Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 1:23 am 

AOL = Ain't Online Literate

Another good idea for the AOL freebie CDs, add one to your backpack when your hiking in the back country. In case you get lost, use the CD as a S.O.S. signal.

Stocking stuffers for the worst enemy. :twisted:

Coasters

Christmas tree decorations... though I believe Jesus would be upset if you celebrated this holiday with AOL.

Shatter the disk and mail it back to AOL.

Save several disks for your car just incase you need them for extra traction in the snow when you get stuck.

Instead of using an orange colored triangle for caution when pulled off to the shoulder of the road, simply face out all the AOL free CDs and all comp savvy people should steer clear. Use caution when a AOL friendly person asks if you need some help.

Scan the AOL disk and copy it to a CD label and stick it to your favorite music CDs to prevent theft.

For every religious missionary that comes knocking on your door offering a free Bible, offer them a AOL CD in gratitude.

When recieving junk mail with return envelopes, send them an AOL CD back in the envelope.. broken of course, they'll get the hint you're not intersted.

LoGiStIc$

::EDIT::

When a telemarketer calls, try to sell them your free CD with anything they try to sell you.

Send all of your AOL CDs to the US Air Force and maybe with some luck they'll put them all into a bomber and send them over any terrorist country. thus, when the terrorist uses ALL of the free CDs for free internet to transfer negative information to other terrorists cells, the CIA and FBI will realize that AOL is providing a FREE service to the terrorists and will shut them down. Only in my dreams could this happen, but it's a really nice plot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:36 am 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

ricksickle wrote:
Sure ya can. Go into any office max they got 50 packs for $7. Ive been using them for a couple months now for software i sell and music for the truck and they work great : )

driving 75-80 miles to get to the nearest orifice max aint a very good deal nowdays...

the curse of a carburated 350HP 350 in my beloved camaro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 3:14 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Yeah, AOhelL. It sux big time alright. I know. I've been in AOheLl since '97.

If you use it's dial-up service, you might as well just shoot yourself in the head and get it over with. At one point a few years ago, you could sometimes get 53.3Kbs connections... if your phone service was damn near perfect.

Once they came out with their own DSL service, that all changed. Now dial-ups never go over 28.8Kbs. There's no mention anywhere anymore about 56Kbs service. It's a sham. Don't even think of trying to use AOheLl at 28.8Kbs speed. It sux dead water rats. :shock:

A couple of years ago, I moved to where they have cable. Sweet! :D For a very decent price I get 384/128. Switched AOhelL to BYOA (Bring your own access) service - 14.95/mo. AOheLl still sux. It just sux a lot faster now. :lol:

AOheLl does have one very small socially redeeming value tho... with each of the seven screen names they give you, you also get 20MB (per screen name) of ftp/web space and *unlimited* bandwidth. If you want a small web site that offers big downloads to a lot of people, AOheLl is the way to go... when their hometown web servers aren't on the fritz... which happens regularly every 3 months... for 2-3 weeks at a stretch...

Come to think about it, AOheLl still sux. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:43 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Spider Monkey wrote:
urmumsacow wrote:

I almost killed my dad with one onetime. I was out in the yard screwing with one of 'em thowing it up into the air, then my dad said "hey lemme see that!" So I gave it a toss and it just went into fucking SEARCH AND DESTROY mode, the thing went from sideways toss to vertical death saw in the blink of an eye, if it hadn't swerved about 15 feet before hitting like it did I might have had to call 911. The little bastard shatered into about 12 million pieces agaisn the brick of the house.

Word. I have a similar story (but without attempted murder).

I had a old Milli Vanilli CD just hanging around and I thought to myself, Hmmm. I wonder how far these things sail? I figured it was to light to get any real distance so I gave it a throw. The bastard went all the way to the other side of the house and landed on a counter. I thought it was damn cool so I went to get it and give it another go. The second time I released launch control the thing turned on auto pilot and decided to let go of the steering wheel in a suicide attempt. The fucker took a right hand turn at about 90 degrees and shattered into splinters off my (at the time) spanking new state of the art 15" monitor. I was bummed to lose such a valuable CD, but I got over it. Man I wish AOL sent me free minute CDs so I could zing another one......

These are all over the place over here. Go to Staples, even Walmart- my daughter used to grab them all the time. I've even seen them at the food store in the check out line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:29 am 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

Quote:
Once they came out with their own DSL service, that all changed. Now dial-ups never go over 28.8Kbs. There's no mention anywhere anymore about 56Kbs service. It's a sham. Don't even think of trying to use AOheLl at 28.8Kbs speed. It sux dead water rats. Shocked

AOL works great for me here. I needed something to use when i was at the hospital and signed back up with them. I connect at a decent speed each time, although it varies between 49000 and 52000. Either way, my downloads stay around 5-6k. Oh, and this is up on the 7th floor of a hospital, so id like to see the mess the phone lines are in that place. I also have a MSN dial up account that i sell off to customers here, that wont connect any higher then 31000, ive tried a bunch of different numbers as well, just wont do it. From the house, it connects up great. Guess it all depends where you are with a dial up ISP.

AOL is a great and easy dial up internet service. I think older people or others that dont understand how to get around the computer benefit from AOL because its so easy to use. If it was such a shitty service, then i dont think they would have the millions of customers they have today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 10:25 am 

Years ago when I was stuck on dial-up I gave AOL a try. It was as slow as hell, and juno (yeah, the ad-supported free service) was almost 40% faster for both downloads and surfing. As for AOL brodband, I just think it's junk. I have used it at a friend's house, and the speed just can't compare to what I get from Road Runner (I hang around a consistant 2.5 Mbps). I did not attempt to change any settings, but the way the AOL tech installed the modem for direct connection the user had to sign in to access the CABLE connection.

Anyway, I have heard about little bonfires and such. One of my friends has heard about a group of people trying to collect a million CDs and ship them all back to AOL. Sounds like fun to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 5:01 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

fojo86 wrote:

Anyway, I have heard about little bonfires and such. One of my friends has heard about a group of people trying to collect a million CDs and ship them all back to AOL. Sounds like fun to me.

Yeah, I remember that from year before last, wonder if they ever did it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:47 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

My (lengthy) AOL customer experience story:

Four years ago I signed up for AOL's "free" 30 day trial. I didn't have a credit/debit card so I called up AOL to do the check by phone thing . At that time the AOL representative solicited me to sign up for AOL long distance which would get me an additional 4 months of free AOL Internet service. I don't use long distance at all so it didn't matter to me who my long distance carrier was, but before I agreed I confirmed that there was no monthly charges and that the free months were consecutive to the initial free trial. The first month went by, I could connect at decent speeds but I was constantly kicked off line. I tolerated the situation because it was only temporary until I had @Home installed. The real drama begins when month 1 rolls over to month 2 and AOL takes $26 out of my account (this is an important figure because AOL service was only $21 at the time). I call AOL and they immediately acknowledge that I should not have been charged anything but they insist they cannot refund me actual money only 'AOL bucks'*** (or what ever the hell they call them) and they can only refund me $21*** (they have no clue where the $26 figure came from***). I concede to the $21 in "AOL bucks" but never receive them***. I decide to eat the $26 and cut my losses so I cancel AOL Internet and long distance***.

To recap: I have paid $26 for a $21 service that was supposed to be a free trial.

But AOL is not done with me yet, no, they like to put icing on the cake. Two months later AOL collections calls me saying that I own them $26! Over the next month I patiently recount my entire story no less than 5 times to various AOL reps. Unfortunately the collective intelligence of AOL corp can't comprehend that they made a mistake. It finally required a complaint to the FTC to get the calls to stop.

***there is much more drama involved at these points but in the interest of brevity I omitted the details

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 12:17 pm 

I had drops all the time too. Slowness aside, aol is still a bitch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:15 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

With juno dial-up back home I usually average 53.2kbps of course i live under a 1/4 mile from a CO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:52 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Skeksis wrote:
To recap: I have paid $26 for a $21 service that was supposed to be a free trial.

But AOL is not done with me yet, no, they like to put icing on the cake....

Ah, another 'Gave their "Free" trial a try and got fucked' story. We did that waaayy back in '94. We just got a 14.4kbps modem and wanted to see what this internet was all about.
Back then, I think AOL only offered something like 25-50 hours free. We used most of that time and decided to go with Netcom, so we canceled our AOL acct. Of course, a month or so later an AOL charge occurs. It took 2 mos. to finally get it all cleared up. :roll:

From what I hear, their business practices haven't changed much. I've had a couple of people tell me that they cancelled their AOL accts. and got the same problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:33 am 

They just keep making their service more stupid-friendly and less.... well, it was never anything but slow, was it? Bah, the only thing they ever gave us was AIM, and I stick with Gaim anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:29 pm 
7yrs+11,000 Posts
7yrs+11,000 Posts

I make a wall mural with my disks. Send all of yours to me! :D

Post subject: Free CD Case
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:57 pm 

Every time AOL sends you a disk, you get a free .50 case. It costs them about $5 by mail and $1 in store diplays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:59 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Methinks your calculations are a bit off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:29 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

one gamer on the forum is enuff...pistols at high noon tomorrow:

FREAK vs. FRENZY

only on pay per view

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:30 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

4:1 odds freak stays! any takers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:34 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

sorry...I (the promoter) cant place wagers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:38 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Hey this new guy deletion has a cool quoute on his site:

" How many times has this happened? You hear a new song and love it immediately. You're intrigued by the melody and haunted by the voice. When in your car, you scan the stations hunting it down. You go out of your way to the record store to buy the album for this one song. You listen to it repeatedly and find other gems on the album. During this discovery stage, the album is played several times a week if not everyday. You don't get sick of it because it's new and different. But eventually this period of innocence ends when you become too familiar with the tunes. You've picked up the choruses, learned the lyrics, and discovered all the nuisances. The songs no longer hold that fresh quality. You listen to the album less and less. The music becomes common and you play it only occasionally for fear of it being overplayed. How quickly we tire of things.

When you become infatuated with something, it can easily take hold and seep into every thought of every moment. It can even become impervious to attempts of letting go. It's time for a change of pace... "

I wonder if it's his, and if so if he has anything to add to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 3:49 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

i hope he is not one of the people that registers a name...makes 1or 2 posts and never shows back up