Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HD warranties, keeping receipts, & getting separate rece
PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:45 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

One thing to consider about HD's and warranties that has already may have been said:

Make sure you save your receipt for the HD purchase. Some companies honor the warranty of the HD at the date of birth/creation of the HD itself, INSTEAD of the date it was sold from the store. Pretty shifty from these companies if you ask me, but as long as you have your receipt from the store, the company SHOULD honor the warranty from the date of sale from the store.

Also a little side thing for myself...make sure everything is purchased separately if your buying stuff for a computer build, so you get separate receipts for EVERYTHING. It may be more of a pain in the ass to do, but you'll thank yourself later.
I just helped a friend a few months ago build a system, and he bought everything on one giant buy from Best Buy. Two of the items, a RAM chip and the HD went bad at separate times. The HD went first, and we kept the receipt, but we had to use the original receipt in order to return the HD and the store requested they needed the receipt for their paperwork. Best Buy had no problem with the first problem, but when the RAM chip went bad, the gave us a hard time because we didn't have the original receipt for the next time, and they were quoting store policy saying, "You have to have the original receipt." over and over again, trying to weasel out of giving us a replacement RAM chip and honoring the exchange, thinking we were trying to pull a scam over on Besy Buy.
Well, finally after bitching for 30 minutes and calling the district manager of that particular store, we eventually got our way but MAN, was it a friggin' hassle.

Save yourself some headaches...buy eveything SEPARATELY. You may never have to need your separate receipt, but if you do, AND if you have multiple items that crap out BEFORE the warranty is due, it may save you some time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:18 am 
Notched on both sides
Notched on both sides

Nice info Joe,
I always request multiple Receipts (at time of purchase) just for this purchase - I can tell you that Best Buy, Circuit City, and CompUSA have always complied - Mom & Pop shops are always more than willing to do so as well...

Tuathal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:45 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Quote:
I just helped a friend a few months ago build a system, and he bought everything on one giant buy from Best Buy.

Ouch. I did my first system build like that (circa 1999) and got ripped off and ran into no end of hardware problems. Not to mention that every salesperson I met was a moron.

He bought the case there too? Every case I've ever seen there looked like the evil bastard spawn of a sexual relationship involving an Apple Imac and an emachines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:24 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

What can I say? The guy said he wanted quality he could trust and he wouldn't buy anything unless it was from Best Buy. And he didn't want to request separate receipts for anything thinking he'd only need one receipt.

Needless to say, I had a gut feeling this might have happened, but I was a bit trusting myself. We both learned a lesson that day to get SEPARATE receipts. And how wonderful :roll: and excellent Best Buy's service really was that day.

Always best to remember CYOA:

Cover
Your
Own
@SS