Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Samsung YH-820
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 4:11 pm 

:evil: BE Warned?

This 4 gig mp3 player is not an mp3 player at all, but a proprietary device to be used exclusively with NAPSTER?

After trying to get this thing to work for my daughter, I've become more than annoyed. There is no utility to transfer files to the MP3 player other than using Napster. Think that sounds bad? Napster is using a Kazzaa like license agreement (trust us, we'll update your software when we feel like it, and to ensure anti-spyware doesn't catch on to us?).

But to transfer files, you actually have to log on to Napster. I don't need Napster, I've got plenty of music. While trying to get this thing to work, I sign up for Napster (kicking and screaming). Then I get "updated". Then I log on. I "import" my media into the library (a few files to see if it works). Device doesn't show up (yes my system is up to specs).

Out of curiosity I go digging into "my Napster profile" and discover that the probable earlier unusual hard disk activity on my computer (prompting a pull the network plug ) that was was probably do the "default" setting of "sharing" my library with everybody on the planet. I have a bright LED light on my hard drives, so I DO notice.

Like I want a friggin lawsuit. Uninstalled the software with "features" I don't need. Be warned? I'm probably going to write a letter to the State District Attorney about deceptive advertising -- this is not a MP3 player, a but proprietary device used exclusively by Napster subscribers. That's deceptive advertising.

To heap insult on injury, it appears that this device is nothing but spyware? I don't listen to much music, I was just trying to get this thing to work for my daughter. I'd make sure that any MP3 player I buy in the future (assuming I have that luxury) will not require any proprietary software to use. If you can drag and drop files, you don't need any Napster Log on.

My first MP3 player used Music Match, and it didn't require you to be connected to the internet (so they can spy on you). Geez. Good thing I didn't have any tape recordings of duck farts and other exotic sounds on there -- I'd get sued for excessive laughter.

These big online companies are sooo abusive. Just installing software takes you to different servers (little more than IP addresses). TIP -- if you can't install software from one domain without it transfering you over to other domains, etc., avoid it like the plague.?

It's great for a 4 gig flash drive -- other than that, I don't see how to use it without Napster? If you get similar experiences, write letters to the companies, to the editors at Maximum PC and to authorities who regulate deceptive trade practices. One cranky Dad is a drop in a pond. You want a cannonball in this pool?

Woof.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:25 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Samsung makes great:
LCDs
RAM
CRTs
Cell Phones
and other things....

They do not make good MP3 players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:57 pm 

It looks like a great product, I just want them to release the software so that you don't have to use Napster. In order to transfer your files to the device, you have to "import them into the library". There are no warning bells and whistles in Napster that your files in the library have a default setting of "sharing". I assumed Napster was a different software product since it is basically a paying service. I had no idea the elements of the old software was still functional.

So, this is deceptive advertising, it is not a MP3 player, it is a proprietary device to use with the "free" subscription service of Napster. And yes, you have to log on everytime you want to do this. I've let them know my concerns, hopefully they will see that Napster is taken them for a ride and release the software that will let you use the device without Napster.

Creative released a 20 gig MP3 player for about $40 more, and I bet they don't require Napster. I haven't had time to look at the manual for it yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:11 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Wow, what the fsck is up with that? Email the Dog if you haven't already - the problems here don't look like they're forwarded to the Dog's attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:28 am 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

willah wrote:
Samsung makes great:
LCDs
RAM
CRTs
Cell Phones
and other things....

They do not make good MP3 players.

They also make killer cameras/camcorders.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:27 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

How is this not similar to itunes?