Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bytecc
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:42 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

Bought a external combo (firewire and usb2) HD enclosure from these guys. USB2 functions worked fine, but using firewire I kept getting delayed write failures on the drive. Supposedly this was caused by some incompatibility with the different firewire chips on my comp and the enclosure, causing way too much data to attempt to be transferred within a single I/O operation. Repeated emails to the company went unanswered. Repeated stern emails went unanswered. Finally, not having any help with the company or the solutions I saw posted on this problem, and highly frustrated I downloaded some firmware tweaking tools from Bytecc, which promptly borked the firmware and rendered the enclosure inoperable, with no way to force flash back to the orginal. Don't deal with these people.

Got meself a nice Vantec Nexstar combo enclosure which works WONDERFULLY. It's smaller, quieter, and I think it runs a bit cooler, though I never took actual temp reading, just palm of the hand guestimating.

Post subject: Re: Bytecc
PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 3:34 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

Urvile wrote:
Bought a external combo (firewire and usb2) HD enclosure from these guys. USB2 functions worked fine, but using firewire I kept getting delayed write failures on the drive.

What kind of Firewire chip do you have?

Last I checked, Bytecc doesn't actually make anything, they're resellers for TriumphTech, and I've bought 5 enclosures made by them and never had a problem with any of them.