Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hey, Amazon! Why don't you accept bank account payment?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 2:54 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I was trying to buy a high-end television and soundbar for my master bedroom so I can use my Xbox One to extend PC media, and I had enough money to buy a Sony XBR 55X850B and a HT-XT1. So I put my order in for those, and all of the sudden, Amazon notified me that it's cancelling my order, and telling me to change my payment method to either a debit or credit card (which neither one of those would allow me to buy real big ticket items, since those usually have limits), so I was like...FINE!! I'll take my business to Newegg where they DO accept cash payments through Paypal, and they DO accept anything as long as you have it. Sure, Newegg might not sell any XBR-line Sony Braviae (I know my Latin plurality, thank you), but at least I did get a 55" Sony that's high-end enough in the W950B (sure, it might not be 4K/2160p like an XBR would, but certainly still worthy to upgrade to). Wow... I hope either, 1) Amazon changes their policy to make it clearer to the end-user how they will accept and ship things out, or 2) If Newegg sells Sony TVs, they should be able to sell ALL of those lines, including the XBR line.

So, I kind of have a beef with both companies in the fact that Newegg doesn't sell anything higher than the W950B, and that Amazon won't take cash payments on electronic items.
Man, this is making brick and mortar sound more and more tempting by the day.

Post subject: Re: Hey, Amazon! Why don't you accept bank account payment?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:14 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Was the seller Amazon themselves, or a third party vendor that operates using Amazon? There's a big difference. Basically it's like blaming Craigslist for a seller who refuses certain forms of payment.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 5:17 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I think it was Amazon themselves. Perhaps I must not have seen what kind of policies they had in terms of what payment methods they'd accept for purchases over a certain amount before they automatically cancel orders on you, or what the case was... Like I said, at least Newegg allows you to pay cash through Paypal, but at the same time, I was hoping they'd sell higher-end TVs than the Sony Bravia W950B (I was REALLY eyeing the Sony Bravia XBR 55" X850B). Like I said, it seems that having a beef with BOTH online retailers, one for not allowing cash payment on televisions, apparently, and the other for not selling ALL Sony TVs if they are truly an authorized Sony retailer. Other than that, at least I do have a 55" coming my way, even if it wasn't the 4K/2160p model I was really looking for. I'm sure the W950B will last a long time, anyway...it has bells and whistles in other areas to make up for the lack of extra resolution.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:14 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
egg had the 850b when I looked a few min. ago, same price as Amazon.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:06 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

g.m.waters (red ranger3) wrote:
egg had the 850b when I looked a few min. ago, same price as Amazon.

Yeah, but it was a THIRD PARTY selling them... Can't really trust 3rd Party vendors.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:54 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
all transactions still go through the egg, payments etc. I have personally purchased several higher ticket items from others selling through egg without any problems. all they did was ship it, and I got to pay with pay pal which I now prefer since I am on my 4th debit card in just a year and a half. appearing on hacked lists and one attempt at an overseas charge I didn't make, my credit union wanted to change cards just in case.

you get the pay pal guarantees on the transactions as well. amazon uses 7 different suppliers for that model. even walmart has it, but they use third parties as well, including amazon. but they also take pay pal and include a hundred bucks worth of 4k bluerays.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:56 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Thanks. I even notice that the Sony Store even uses Paypal, but I don't think I saw that cash was an option through Paypal with them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:06 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You can always apply for a PayPal debit card, assuming the place you're ordering from takes Mastercard (since that's who they go through). And then just use that for online transactions.

Or in my opinion, just get a credit card. There are plenty of cards you can get and they have a lot more protection than anything tied to your bank.