Same as all the other brick-and-mortar's 32%  32%  [ 12 ]
Above average number of "unreasonable" prices 13%  13%  [ 5 ]
When in CompUSA, bend over 47%  47%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 38
 Post subject: CompUSA: convenient but damn expensive
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:44 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

OK, OK, I know CompUSA has every legal right to gouge me. Still.....I bought a 64 bit AMD 2800 chip for $269. Guess what ? Newegg.com sells it for about 50% less. The FIC motherboard I bought for $169 ? For that price, I could have bought a nice Asus board on newegg. I know I "deserved" my raping, but damn, Compusa just lost a customer unless I have a real, bona fide emergency (which should be the next time we have a full solar eclipse).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:29 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Guess you should have checked beforehand ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:10 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

never been in one

Quote:
OK, OK, I know CompUSA has every legal right to gouge me.

gouging...yes and no....you're paying for the convience of having it in your hands right now + if something is wrong with it you can replace it quicker than you could online

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:53 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

i agree on the pricing, i saw the exact same motherboard that i bought for $80 6 months prior from newegg on their clearance rack for $140. but, u cant really complain, u should know that internet shopping will be MUCH cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:38 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

dont go to compusa unless you are going there to get something on sale or on clearance(FOR A DECENT PRICE). Other than that they suck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:00 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

We just hate the store, not sure why but we do. The lines are long, either the sales people are up your ass or they ignore you. Years ago I bought a Compaq there & was told I could put protection on it up to 2 weeks after buying it. I went back within this time & they said it wasn't true. I ended up not needing it anyway.

We only buy something there when it's on sale, or will buy round IDE cables or fans there. No other store here stocks stuff like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:05 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

If I need a cable, fan, some blank media RIGHT THIS MINUTE, I'll go in.

Otherwise, Newegg, baby.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:10 pm 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

Heh, I'm Merchandising Manager at my CompUSA...

Sure, you pay for the convienience of getting it "right now." I'm not saying you can't get it cheaper, but think of this...

Techie Parts (Boards/Procs) are purchased only a few at a time, to try to stay competitively priced with Mom & Pop shops, not online stores...

Athlon64 3200+ came to the store in December, 2003. It retailled for $549.99. D&J Computers, just down the road from us was $544. Newegg had it for $504. We're still only about $10 more than them.

You can bitch about it, but you're probably one of the ones who sat for two hours before our WindowsXP Launch at Midnight that night. :)

SC64

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:05 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

The thing I don't like about CompUSA, besides the relatively high prices on most items (and it's usually much more than a $10 difference), is that everything in the store is yesterday's technology - hardware and software both. The selection is extremely limited, and when I do find an item I may be interested in, chances are that it is out of stock because of the limited quantites kept on hand. At least Fry's is much bigger, has a batter selection of software and hardware, and generally has better prices than CompUSA. They also tend to get newly released games MUCH faster than the competition (as in, on the release date, not two weeks later (*cough* Best Buy, CompUSA, Gamestop *cough*).

I have trouble with the convenience argument as well. Newegg tends to have reasonable shipping for hardware (even 2 day or next day), and gogamer has awesomely low shipping costs for games, and in both cases you don't pay sales tax. Odering Monday morning and having it in my hot little hands on Tuesday afternoon is just as convenient as driving out to a brick-and-mortar, finding parking, fighting the crowds of stupid people, waiting in line, and dealing with a stupid, slow, apathetic checker with an attitude, IMHO.

See, there, you got me started, damn. I honestly think that the only reaon brick and mortar comp stores still exist is that (1) most people who own computers are really too stupid for anything more comlicated than a toaster or a TV and probably shouldn't own one (and so are ripe for being fleeced by a CompUSA "sales associate") or (2) they make a lot of money from corporate accounts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 4:46 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I like one thing about CompUSA...

I get to play with the hardware before I buy online. Before I bought my Klipsch ProMedia's 2.1, I listened to them at the store. Before I bought my MS Intellimouse Explorer, I used it at the store. Before I bought my Canon printer, I printed a test page at the store. Get the idea.

You can't do that online.

I wish they carry a better line of monitors/lcd's - I'm interesting in purchasing the Samsung 910T 19" LCD and would like to see the display beforehand.

-misterLOBY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:00 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

http://maddox.xmission.com/c.cgi?u=compusa_sucks

I was in one yesterday... that article is no joke. I chose the second to last poll option.

Last edited by urmumsacow on Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 5:13 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

Depends on what I want, and what they have for what price, really. Sometimes they have some good deals, sometimes they don't. And it also depends on if I need the hardware NOW or it can wait for Newegg to get here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:56 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Yea, Bend over is right. Just a few weeks ago I needed a stick o' RAM on relatively short order, so I hop in my buick and go to comp usa. 99 bux for a stick of generic 512MB of pc2100 DDR. OUCH! Especially when the following day, I got some top of the line Kingston PC3200 512MB memory for under 60 with shipping! OUCH OUCH OUCH!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:14 am 

I agree with the pricing but there are those times when you need it now. I had a power supply fail on me and the choice was save 25% or so through online and wait a couple of days or run over to CU and have it right away. Sometimes impatience wins, especially when you want to see how your new mobo/cpu runs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:13 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I only go there when they have something for free that I want. While im in there my eyeballs pop out of my head and I become temporarily infertile from the prices I see.