Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 12:59 pm 

eh, i posted my computer specs b/c u asked why i wanted to upgrade. and im runing win 98SE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 8:29 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

Blondie wrote:
Jip, you have any kids?

Nope. :) I think that is why you are considerably more understanding that I am. Having read your post, I realise I overreacted a bit. Branden is a kid, and I've been treating him like an adult ... which is not fair.

However, I do disagree with a couple of things you've said. I don't think that bobservers should be sued for entering into a contract with a minor, because I don't think that anyone should be sued for that. Allowing that kind of lawsuit completely removes the freedom of other minors to enter into these kinds of contracts ... and some 14 and 15 year olds are mature enough to have these kinds of business relationships. I did, at his age, for example, and so did many of my friends. At 15, I owned a 1/3rd of a successful DJ'ing service .. the other 2/3rds were owned by two 16 year olds. If bobservers can be sued because they allowed a minor to contract a server from them ... well, I think it is sad that we legislate responsibility to that point.

I do think that bobservers was negligent in their treatment of Branden ... they contracted a service to him and failed in their service. They didn't deliver on their contract, and for THAT they are certainly liable.

Similarly, Branden is responsible for the comments made under his username on that forum, regardless of who posted them and where they posted from. It doesn't sound like he has understood this yet. He is responsible for the use of that account ... and by giving away the username and password, he allowed others to slander / libel bobserver.

It sounds like Branden's father has negotiated some peaceful 'settlement' ... which is great ... but I hope that Branden realises that he could have been in some pretty deep legal trouble had his Dad not stepped in.

Barbie wrote:
I've got 2 kids, a boy 19 (Libra) & a girl 11 (Am). Two weeks ago I was looking for Barbies to add to my collection. I sent my Barbie wish list to hubby & my daughter so she could look at my collection. "Am" came into the computer room & said, Mom, I found your FAO Rose Barbie & I'm gonna buy it for you. I asked her how she was gonna do that. She said she made an Ebay account & was gonna bid. I laughed- told her she can't do that- she's ELEVEN for christsakes. I didn't really believe she even made an Ebay account. The other day while checking out her computer I saw that she did. I explained she would end up sending mommy to jail if she used that Ebay account- scare tactics :)

How are kids allowed to do things like this?

Scare tactics are perfect .. that is what parents are supposed to do. ;) I think. I'm not a parent. :lol:

As for how that can happen ... let's reverse the question ... how would you STOP it from happening. Is it eBay's responsibility to keep your daughter from creating an account, or yours? (This is not a rhetorical question ... I'm still bouncing this one around in my head. My initial response is to say 'both' ... but I'm interested in your comments.)

Barbie wrote:
This kid needs help & with all of the knowledgable people here, I'm sure someone can tell him what to do. I'd like to see Branden post exactly what happened, in a clear, thought out post.

And this is where I went wrong. :? His initial post was full of 'it is not my fault' and 'I want to get this guy back' ... when it should have been 'oh crap, I messed up, how do I fix this.'

Personal responsibility, or the lack of it, is one my pet peeves ... and, to be honest, is responsible for the rapid degradation of our nations. Do you think this would have happened to our parent's generation? Even our generation ... if I needed money for toys or luxuries, my parent's were happy to help me figure out how I could earn it. You pointed out that there may be no jobs in his area for a kid his age ... that's a good point. When I couldn't find a job, my parents were happy to assign extra chores (in addition to those for which I was already responsible) so that I could earn some extra cash. Nothing for free ... but as a result, they taught me the value of a dollar and what it means to have a work ethic.

Barbie wrote:
Damn, this post is long :roll:

How odd ... a mother who talks at length about children ... I'm shocked.

;)

Barbie wrote:
Branden came here for help, probably hoping Watch Dog or one of the editors could help him.

Actually, the original post was less a request for help, and more a diabtribe against the evils of bobservers. Hopefully, he has found some help regardless. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:02 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Barbie wrote:
She said she made an Ebay account & was gonna bid. I laughed- told her she can't do that- she's ELEVEN for christsakes.
How are kids allowed to do things like this?

To the 'net, there is no age, we are all exactly the same. Sure, a lot, maybe even most websites have some sort of adult ID process, but it is usually along the lines of YOU MUST BE EIGHTEEN TO CLICK HERE.

heh.

Jipstyle wrote:
Scare tactics are perfect .. that is what parents are supposed to do. ;) I think.

Got it in one, Jip. :)

Jipstyle wrote:
As for how that can happen ... let's reverse the question ... how would you STOP it from happening. Is it eBay's responsibility to keep your daughter from creating an account, or yours? (This is not a rhetorical question ... I'm still bouncing this one around in my head. My initial response is to say 'both' ... but I'm interested in your comments.)

Age security on the web is ridiculous to non-existant. Like it or not, mom 'n dad just have to be a little more vigilant. Parenting is a 24/7 sort of job. Just 'cause a parent THINKS he/she knows what the kids are up to, doesn't absolve them from taking a few minutes to actually KNOW.

Jipstyle wrote:
Personal responsibility, or the lack of it, is one my pet peeves ... and, to be honest, is responsible for the rapid degradation of our nations. Do you think this would have happened to our parent's generation? Even our generation ... if I needed money for toys or luxuries, my parent's were happy to help me figure out how I could earn it. You pointed out that there may be no jobs in his area for a kid his age ... that's a good point. When I couldn't find a job, my parents were happy to assign extra chores (in addition to those for which I was already responsible) so that I could earn some extra cash. Nothing for free ... but as a result, they taught me the value of a dollar and what it means to have a work ethic.

Most kids these days just whine and snivel until they get what they want. Their parents are too lazy to instill a few basic values as above.

Jip, methinks you will be a good parent if you ever get around to trying it.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:18 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

i would like to add that even if you get the net shut off...kids can still just go over to a friends house,and the netnanny stuff dont work cuz the kids tell eachother how to get around it...and people wonder why i dont want kids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:42 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

whitecree wrote:
Jip, methinks you will be a good parent if you ever get around to trying it.

Thanks, whitecree. That is just about the best compliment a man can be offered ... even more so coming from someone I respect.

You honestly just made my day. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:33 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

:oops: aw shucks... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:37 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Get a room love birds. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:47 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

/me hands monkeyboy a banana laced with Valium.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 9:31 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

/sneaks a little demerol into banana/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:00 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Ok, I see my name has been switched to Barbie :roll: pretty funny.

Quote:
Jip- And this is where I went wrong. His initial post was full of 'it is not my fault' and 'I want to get this guy back' ... when it should have been 'oh crap, I messed up, how do I fix this.'

Jip, you've got one up on me, I didn't see the original thread, only parts that were quoted. I do agree, if the post was more the way you said.

I still think that if a responsible 14, 15, 16 year old gets his parent to OK a contract, then fine; but without parental consent, I don't think it should be allowed. Think about it, who's lap will this fall in when it sours? The parent. I at 14 was responsible- heck at 12 I was working in the family business from 6am till my dad went home. I worked all summer for a bicycle, then when I turned 15 I worked all summer for a moped. Yeah, parents can't control what their kids do 24/7, but the blame still falls in the parents lap. Maybe his parents have no clue what he does- I don't know. I personally check out both of my "kids" computers, even though one is considered an adult. He lives in my house, I want to make sure he does nothing stupid.

Quote:
Jip- Similarly, Branden is responsible for the comments made under his username on that forum, regardless of who posted them and where they posted from.

Quote:
"Mom"- Yes, Branden is wrong for posting his user name & password.

Hey, I agreed with you here- I said he was wrong.

Quote:
Jip- Scare tactics are perfect .. that is what parents are supposed to do. I think. I'm not a parent.

It is not an easy job. What works for one kid, does not work for the other in discipline. Do yourself a favor- only have ONE! lol

Quote:
Jip- As for how that can happen ... let's reverse the question ... how would you STOP it from happening.

That's a really good question. I'm gonna have to go back to Ebay to see what their sign up is like. It was so long ago I don't remember if it asked age, or had a contract. Am would have & could have bidded on an item but she would have needed a paypal account to pay had she won. I highly doubt she would have gotten that far. Paypal has changed everything, you have to confirm a credit card now by logging in & finding their deposit, same with using a checking account. She would have freaked out at some point and told me, then we would have cancelled the bid. I'm sure there would be a fee. If she got this far, trust me, she wouldn't do it again! I did get the Barbie BTW :D

Quote:
Jip- if I needed money for toys or luxuries, my parent's were happy to help me figure out how I could earn it. You pointed out that there may be no jobs in his area for a kid his age ... that's a good point. When I couldn't find a job, my parents were happy to assign extra chores.....

Hmm, your parents paid you to work at home? How lucky. It is my policy that you live here- free. I need something done, you do it for free. If you want to be paid to rake leaves, mow the lawn, etc.- go down the street & find someone that will pay you. Both of my kids have had bank accounts since they were born. Any birthday, Christmas, etc money they get goes into it. They are allowed to keep $20 in cash but have to save the rest. If something is absolutly needed before they turn 17, I decide if they should take the money out to be spent.

Jip, I do agree it sounds like you'd make a good parent. Your parents did a pretty good job with you :D

whitecree- do you have kids?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:17 pm 

i talked to the guy, after my dad talked to him he wants to say that some kid sent that through a SMTP server (somthing like that) and he was all sorry and he was going to mail my dad a letter via USPS to apologize.

=\ i don't completely believe him tho