Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 4.0a mouse button failure
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:13 am 

I have owned the intellimouse 4.0a (wired) for about 4 months now, and the left mouse button seems to be failing to register clicks. sometimes I may have to click three or four times to get it to actually send a click signal to the OS. I've never had this problem in any of my other four intellimouse explorers (one for each generation, heh. I've been a huge fan of the product line), and from talking to some other online friends of mine, I've discovered three people besides myself that have ALSO had the exact same problem where the left mouse button "wears out" after a few months.

I seem to remember MaxPC giving the various lines of intellimice some rather good scores, so I'm sure some portion of the community here must have some of the 4.0a's. I'm curious if this is more widespread, or just coincidentally frequent among myself and people I know.

Additionally, is there any way to contact microsoft about this issue without having to pay $35 for tech support? I could just go buy another explorer for that much, so I see no point in wasting it on a phone call. The explorer is probably WELL within it's warranty period (if anybody with the box or documentation that came with it can look that up, it would be most appreciated). since the hardware has failed, i believe i am entitled for a replacement mouse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:15 am 
Million Club
Million Club

Actually there is apparently an issue with the 4.0 line of Intellimouse not far off from what you describe. The problem usually manifests itself as the cord being worn out right where it enters the body of the mouse for some odd reason which results in mouse innaccuracy, missed button clicks and even total mouse faliure as the cord begins to short out.

On a vintage computer messageboard I go to atleast 4 other members who have the 4.0 Intellimouse are reporting partitial or total faliures and any information on replacements or warranties is still very vague.

Strangely enough, this is only with 4.0 mice, while the older 3.0 version of the exact same constrcution seem to be standing up quite well. My 3.0 Intellimouse is still 100%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:52 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Wow, I never thought to ask if anyone else had this problem. We have the wireless, been through 4 of them, with this problem. It got to the point where I'd pick at least 1 up when it was on sale.

Hubby games, this is the only mouse he likes for it. We tried others but ended up returning them. I personally hate to even work on his computer because of this mouse.

What we've found is that when it does this, we change the mouse out with one of the others we have laying around. I don't know why it does this, but for the most part, the problem doesn't stay. I've had 1 that wouldn't snap out of it, so it got chucked. So far I've also found this problem is exclusive to a desktop. I installed one of the spares (that already did this on hubby's puter) on my kid's laptop, his has yet to do this.

Hubby isn't using current software for the mouse. He won't upgrade cause they changed a few of the button options with the newer versions. The kid from what I remember, is using the newer software. I figured it had something to do with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:57 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I don't know if it will make a difference, but was this mouse bought as an OEM or Retail?

-misterLOBY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:05 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Retail here.