ocean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:23 pm 

=\ mine was 36$ a month, for the first fe months we split it between like 4 people. now im worried about upgrading my pc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:14 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

so are you gonna tell us what happened?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 5:59 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

branden wrote:
=\ mine was 36$ a month, for the first fe months we split it between like 4 people. now im worried about upgrading my pc.

Why are you worried about upgrading your pc?

willah wrote:
A JOB MAYBE? 72 bucks a month is piss in the ocean.

Hmm, finger get stuck on the caps lock key?
Here in the states, most places wont HIRE you until your SIXTEEN (16)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:35 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Blondie wrote:
Why are you worried about upgrading your pc?

... probably because his allowance won't cover both the cost of a server and hardware upgrades.

BTW ... I had a paper route when I was 12, and worked as a dishwasher in a restaurant when I was 14. Work, and money, can be found by those who need it. Those whose parent's hand them whatever they need, however ...

How do you spell spoiled brat? ;)

I'm sorry you didn't get to read his original post ... the 'mom' in you would probably want to ground him. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:46 pm 

p3 950mhz OC'ed to 1.1
384mb SDram
40gig hd
asus tuslc-2 mobo
350 raidmax psu
Xtasy Radeon 9200SE 128mb

^^^^^^ tell me why i shouldnt be worried, my moms comcast games $#@% it up and have to reboot everytime she gets on.

i tried to get a paper route, parents wont let me. and they wont help me get to work, so its kinda hard to do a job you cant get to.

EDIT: bobservers was trying to sue me for 4k for some guy getting on my name and spamming his forums with "tired of bob being an asshole and not showing interest in his job. choose ngservers.net" but my dad talked to the kid and i doubt he's gonna try ne thing now since all the ips go back to Ft. Worth Texas, and i live in arkansas.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:06 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Branden, make a post in one of the appropriate forums to explain what's going on with your mom's puter. Her puter shouldn't be "that slow" and depending on what operating system she's running you shouldn't have to keep rebooting. I'm gonna assume she's on windows ME? If so, post that too.

I've got 2 kids, a boy 19 (Libra) & a girl 11 (Am). Two weeks ago I was looking for Barbies to add to my collection. I sent my Barbie wish list to hubby & my daughter so she could look at my collection. "Am" came into the computer room & said, Mom, I found your FAO Rose Barbie & I'm gonna buy it for you. I asked her how she was gonna do that. She said she made an Ebay account & was gonna bid. I laughed- told her she can't do that- she's ELEVEN for christsakes. I didn't really believe she even made an Ebay account. The other day while checking out her computer I saw that she did. I explained she would end up sending mommy to jail if she used that Ebay account- scare tactics :)

How are kids allowed to do things like this?

Now, onto the bobservers crap.....

From what Branden told me, I think Bob is neglagent in allowing a minor to sign up for a server without parental consent. Without knowing specifics if Branden had someone "play" his parents ok'ing the server deal, it's hard to offer an opinion on who is really liable. I'm assuming the server did get paid, and it seems Branden tried to get someone to help him when his server or web site got hacked into but ran into a brick wall with people telling him, we can't do anything. This in itself is bullshit, and I wouldn't doubt that IP's were logged. A new password should have been given, and the offending IP banned.

Yes, Branden is wrong for posting his user name & password. I don't doubt he was frustrated after hitting so many walls. He should have gone to his parents then instead of posting that stuff, but it's over with.

This kid needs help & with all of the knowledgable people here, I'm sure someone can tell him what to do. I'd like to see Branden post exactly what happened, in a clear, thought out post.

Jipstyle wrote:

BTW ... I had a paper route when I was 12, and worked as a dishwasher in a restaurant when I was 14. Work, and money, can be found by those who need it.
I'm sorry you didn't get to read his original post ... the 'mom' in you would probably want to ground him. :D

Jip, around here a kid can't have a paper route. The houses are not spaced in normal square blocks like where I used to live. It would take a kid all day to deliver papers on a bike. Getting any job around here is hard. The nearest place that would hire a 14 year old is Burger King, and a good 1/2 hour bike ride, past 4 bars on a busy street.

So far from the parts that were quoted here & what Branden PM'd me, I'd be wanting to sue Bobservers for letting my kid get the server in the 1st place. I would probably start filing reports to BBB, consumer complaints, FTC. Parents can't watch their kid 24/7 & let's face it, kids do stupid things. I'm the kind of mom that all of my son's friends are scared of, it's pretty funny actually- LMAO! Had my son done this, I would have screamed so that everyone heard me, if something needed to be paid, I would have paid it & taken it out of his Christmas. Thing is, both of my kids have bank accounts & at 15 my son had $3,000; he would have been able to pay it out of that.

Jip, you have any kids?

Damn, this post is long :roll:

Branden came here for help, probably hoping Watch Dog or one of the editors could help him.