Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Do not buy seagate
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:04 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I will never own another seagate the cheap bastards. When i first built my current computer 2 years ago i put in a seagate 80gb hdd. After about 20 days i noticed i was only runnin 30gb (got caught up in building new system :cry: ) so i tryed changin jumps and goin into bios and reformattin the hdd. still nothin so i call seagate after bout 5 days of callin i finially got someone and they told me that they couldnt do anything and basically denied me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:09 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Err.. Huh?

Is this a 2 year old problem that you just now got around to post about? Or is this a 2 year old drive that started giving you problems?

How long was the warranty? Did you run their software to see if that would fix it? You have to run that software before they'll take it back and it also has to be under warranty.

Personally, of all the drive manufacturers I've had the least troubles with Seagate. I don't work for 'em, but I'd hate for them to lose another customer over a possible misunderstanding.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:19 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

is a 2 year old problem i just got around to post about. and yes i tried runnin all their software that came with the hdd again. i picked up the 30 day warranty when i bought it from best buy but when i took it back it was on day 30 and best buy being corporate a holes wouldnt take it back or anything and seagate was uncooperative. i'm sure in the past 2 years their policy and product has improved but in my new build goin with maxtor and wd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 12:56 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Firemandave wrote:
is a 2 year old problem i just got around to post about. and yes i tried runnin all their software that came with the hdd again. i picked up the 30 day warranty when i bought it from best buy but when i took it back it was on day 30 and best buy being corporate a holes wouldnt take it back or anything and seagate was uncooperative.
Hmm..
Well, ultimately it was BB's responsibility, however I'm very surprised Seagate didn't take it back*. They're usually quite good about that.

Quote:
i'm sure in the past 2 years their policy and product has improved but in my new build goin with maxtor and wd.
If you do here's a few suggestions.
If you go with Maxtor, see if you can get the Maxline series. They're made with better parts, have a longer warranty and only cost a few dollars more than their Diamondmax series.
I say this because I have a few Diamondmax 10's here at work that have dropped from a RAID-1 array multiple times and have already had to replace 1. They're less than a year old. I've also recently had to replace multiple Maxtor 40GB 5400Rpm drives.

If you go with WD, try and go with the Special edition drives or Raptors. Again, they're built better, have better performance and usually have longer warranties. I've had a couple of their 'Caviar' drives die right out of the box.

*Actually, I just went to Seagates site and checked their warranty statement. I don't see anything about Retail drives going back to the retailer, which to me, sounds like it *is* Seagate's responsibility. If that's so, I'd go to their website and see if you can do an online RMA instead of talking to one of their lackeys. I've had good luck with returns that way. Since you say it was only 2 years ago, it *may* still be under warranty since most drives from them have a 3 year warranty.
Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:51 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

I have 2 Seagate drives... never had a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:30 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

WD..40Gig, 7200....still going after 4 years

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:35 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Ive got a seagate here that I hate with a passion.

Incidentally its for sale: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:05 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

It may or may not influence a decision, but didn't Seagate start a thing with most of the drives we the consumers would purchase having a 5-year warranty now? see http://5yrwarranty.seagatestorage.com/

I bought a couple of Western Digital drives retail last year when they had great rebates. Nothing wrong with the drives, but I had to pay $15 to extend 1-year warranties to 3-year warranties.

Maxtor is just not in my book anymore. I haven't seen an option from them to pay for an extra couple of years warranty. I bought a pair of SATA 120GB drives a while back from CompUSA. One of them died within 2 weeks. I took it back, exchanged it, and bought warranties from CompUSA for both of them since Maxtor only gives a 1-year warranty on retail purchased drives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:25 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

urmumsacow wrote:
Ive got a seagate here that I hate with a passion.

Incidentally its for sale: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

Haha, love the line about burnt toast.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:39 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I've bought WD and have had no issues with them I basically buy whatever is on sale at the time and cheaper which has been WD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:28 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

WD does do a lot with rebates, and I've never gotten stiffed on a rebate with them. But then it costs $15 to get the 3-year warranty from WD.

Seagates (the ones most of us are likely to buy) now come with a 5-year warranty. That's a helluva selling point for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:27 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

ya i'm fed up with seagate my brother in law had a seagate after i did had problems even after i warned him. so we both decided to go with wd and maxtor. i have wd 40 also from a old p2 system thats about 6+ years old and it still runs perfectly. i just started it up last week and man did it bring back memorys, but after about 10 min i got tired of the slow speeds lol so i jumped back to my p4

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:14 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Just to offer a counter opinion....

I've always been very happy with Seagate myself.