Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: We need to quit trashing Geek Squad
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:31 am 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

After all, they provide us a valuable service. Thanks to Geek Squad, I no longer have stupid computer illiterate friends wanting me to help them do this or that... especially for free.

Although I consider myself an expert at building systems, installing and configuring Windows and applications, removing viruses and spyware, installing hardware, just about everything... I no longer admit it to friends.

I have learned to refer them to Geek Squad and let them get ripped off for $149 so I don't have to deal with it. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:34 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

just fucking charge them half of Gay squad
er....
geek squad.... :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:16 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I agree with the thread author. This is what I've done.
Free labor doesn't sit well with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:57 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

charge monies.
half of gay squad

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:22 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

I'd feel guilty about chargin' my friends...

..but I'd feel even more guilty letting them throw serious cash at Geek Squad. Might as well take $50, fix the friend's compy and eat Subways for a week. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 4:24 pm 

The fact of the matter is. Friends should buy you a good meal like steak or something with beer (of course) because they are friends and if you dont want to charge them then thats your solution. Paying for a 20 dollar meal is cheaper than paying someone else. Thats what I do.

Now on the other hand other people. Charge them up. if you dont they will expect it for free all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:46 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I've been charging friends for years. $25.00 for diagnostics and $25.00 an hour after Diagnosing and they buy the parts. $70.00 for a basic os install. I do admit that once they tell me or I go over to their house and see they are using a PII or worse a straight up pentium system I tell them to buy a newer more up to date system and that they will be happier when they do.
The biggest problem I had was the wife wanting to volunteer my time to fix peoples systems without running it by me. The second biggest was fixing the system setting up virus, popup, adware, and good firerwall protection only to have them disable things and then come back in a week or so complaining that thier system was right back were it was before I helped out. My personal belief is if you ain't gonna learn how to use and properly protect it then dont waist your and my time, get a calculator.KOMM
:roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:53 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

god Kommander you freaking ripoff!

I'd charge 25 bux for diagnostic AND if their was a problem, and 20 bux an hour and they buy parts, and 30 bux for basic OC install, 30 bux an hour if it was virus removal, and 50 bux an hour for data backups

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:09 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

I just wouldn't ask. Treat me to lunch (and dinner if I'm going to stay that long) and I'll fix your PC. Maybe a break or two with games would be nice. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:43 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Zambini The whole point is so they won't ask. Plus I'm still cheaper than local shops some of them charge 75.00 to 100.00 an hr. My time is at a premium especially since I work from 10 to 12 hrs a day starting at 1:45 AM and after thats done I go help my wife with paper work in her real estate office. You wanna call me a rip off go ahead but at least I don't have to worry about peeps calling me for every penny annie problem that comes along and when they do ask they know up front what I'm gonna charge them. Oh and lets not forget those special peeps that I do work for and I tell them just give me what they think is fair cause they happen to be especially dear to me and I get a 20 spot after working 5 hrs on their systems. I do it like that for them cause I know they can't afford to take em to the local shop. Once again call me what ya want thats what my prices are to them that can afford em and I look at each situation and not everyone pays it. KOMMANDER :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:31 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

OOOOOooo
see i just go to school
so yea :D yea thems my two cents

Post subject: Re: We need to quit trashing Geek Squad
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:54 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Frank4d wrote:
After all, they provide us a valuable service. Thanks to Geek Squad, I no longer have stupid computer illiterate friends wanting me to help them do this or that... especially for free.

Ya know what though, if that's the case, and your friends, family, etc.., are still not calling you, I'd have to beleive that they're showing you up.

...after all, they've fixed whatever issue that there's no need to call you :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:27 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I'm with you Kommander, My wife would do the same thing to me, my friends would also expect me to fix their systems for free. I basically took what Best Buy would charge and cut it in half, I do also have reduced rates for people who are on fixed incomes and can't afford to take it to a local shop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 7:07 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

At college I just charge a case of beer (brought in by askee since im 19) at home my mom is usually the one volenteering me but if i dont havethe time i dont do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 7:09 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I used to do repairs for free when i was first doing it. Now I charge depending on how well I like the person. Sometimes I ask for liquor, sometimes I ask for cash, it just depends. But, lately I have not really been sharing the fact that i have any computer knowledge. It just gets really annoying trying to diagnose (when you are not infront of it) a PC when the person does not know anything about it. And, all they keep telling you is "It's a Pentium" and "It has a 40gig hard Drive". :roll:

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 11:55 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Ever get a friend over IM or on the phone who wants you to fix their computer, and when you ask them about it all they can say is its a Dell, or my favourite, a "Windows XP"? I don't hold it against them, but its why I hate trying to help people remotely, especially when they just get mad that its taking so long and that you're "not being helpful enough" or "don't know anything about computers" even though they gave you NO details whatsoever.

Whats worse is the friends who only come around when they need something, I have a friend like that right next door who messes up his computer about twice a month then expects me to fix it. Never does anything for me, never really even talks to me, in fact I think hes an asshole, but I do it anyway because his family is nice. Feel quite used though.

I've gotta start charging those kinda people, others I don't really mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 9:16 pm 

lol i got $50 and a peice of home made cheesecake once for a drive refresh

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 1:52 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Utaku16 wrote:
lol i got $50 and a peice of home made cheesecake once for a drive refresh

Best Paycheck ever!!!! :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 8:08 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

I had the problem of 'drop in friends' for a long time. I agree with the guys pricing. It keeps people from dropping all kinds of crap in your lap and expecting it for free...

You know what stopped my free help for friends?

I took my car to a friends shop for an easy water pump install (blazer is simple its 4 bolts and a belt move.) I didnt want to do it as my garage was full from the fall yard sale and it was cold as hell outside. The guy raped me for 179$ and the water pump was 29$. I had helped him set up his systems and his Quickbooks and Mechanics system. He was a 'friend' so not only did I steer business his way I helped him... Well That ends the free help.

Not to mention folks I NEVER see who call with some problem and try to keep me on the phone for HOURS because they want advise on everything computer related. Then I never hear from them until the next problem. I stop all the conversations with "drop it off and leave the 50$ deposit with my wife and Ill look at it this weekend"....

Too many people consider computers a hobby and think you should do the work for free. Well I dont see mechanics doing diags for free or Hvac guys
checking your heat pumps for free... (yup I run their servers and they pay oh yes after the heat pump I replaced last year they pay dearly)

Just use Logiks advice:
Price yourself according to the need, experience and area and you will do well. And remember Friends is Friends and Business is Business.

V