Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Asus A9800XT grief..... 3rd time? Design Flaw?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 1:13 pm 

Thanks for the great magazine as I live for each copy to show up in the mail each month. J I’m a long time subscriber that is in need of some help, and to also make others aware of a quality issue that resides at Asus.

I’m writing because I’m fed up with paying $450 for a video card that is obviously has a design flaw. I’m on my 3rd 9800XT from Asus, and feel like they don’t really care. My 1st card’s fan controller acted crazy and would fail to run the 2 fans. After going back and forth with ASUS tech support for 2 weeks, they finally sent me a replacement. It was DOA and had nothing but corrupt graphics. After closer examination the card had been dropped at some point by them as the copper sink was bent. It was also very obvious that the card was heavily used, aka scratched, nasty dirty fans/sinks. My card was 1.5 months old and was spotless.

I again went back and forth for 2 weeks on getting a replacement for the 2nd defective card. After receiving my current replacement, it too appeared heavily used and dirty, but thankfully it worked. Within a couple of weeks it started to behave the same as my 1st card with SmartDoctor giving me warnings on fan failures sporadically and since I have a window on my case, I can see that in fact the card isn’t spinning the fans all the time. The past few days it has gotten worse with me not being able to play Doom3 or CS Source as a result of the fan quitting during game play. The fans are fine, but again it is the controller on the card that is faulty. I have been a devout Asus fan for years and currently have a P4C800-E deluxe that is the main board for this video card as well as 3 other ASUS motherboards and a variety of older Asus video cards.

I can’t believe that this is the way ASUS deals with customers and am in shock that they send out defective, heavily used replacements. I realize they may not be brand new cards that they replace warranty cards with, but damn…… At least make sure they work and haven’t been used as a hockey pucks. L. I found that a few review sites for the card also mentioned the same issue on their demo cards that Asus sent them….. On advice that I found on a 3rd party site, I uninstalled the Asus SmartDoctor to see if it would improve my problem…. Nope… same issues… It quits working in the middle of a game…

I have also emailed the Dog with this info as well.

Thanks for any help or assistance you can provide…

Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:55 pm 

damn, that really sux, ASUS needs to get the act together. i suggest going for a Saphire 9800 XT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 4:08 pm 

overclockerdude99 wrote:
damn, that really sux, ASUS needs to get the act together. i suggest going for a Saphire 9800 XT

Stupid me, I thought I was getting the best card... Saphire being more value oriented, I though NAH... I want Asus..... Damn, what was I thinking????? :evil:

I don't know if I should roll the dice again and waste another 1.5 months of my gaming life or just buy an after market cooler for it and push the totally price up to 480 bucks... :(

I have also googled others with my configuration that are having the same fallout.... Asus P4C800-E delux motherboard and Asus A9800XT just don't mix. Guess they don't do much compatibility testing with their own products... :cry:

Oh well, more to follow as I try and figure out what to do.... :(

Thanks for the replies,

Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:03 am 

The fan controller on the card finally gave up the ghost last night. I ended up pulling it and putting my old trusty MSI 4600TI. I couldn't get the 9800 to power up the fan sink at all.

Sad thing is they will try and try to ship me a new fansink instead of doing the right thing first as they repeatedly did last time it died.

I have started the process to get the card RMA'd and we will see how they respond. The RMA center is based In California.

It bites, because HL2 will probably go gold while I'm without. :x I can still play CS Source with this card, but the graphics aren't nearly as good. :(

More to follow as I hear it.

Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:07 am 
Willamette
Willamette

in my opinion MSI is better than asus now. But asus still makes good motherboards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 7:08 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

That is some bad luck to have from a reputable company like Asus. I never really considered any of their video cards. I would have thought however that they were a good product judging from their rep as a mobo maker.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:26 pm 

agreed

Post subject: Update..... NO update... they moved the submission date
PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:41 pm 

Well I submitted my tech support request Sunday, early evening... 7PM approximately. Now looking at my page where it shows if they have sent mail, and it shows:

ASUS Online Technical Service--- Search for Mailing Reply Status
If your query is not replied within 48 hours, the system will raise your query level as first priority automatically. Thus, your matter will be processed by ASUS technical personnel as urgent. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Mail ID Subject Date
WTM200408301035317572 Graphic Card A9800 Series 2004-08-30 10:35:25
This mail didn't reply yet !!

---------- Incoming Message ----------

Apply date : 8/30/2004 10:35:31 AM

Now it said 48 hours to respond, not business hours. I even have confirmation letter that arrived in my email @ Sun 8/29/2004 7:36 PM from Asus confirming my submission.

I know I should be more patient, but why did they fuge the submission date by a day? Yeah.. call me picky. ;) Seems they should state the time zone as well, but I guess that is asking too much as well. :(

Any bets on how long it takes them to send me a replacement fan-sink? :) I also will wager they will want me to pick up shipping yet again. They tried to make me pay shipping on the 2nd lemon they sent, and I had to argue to get them to pick up the tab as they should.

More to follow as I get lead down the path to fan-sinks.

BTW, the fan-sink controller finally died and wouldn't spin up the fans at all. I had to put my old trusty reliable MSI 4600TI back in...

Lee

Post subject: Still no word yet from Asus.
PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:17 pm 

Wow, their service is great. Keep in mind this is only the 1st hurdle to go through to get an RMA. I guess they really need to update that page to 72 hours, or 96 hours?

ASUS Online Technical Service--- Search for Mailing Reply Status
If your query is not replied within 48 hours, the system will raise your query level as first priority automatically. Thus, your matter will be processed by ASUS technical personnel as urgent. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Mail ID Subject Date
WTM2004083010353 Graphic Card A9800 Series 2004-08-30 10:35:25
This mail didn't reply yet !!

---------- Incoming Message ----------

Apply date : 8/30/2004 10:35:31 AM

BAH!!!

I can't believe these guys. :shock:

-Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:01 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

bummer, i always go MSI or ATI i've always thought asus made decent cards but now i dont think i'll go for one of 'em

Post subject: A week has gone bye and no reply from Asus..... :(
PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2004 6:47 pm 

I have replied back to the stupid web form and it gets me nothing. Funny thing is after you submit and update the next screen is in Chinese. :shock: Ok... So I play guess the button game and finally get to a page that displays a name at the top with email address... WOW... OK, so I reply to that.... Typical Asus manner, here is what I got:

Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2004 3:08 PM
To: XXXXXX@XXX.com
Subject: 郵件答錄機自動回覆: Graphic Card A9800 Series dead yet again. Almost a week with NO replies! Case Code :WTM2004083DDDDDD

I am not in Taiwan during 9/6 ~ 9/13.

For e-Service system, please contact Feng lin (ext. 7302) or Alex-yc (2151).
For e-Repair system, please contact Gary (7202) or Bryan (7230)
Others, please contact Feng (7302) or Gordon (7132)

Anyone have ANY contact with these guys via their worthless help desk?

Regards,

Lee

Post subject: Still no reply.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:46 pm 

Just some friendly advice.... Don't rely on Asus for any tech support. Has been 1.5 weeks and they still don't respond. I've emailed their RMA email address, as well as the plain tech support address with no luck. Tomorrow, I'll waste more of my money and time trying to call and get a person to talk to about this situation.

It's very obvious that once they have your money, they don't care.... :cry:

Sad, but true......

More to follow....

Lee

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:04 pm 

Not to dig up the dead, but today my fans fail to spin up as they have 4 times before.

I gave up on trying to get treated right as a customer and put the Zalman heat pipe solution on my 9800XT... I am not willing to give up my freaking card again for another 2-3 weeks just to recieve another card that does the exact same thing.

Nice to see that Maximum PC doesn't care... least the Dog doesn't that Asus is just shovelling out the same crap repeatedly only to have it do the EXACT same thing 4 times.... :evil:

Is sad that Asus can't perform compatibility testing on their own hardware to catch problems like this, or replace said hardware with newer versions that don't have the same problem. :cry:

I give up.......

Regards,

VG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:36 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

I have had my own bad experience with Asus tech support, as mentioned in my thread. I cannot beleive that such a good and reputable company can lack so horribly in this very important area....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:56 pm 

Sorry for the rant, but I've wasted approximately >2 months of the video cards life with it being in their hands to determine that yeah... the fan-controller ckt is bad for the 4th time. I'm futher angered by having to spend 50 bucks to get a final solution to the problem by purchasing a Zalman heatpipe system for the 9800XT. Only way I knew it died this last time is I started seeing corruption while playing HL2DM. I shutdown system and card was too hot to handle. :twisted:

Only thing I can do is give up...... Don't know where else to turn or what else to say, as Asus obviously doesn't care to root cause the issue and treat me as a customer better than garbage, considering I spent all most $500 on a video card that is poorly designed.

Thanks for the replies,

VG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:09 pm 

I also have problems with my Asus A9800XT. It was working without problems for one year. But lately fans just stopped working (sometimes they start working again, but for short). First I thought that fans itself got broken or that there's a problem with one of the cables. But I checked them and they seem to be ok. Now I found this posts and I think it could be this fan controller, that is causing problems.

Unfortunatelly I can't have my card repaired / replaced by warranty because I bought it abroad and there's no Asus service around here :(

I'm thinking about changing the cooling system myself... I wanted to ask if this Zalman heatpipe system helped? Is card OK? Didn't fan controller problem cause any other troubles (crashes or something)?

I'm really dissapointed with Asus. I decided for Asus to avoid problems and I see it's one of the most problematic graphic cards :(

Thanks for any info!

Regards,
Damian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:41 pm 

I know there are more of us out here with the same problem, but the Dog doesn't seem to care..... :(

With that said, I was playing HL2 and saw corruption in game and knew immediately it was the card. I shutdown the computer and the card was too hot to handle.

I had bought http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/product/vi ... 8&code=013 when I recieved my last replacement, as I knew Asus, didn't care and just wanted us A9800XT owners to disappear.

It was a bit difficult to install and took a bit of time, but the card is in MUCH better hands, no thanks to Maximum PC Dog.

I did buy the optional fan for the cooler and it is nice an quite even running on the 12v connector instead of the 5v. They give you a choice as to how much cooling you need.

I've never overclocked my card, but now feel that if I did, I would have the safety net that Asus failed to offer.

Good luck,

VG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:47 pm 

How could they sell card with such a flaw? As far as I know Asus isn't using standard card design (most ATI-based cards do) - they made their own design. It seems not very successful though...

This Zalman solution looks really good, but I guess it requires taking off standard A9800XT radiators (which is probably not easy). I wonder if it helps if I just plug fans directly to power supply. If problem is with fan controller then fans should be OK, so if I plug them directly maybe they would work again (I just wouldn't be able to monitor or control their speed).

I'll try that and later I'll describe results.

Thanks for info and I wish no more problems with your card!

BTW There is one more thing about A9800XT. When Windows XP boots up with some drivers it happens that screen goes blank for a few seconds. I have read that updating graphics card BIOS helps - I haven't tried it yet, first I have to fix the fans ;)

Damian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:58 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Volcano God wrote:
I know there are more of us out here with the same problem, but the Dog doesn't seem to care..... :(

Good luck,

VG

Did you send the Dog an email or did you only post it here? Posting here does not guarantee The Dog will read it

Woof! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:26 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

And if you DO e-mail the Dog, don't expect a reply, he's a busy fella and it even says so when you e-mail him.

How can you say MPC doesn't care? The gang is busy putting together the next issue, and don't hang around here too much. I'll repeat what Blondie said; Did you e-mail them, or just post here?

I know the frustration you are feeling. I begin to wonder if Asus is a subsidiary of Soyo.