Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Adobe & the security breach
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:19 am 
Willamette
Willamette

This is not really aimed at Adobe in particular, because it's happened to other companies too, but I think that the breach that got Adobe is going to have some long term affects on their products and customers...

My biggest concern is the security now with Adobe Acrobat Reader. Granted I stopped using this program a long while back (in favor of FoxIt's PDF Reader) but I do still have to use Adobe Creative Suite at work, and am concerned about rogue updates coming through, especially those for Acrobat. It just concerns me because if the source code is still floating around out there, wouldn't it be much easier for someone to write a "Fake" bogus update for Adobe that is in fact malware? Sure, AV apps should be able to catch them, but if they are using things such as Digital Signatures from Adobe (that could possibly have been stolen as well), wouldn't this put all Adobe users at risk?

I'm just concerns. I like their products (except Acrobat reader because it's such a resource hog), espeically Photoshop and Dreamweaver, but now whenever an update notice comes through for any Adobe product, I'm a bit wary. I mean, I'm always careful about updates, and usually will not use automatic updates to actually install updates, but only to alert me that there are updates, and then I go to the developer's site and download and install the update myself, but the problem with Adobe is that this is realy the only way you can get updates (is through an auto-update service) for most of its products.

Opinions?

Post subject: Re: Adobe & the security breach
PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:41 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You could always just run the thing in a sandbox or, assuming it won't hurt performance much, a VM.

Post subject: Re: Adobe & the security breach
PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:52 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I may do that (a VM). I just dislike using VMs for production (programming or media creation) because of the reduced performance, but I will still try it and see how bad it is. I don't mind VMs for non-production tasks (Such as running Linux or another OS).

I'm just thinking about all of the other people out there that maybe aren't as tech savvy, and will just install the update because they see it come up thinking its OK to update (sort of like the rash of bad updates that went around ten years ago--or something like that). I can just see the hackers (those that broke into ADobe's systems) using Acrobat Reader as a great tool for infecting PCs with malware, spyware and viruses, as do most people with malicious intent. I may also just turn up the AV settings on the computer, and even though it will have a slight performance hit, at least it will be more aggressive in real time scanning...