Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:46 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

whitecree wrote:
I know the frustration you are feeling. I begin to wonder if Asus is a subsidiary of Soyo.

Post subject: My way to fix A9800XT (which hopefully will work)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 5:18 am 

I fixed my A9800XT the way I was describing before and it seems to work :)
I simply plugged the fan cables directly to power supply. Below I give basic instructions for people who would like to fix A9800XT that way:

There are cables going from the card (there's socket close to the side where you're plugging monitor cable) to the fans. There are three: two for supplying power (red and black) and one for monitoring (blue). The idea is to deliver voltage to fans directly from power supply. To do that you need to cut red and black cables and connect them to directly to one of power supply cables (these that are connected to HDD, CD-ROM and also A9800XT itself). You simply connect red with red and black with black, of course they need to be made longer first. Remember to connect them from the side of fans, not the board ;) - we want to supply power to fans afterall. Special care must be taken to prevent making short circuit - you must be careful not to let any of black cables touch red cables. That's actually all that needs to be done.
Theoretically blue cable can be left plugged to the card so that fan speed can be still monitored. I didn't leave it in, I'm not sure if it's safe, so try it only at your own risk.

If I had digital camera I would make some pictures to make it easier for others.

I don't guarantee this method works 100%. I've just done it that way with my card and it seems to work, but some burn-tests still have to be made.

I wish every owner of A9800XT that they don't need to fix their cards, but if they do I hope this post will be of some help.

Damian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:39 am 

Damian,

Glad your up and running again! I'm happy with my Zalman solution, just angry that I had to spend money on a problem for which we are not to blame. Money aspect is important, but the time aspect is what angers me.

Blondie,

Yeah in hind sight if I had know that the MPC staff didn't read the forums, I would have gladly sent the dog email concerning this Asus design issue. I just made a stupid assumption that they did I guess. :(

This card has a 3 year warranty on it. I bet if we sent them back each time they did this, we would go through 20-30 said poorly designed A9800XT and end the end we would end up with a card destined to only work properly for approximately 2-3 months. Each time I sent mine in I asked for "new" card to only be give a heavily used/dirty card. Just plain crappy service.

Regards,

VG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:53 am 

Hello

This post is just a little correction to my description of fixing A9800XT fans.

The point is that red cable going out from fan shouldn't be connected with red cable of power supply, but with yellow one.
Red cable supplies 5V and fans will work, but slowly. Yellow cable supplies 12V and I think that's the voltage these fans need.

Regards,
Damian