Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best Buy is screwing me.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:42 am 

So I bought some logitech Z-680's a year ago when i graduated highschool and bought the 2 year extended warranty. I figured I couldn't go wrong... BUT OH WAIT HERES THE CLINCHER.. I DID.

Now that I need to replace them, best buy doesn't carry them at all. The closest they have is a POS Klipsche 5.1 system. They also told me the best they can offer me refund-wise is simply store credit. I'm super pissed because i LOVE this speaker set-up, it's the best I've ever had. Anyone got any ideas to relieve my stress?

Post subject: Re: Best Buy is screwing me.
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:46 am 
Northwood
Northwood

pan0phobik wrote:
So I bought some logitech Z-680's a year ago when i graduated highschool and bought the 2 year extended warranty. I figured I couldn't go wrong... BUT OH WAIT HERES THE CLINCHER.. I DID.

Now that I need to replace them, best buy doesn't carry them at all. The closest they have is a POS Klipsche 5.1 system. They also told me the best they can offer me refund-wise is simply store credit. I'm super pissed because i LOVE this speaker set-up, it's the best I've ever had. Anyone got any ideas to relieve my stress?

what about other Best Buys in the area? this should be in the Dog Pound.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:29 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

pan0phobik wrote:

Such drama!

pan0phobik wrote:

POS Klipsch? I'll take those over Logitech anyday ... even the Z-680s. At the very least, they are equivalent products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:29 pm 

I'd still take the store credit. Even if it doesn't cover the full cost of another speaker set, it should get you in quite a decent price range to get something else good.

Why can't you just get Logitech to fix the speakers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:36 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Take the Klipsch 5.1s and I'll trade you for my Z680s. Really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:48 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

KerrAvon wrote:
I'd still take the store credit. Even if it doesn't cover the full cost of another speaker set, it should get you in quite a decent price range to get something else good.

Why can't you just get Logitech to fix the speakers?

wouldn't seem fair. he paid good money for the 2 year extended warranty.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:12 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I don't have any better ideas for him getting the exact speakers he wants (Z680s).

Because the Klipsch 5.1s are arguably better speakers and because they cost more, I think BB is being as fair as can be expected (unless they're the GMX variety), considering they don't carry the Z680s anymore.

Rereading his original post, he's had his speakers for a year and Logitech warranties them for 2 years. I'd hit them up for an RMA. From what I briefly read on their message forums (so take this with a grain of salt), I believe all he may have to do is pay for return shipping on the pod only, and they will send him out a new set. So he'd be out $5 or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:50 am 
Team Member
Team Member

One4yu2c wrote:

LOL Hey man I'll trade you my Klipsch 4.1's for the 5.1's ;) Logitechs are nice but there is a difference in quality.

Wazer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:21 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Jipstyle wrote:
POS Klipsch? I'll take those over Logitech anyday ... even the Z-680s. At the very least, they are equivalent products.

^ What he said. I have tested both on the Revo, A2ZS, Chaintech Envy24, and TB Santa Cruise. Klipsch is better imo. Best Buy only guarantees replacement with what they have currently in stock. Read your replacement BB warranty. Also the above poster is right. You get a 3 Year warranty through Logitech and you only have to pay shipping - this is exacly why most people don't buy the best Buy warranty if they know the OEM warranty is good enough. Overall volume doesn't tranlsate to overall quality of tones. Z-680 has more volume. Klipsch has more quality. Both are great. Once remains king .. that would be Klipsch imho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:33 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Wazer wrote:
One4yu2c wrote:

LOL Hey man I'll trade you my Klipsch 4.1's for the 5.1's ;) Logitechs are nice but there is a difference in quality.

Wazer

I'd almost do it too 8) I'd really like to have the 5.1 ultras though, I miss my Klipschs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 12:40 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

I've put this same protection on a printer & cordless phone. When I signed up I was told that they may not be able to exactly replace the merchandise. I paid my $30 any way, knowing that I'd eventually need to upgrade what I bought when it broke, or use it towards something else. My phone ended up going, they didn't have any more of the same brand (company stopped making phones), so I opted for store credit & spent it on something else. Unfortunatly, I was 2 months too late with my printer, so I lost out there. I don't put it on every purchase, so far just those 2 things.

I'd have to agree that you should try to RMA through Logitech.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:15 am 
Team Member
Team Member

It's been coming out all over the news, a lot of these extended warranties are bogus. More than anything, it's a false security blanket to make you feel extra secure (and extra broke) after making a purchase. I'm surprised best buy even offered you store credit. Usually they say they'll ship the damn things back to the manufacturer (at your expense) and have them repaired, as in, you get the same product you purchased back with an erector set esque solution poorly tacked on to the side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 4:28 am 

I understand that you are upset but Best Buy can not help the fact that the product you bought is discontinued. I would be happy that they are offering you store.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 5:28 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

pan0phobik wrote:

Hey Pano

This thread is old But I am bored.

BB gave you what they said they would give you. If you read the warrenty I mean. What they told you at the register I don't know.

The Klipsh are as good as the Logitec.

Consider this though. If you had no warrenty, what would you have? You would have to buy a new set of speakers. Now at least you have some options.

I would look at the RMA option, but really, I would just get the Klipsh - they are just as good IMO.

OR, buy some new Logitecs and spend the BB money on something else.

Warrenties are not always rip offs, but keep this in mind;
They are not simply designed to save you money. They are designed to make money for the provider.

Manta