Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 2:57 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Law_Of_The_Jungle wrote:
Yes mr Shephard here recommends the little white POS they call an I-pod. Who does not want a battery failing on them, and an overpriced player that cannot be used without a particular program?????not i, not i

Agreed. Personally, I think the proprietary battery in the iPod sucks. I used to own a 40gig, 3rd generation iPod and returned it within 2 weeks of buying it. The battery longevity is a joke, and the lack of any type of equalizer, even a 3-band, is a big no-no in today's audio MP3 world. I hated the fact that I had to settle on the iPod's custom EQ curves and not be able to fine tune them myself, as you are able to with a Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 (which I now own instead of an iPod).

The iPod is small, has great looks, but scratches VERY easily. The screen will take a beating unless you find something to cover it with like a holster or case of some sort. Even the aluminum and the white plastic body is subject to scratches and other abuse without much effort, and the scratches and dings it does endure show very well.

In the end it comes down to this when I made the case between iPod and Creative MP3 players. I liked the way an iPod looks, but hated the battery life and the fact that it didnt have a custom EQ built in. The Creative Jukebox 3 on the other hand is not as sexy as the iPod, but has everything I could want in a MP3 player. The battery life in that thing, used continously, lasts like 12+ hours on ONE battery (it has room for two removable batteries, which when used lasts over 24 hours). I invite anyone to change their battery in the iPod after it goes kaput. Hell, I think the iPod was at like 5 to 6 hours tops of continous play. And please, don't give me that crap of an iPod having 12+ hours of battery life: we all know the truth. The iPod is and always has been notorious for skimping on battery life, not to mention sound quality.

The other consideration is this: who makes the best sound card today? Thats right, its Creative. How many people use Creative sound cards in their computers to play games and listen to music with? Nearly everyone. One has to logically deduce then that Creative is the master at digital music and sound, and has been doing it for a hell of a long time. Which says to me that Creative knows a hell of a lot more about digital music than Apple does when making MP3 players.

If Creative has such a strong reputation on sound card and digital music quality today, then they must know what they are doing when it comes to making products that support it. Creative is the de facto company for digital music and sound for todays computers. It only stands to reason that they would do well to have that same digital performance and excellence in their MP3 players as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:15 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

garetjax wrote:
Law_Of_The_Jungle wrote:
Yes mr Shephard here recommends the little white POS they call an I-pod. Who does not want a battery failing on them, and an overpriced player that cannot be used without a particular program?????not i, not i

Agreed. Personally, I think the proprietary battery in the iPod sucks. I used to own a 40gig, 3rd generation iPod and returned it within 2 weeks of buying it. The battery longevity is a joke, and the lack of any type of equalizer, even a 3-band, is a big no-no in today's audio MP3 world. I hated the fact that I had to settle on the iPod's custom EQ curves and not be able to fine tune them myself, as you are able to with a Creative Nomad Jukebox 3 (which I now own instead of an iPod).

The iPod is small, has great looks, but scratches VERY easily. The screen will take a beating unless you find something to cover it with like a holster or case of some sort. Even the aluminum and the white plastic body is subject to scratches and other abuse without much effort, and the scratches and dings it does endure show very well.

In the end it comes down to this when I made the case between iPod and Creative MP3 players. I liked the way an iPod looks, but hated the battery life and the fact that it didnt have a custom EQ built in. The Creative Jukebox 3 on the other hand is not as sexy as the iPod, but has everything I could want in a MP3 player. The battery life in that thing, used continously, lasts like 12+ hours on ONE battery (it has room for two removable batteries, which when used lasts over 24 hours). I invite anyone to change their battery in the iPod after it goes kaput. Hell, I think the iPod was at like 5 to 6 hours tops of continous play. And please, don't give me that crap of an iPod having 12+ hours of battery life: we all know the truth. The iPod is and always has been notorious for skimping on battery life, not to mention sound quality.

The other consideration is this: who makes the best sound card today? Thats right, its Creative. How many people use Creative sound cards in their computers to play games and listen to music with? Nearly everyone. One has to logically deduce then that Creative is the master at digital music and sound, and has been doing it for a hell of a long time. Which says to me that Creative knows a hell of a lot more about digital music than Apple does when making MP3 players.

If Creative has such a strong reputation on sound card and digital music quality today, then they must know what they are doing when it comes to making products that support it. Creative is the de facto company for digital music and sound for todays computers. It only stands to reason that they would do well to have that same digital performance and excellence in their MP3 players as well.
ok, yet again i have to interject that creative mp3 players are pieces of shit, complete and uttter pieces of shit no less. i had 2, same model, same problem developed in both after a weeks use both times, the headphone jack dies. not only that, but the player skipped, it was slow as hell to scroll through songs, and the software sucked a bloated goat testicle. i would rather give the devil my first chil;d than buy another creative mp3 player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:29 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

athlon11 wrote:
ok, yet again i have to interject that creative mp3 players are pieces of shit, complete and uttter pieces of shit no less. i had 2, same model, same problem developed in both after a weeks use both times, the headphone jack dies. not only that, but the player skipped, it was slow as hell to scroll through songs, and the software sucked a bloated goat testicle. i would rather give the devil my first chil;d than buy another creative mp3 player.

Something tells me that if the same problem occured twice on two separate MP3 players within the same time frame (a matter of weeks apparently) to the same person, that it could very well be an operator error and not the fault of the player in question.

As for the scrolling problem, recent driver updates and patches have fixed that issue and it scrolls fine now. Ditto for the 'skipping', which really was a non-issue to begin with anyway. As for the software, I have had no problems with it, ever. It is straight forward and easy to use. I would remind you that every MP3 player out on the market today that uses their own software inherently has their own pitfalls and annoyances in each; Creative is no different than any other MP3 player manufacturer in that regard.

Bloated goat testicles aside, this thread is about the iPod, not whether or not you'd give your first child to the devil before buying another Creative MP3 player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:46 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

garetjax wrote:
athlon11 wrote:

Something tells me that if the same problem occured twice on two separate MP3 players within the same time frame (a matter of weeks apparently) to the same person, that it could very well be an operator error and not the fault of the player in question.

As for the scrolling problem, recent driver updates and patches have fixed that issue and it scrolls fine now. Ditto for the 'skipping', which really was a non-issue to begin with anyway. As for the software, I have had no problems with it, ever. It is straight forward and easy to use. I would remind you that every MP3 player out on the market today that uses their own software inherently has their own pitfalls and annoyances in each; Creative is no different than any other MP3 player manufacturer in that regard.

Bloated goat testicles aside, this thread is about the iPod, not whether or not you'd give your first child to the devil before buying another Creative MP3 player.
well, i had a zen xtra 30gb, i can assure the skipping was a major issue to me. i have also heard other reports of others, even 1 or 2 people in the old delphio forum having the same problem as i did, the headphone jack dying. as for software, i am no fan of itunes either, the mp3 player i have now, an rca lyra jukebox, doenst use software to put files on the drive, its totally drag and drop. another annoyance with the creative is that the battery cover kept popping off even in normal use, just setting it on a table would pop it off. the last thing is that the sound quality was plain out awful. i am very ghlad i didnt keep that piece of junk and went with what i did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:19 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

athlon11 wrote:
well, i had a zen xtra 30gb, i can assure the skipping was a major issue to me. i have also heard other reports of others, even 1 or 2 people in the old delphio forum having the same problem as i did, the headphone jack dying. as for software, i am no fan of itunes either, the mp3 player i have now, an rca lyra jukebox, doenst use software to put files on the drive, its totally drag and drop. another annoyance with the creative is that the battery cover kept popping off even in normal use, just setting it on a table would pop it off. the last thing is that the sound quality was plain out awful. i am very ghlad i didnt keep that piece of junk and went with what i did.

I cannot speak for the Creative Zen Xtra, as I have never owned one, but my past and present experiences with the Creative Nomad Jukebox line of MP3 players have been nothing short but exemplary. Hence my utmost reccomendation and respect for this particular line of MP3 players as evidenced by the post I made in this thread detailing their excellence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:22 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

garetjax wrote:
Agreed. Personally, I think the proprietary battery in the iPod sucks. I used to own a 40gig, 3rd generation iPod and returned it within 2 weeks of buying it. The battery longevity is a joke

Mine lasts 8 hours on a charge ... how much do you want from a device that is smaller than the average man's wallet?

I agree the lack of an EQ is something that people should consider.

I think that the software that Creative tries to pass off as finished product was shat out by a frat boy after a week long drinking binge. iTunes works
flawlessly.

garetjax wrote:

That is one way of looking at it. I found the sound quality of my Nomad and my iPod were both restricted completely by the quality of the mp3s I was playing.

garetjax wrote:

3Dfx was once the king of video cards.

There was a time when any CPU that was not made by Intel was a de facto 'knock off'

There was a time when Intel didn't exist.

Things change. I don't think that a company's past history is relevant to the quality of their current product ... though their history of support for their customers is very relevant.

Who supports their customers more? Creative (*chuckle*) ... or Apple?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 4:14 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

The-Moose wrote:
we eventually determined it was something wrong with my computer.

so fk that.

ill wait until something reliabe and better than cd's comes out.

Yeah, I kind of figured that. Did you figure out what exactly the problem was?

athlon11 wrote:

Depending on how long ago it was, technology & improvements have come a long way. At one time I picked one up but my son wouldn't even look at it cause it had no radio.

garetjax wrote:

We've gone through 3 Lyra's, the blue one, when I 1st got it it wasn't cheap. The sound volume would stop working, it was stuck on loud. This exact problem happened to 2 Lyra's, but the 3rd (3 strikes their out) is fine, go figure.

garetjax wrote:

There's actually a lot of good opinions in this post about different products. Moose did ask for opinions

The-Moose wrote:
im getting another mp3 player for xmas this year.

what OTHER THAN THE IPOD player should i get,

must be hard drive. must have good sound. preferable to have software.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At 1st the Lyra was a PITA, until version 9 of WMP came out. My son never wanted to touch it cause the software sucked. Once I upgraded his WMP to 9, and he could use that to burn, he was happy & actually started using it.

Edit- said player was a Rio- it's a Lyra RD1080