Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Rip-off Razer Goliathus pads?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:49 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390575157234?ss ... 1439.l2649
I bought one of these, as was $13 less than every other Large Speed on the Internet (also I didn't want to get a 2014 edition since it probably performs worse with optical mice due to its lighter color scheme). It's from China. The listing does not mention a box.

Now, I still have a Large Speed Goliathus and I was buying a second one for a second system; the first one came in a box. It was legit, and continues to perform well. The pad from China did not come in a box--it came rolled up in foam in a plastic bag--I can get frugality and saving on shipping, and I don't really care about the stupid box, even though it means I have no UPC, and can't register the product on Razer's website.

The second thing that hit me was the smell--super strong chemical smell which I'm pretty sure is from the top surface of the pad, not the bottom side.

The thicknesses of the two pads are different--original is thinner, pad from China is thicker. The proportions of the pad from China are short by about a quarter of an inch in width and an eigth of an inch in height. The braiding on the edges of the pad from China on the bottom have a right angle where the stiching crosses itself. The corners of the pad from China are closer to right angles, the original has quarter-circle corners. The stair-step pattern on the reverse of the pad from China is wider than the original pad's by a few millimeters. The large green splatter logo's location and size on pad from China is up and to the right; the word “Razer” is larger and shifted to the left; the word “Goliathus [sideways alpha symbol]” appears to be the same size as in the original pad, but is shifted up relative to its previous location. The resolution looks different on the pad from China—it is less detailed, like it's a vectorized version of the other one. The colors are less saturated and darker; the colors bleed (they look blurry on edges) across borders where two colors are adjacent. The pad from China has a glossier finish, but that could be because of use of the original pad.

The biggest difference is the whole reason why I bought the thing to begin with, for the surface—but the two surfaces are different. The pad from China has a silkier feel, and the original pad's weave can be felt by touching it.

So based on this comparison, can anyone confirm or deny with two pads they know are genuine that these are revisions or acceptable differences, and not something resulting from a lesser quality rip-off?

I guess I'm going to have to return it if it's a fake; I don't see any reason to keep a pad that hasn't been approved by significant professional testing. If the return shipping is more than what I bought it for, I guess I could sell it with the disclaimer that it's a feeble attempt at trying to simulate what someone else successfully manufactured. And also, if it's a fake, it's best to let everyone know not to buy Razer products second-hand or risk getting junk, especially if it's from this particular seller, and if it's this series of pads.

Post subject: Re: Rip-off Razer Goliathus pads?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:27 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Did you contact the seller? Sending seems like a waste of time and money, since it's only $14 in the first place. They even say it comes in a bag, not a box.

I'm no gamer, so to me the razer pad seems gimmicky. Does it even affect mouse movement speed or whatever?

It also seems to me that, if these aren't fakes, they could actually be quality-control rejects.

To me, your negatives seem like pluses:

:( Thicker mat = More longetivity :D
:( Strong chemical smell = Genuine manufactured product, not some animal skin :D
:( Right Angle Stitches = Perfect 90 degree angles for OCD gamers :D
:( Silky feel = Mouse can glide like it's floating :D

Sarcasm aside, I didn't know they made mouse pads that huge. I'm using a cheap pad from the roller ball days that's probably over 10 years old.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:01 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Most gamer stuff is just stuff that has a lot of markup or is overengineered anyway. :3

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:24 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I'm looking for responses from users who have two of both kinds of pads that can be traced to a genuine retailer. I'm asking for input exclusively from owners of Razer Goliathus pads, or who may have experience in what to look for in non-genuine pads.

My guess is that the pad from China is a standard mousepad surface like you would find at a business supply retailer.

I contacted the seller prior to posting anything in the forums.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:36 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I own a Goliathus game mat. It came in a box. I can tell you mine is rubber on the bottom like all mouse pads are and the top is textured and not silky at all.

You know, it's bugging me people come into forums asking for people's experiences about very specific things. Do I own a legitimate Goliathus mat? Probably, it came in a legitimate looking box and I got it off Amazon from a US vendor. Do I own a suspected Chinese knock off too? No. Because why would I? I probably would've been fine with the suspected knock off anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:45 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I guess so. I should probably try to return it then.