Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Best Buy's Toshiba laptops
PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:51 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

First of all, I would like to say that I am a huge fan of Toshiba laptops as I have one that I purchased over six and a half years ago from NewEgg and it still works (I am writing this post using the laptop right now). However, I have a friend that I work with at my place of employment who has brought to me two Toshiba laptop computers that his daughters use for school. These computers both have Windows 8 installed on them, and neither of them work. The first one is a beautifully constructed 17.3" laptop with all the bells and whistles (including four USB 3.0 ports and a 10-key numeric keypad). The problem with it is that it fails to produce anything but a blank black screen during boot-up. The second is a 15.4" laptop whose battery fails to charge. Not only that, but when the AC adapter is plugged into it, no power light comes on to indicate that there is even AC power being provided to the system. I have already ruled out the adapter as being the problem, so I must conclude that there is a problem with the connection between the AC adapter port and the motherboard in the laptop. The other laptop appears to have a motherboard that is defective. I believe this is the case because, before it stopped producing a visible Windows interface on its screen, I was able to boot into the OS, but I noticed that there were indications that the motherboard was failing (messages stating that the computer's AC adapter was not plugged in, even though the adapter was plugged into it, etc.) Both of these computers were purchased at Best Buy and both of them failed in just over a year and a half after they were purchased. Has anyone else experienced this type of issue?

Post subject: Re: Best Buy's Toshiba laptops
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:08 am 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
why are you trying to blame bestbuy it does not matter who sells it, those power issues have been around ever since there were portable computers, it is nothing new. but blaming the seller is just plain ridiculous. blame the motherboard manufacturer that used a .25 cent connector that failed and replace it with a good one.

Post subject: Re: Best Buy's Toshiba laptops
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:20 am 
Willamette
Willamette

pcstudent wrote:
.... battery fails to charge. Not only that, but when the AC adapter is plugged into it, no power light comes on to indicate that there is even AC power being provided to the system. ... a problem with the connection between the AC adapter port and the motherboard in the laptop. ... messages stating that the computer's AC adapter was not plugged in, even though the adapter was plugged into it, etc.) .... Has anyone else experienced this type of issue?

Yes. It is the most common cause of laptop failure.

Moving the laptop while the AC/DC ballast is plugged in and jerking the cord connected to the laptop. Or tripping over this cord. Either way it damages the power connection soldered to the MB. Some laptops are designed for fairly easy repair of this connection, others require removal of the MB and delicate soldering.

Apple notebooks use a clever magnetic connection (patented) to prevent just this type of damage by cleanly separating the power cord from the laptop when people passing by either don't see the cord, or users forget their laptop is plugged in and start to carry it somewhere else.

How is Best Buy responsible, or Toshiba for that matter for user induced damage?

Looks like Toshiba uses a mount off the MB so it is easier but plastic holds it together and as my father used to say plastic is not an engineering material. Meaning it fails.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R55es41nwm8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeuArf_4uwg