Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 1:56 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

:shock:

god damn finally people are not bending over and recieving the business of HP !!!!

cept that has nothing to do with what i am bitching about .... but i like it. go plaintiff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:00 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Zambini wrote:
Thanx TW, but i already got all that stuff when i bought my PC
Dammit, yet again I don't recall getting an email notification for this. :roll:

Anyways...
So, I'm a bit confused. What, exactly, are you looking for? If you're still looking for that wiring diagram for the led pin headers, I wouldn't count on it. HP's usually have that plug that has all the wires in the correct order. I doubt they're gonna be nice guys and give the wiring diagram for people that bought their own case.

Do you still have the case? If so, why not try and trace the wires back to the led? Then you can see which wire goes where.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 8:07 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

heh, TW, lemme fill ya in on what has happened (cuz i dont think i told people)

-switched cases (bought an Enermax perdy case)
-old HP case went to '00 computer with 800mhz.
-new case is awesome and i dont need a tiny green light because i have three (count em, 3) blue LED fans and a flourescant tube on the bottom of my case
-gave up on HP cuz they blow ass
-build my dad a brand spankin new PC, and the mobo is kewl cuz it tells me everything

summation: NOT BUYING JACK SHIT (except printers) FROM HP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 7:30 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I'm my own best support technician.

The primary arguement for consumers and companies for buying systems from vendors is support (which they pay out the nose for). The problem is, that support is usually in the form of a minimum wage high school dropout reading from a sheet of paper on troubleshooting. They begin at the most basic (is the system plugged in?), and move up slowly per the sheet of paper, without concern for the symptoms demostrated and mentioned by the customer on the other line. Anything outside of the stated scenarios on their sheet of paper is beyond the vast majority of techs to handle.

The horror stories of "technical support" are never ending. All I have to say is, you don't always get what you pay for.

I would recommend to anyone that they get a little education about putting their own systems together and take the jump, rather than depend upon a vendor to provide you with help. The satisfaction you'll get from building your own system and troubleshooting your own problems will far outweigh any money saved from getting a similar system from a vendor.

And, buy HP printers only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:39 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Skilless wrote:
will far outweigh any money saved from getting a similar system from a vendor.

U dont save money from buying from a vendor. I saved my dad 200 bux and got a *Better* computer than what HP woulda gotten him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 7:47 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Zambini wrote:
summation: NOT BUYING JACK SHIT (except printers) FROM HP

I wouldn't even do that. Give me a Canon any day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:30 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

honestly i cant complain about their printers. Thank the Lord Sweet Jesus i havent had a problem with an HP printer though otherwise i'd not be saying this.
I think the printers are the one thing they didnt fuck up on

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:37 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

a quote "As to the actual computers, I've never owned an HP but from what I've seen, you can't even compare them to Compaq- Compaq makes a better box- HP is the cheap version of Compaq. I've seen more people with HP problems than Compaq. "
There both shit.
I worked for a company that resold hp/compaq clonesand there just booty all the way around.
Compaq likes to make custom mobos with custom cpu heatsinks and the such but NOBODY else makes anything that fits so your shelling out 150 for a cpu heatsink off top.
Also sometimes there craptastic recovery software doesnt install all the drivers and they are ONLY on that disc. Sometimes google saves you but most of the time you just go without. Theres a workaround where you gotta hold like f3 ctrl and insert while it boots but that only works sometimes....
and yes the Compaq techs are great with a flowchart but if it doesent involve running a recovery there lost.. You cant blam them, most of them are fresh out of highschool or there just textbook techs. Cant diag to save there life but they send out a part to get you off the phone.
Hp is just as bad
When you replace one of there mobos to get it to work you must first "tattoo" the bios. If you dont the recovery wont run I shit you not it tells you on the website that you have to run the installer up to 5 times to make shure it takes...(You have to make the installer yourself on a 3.5 floppy and some win98 boot files btw) Even if you manange to get it tattoed it might be a different revision so you better find the right tattoo or the recovery wont install. And they used to ship out there units without recovery cds-it was a partition on your hard drive - and if it was ever replaced it was on YOU to order the recovery cd set . And there so fun to work on too. Alot of sharp edges to cut yourself on and cases that require the cpu heatsink be off just to replace a harddrive.
theres tons more wrong with them but it makes me wanna shit when i think about them so ima leave it at that.
And the reason you see more hp problems than you see compaq is hp out sells compaq like 4 to 1 :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:22 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Blondie wrote:
As to the actual computers, I've never owned an HP but from what I've seen, you can't even compare them to Compaq- Compaq makes a better box- HP is the cheap version of Compaq. I've seen more people with HP problems than Compaq.

Un10nCarb1de wrote:
There both shit.
I worked for a company that resold hp/compaq clones and there just booty all the way around.

What is a Compaq/HP clone?
Un10nCarb1de wrote:

Compaq likes to make custom mobos with custom cpu heatsinks and the such but NOBODY else makes anything that fits so your shelling out 150 for a cpu heatsink off top.

If your in NJ come look me up. I have that 8000Z with a replaced HSF. Don't think I've replaced it on any of the other Compaq's I have here, but you can look at those too while your here

Un10nCarb1de wrote:

Also sometimes there craptastic recovery software doesnt install all the drivers and they are ONLY on that disc. Sometimes google saves you but most of the time you just go without. Theres a workaround where you gotta hold like f3 ctrl and insert while it boots but that only works sometimes....

This can be true if you use the restore disk incorrectly, but if you know Compaq's, you know where to find them in the C section of the hard drive as well as how to install them. Just about all (if not all) of the drivers are found on Compaq's website, so I have no clue where your getting your information from. Whatever drivers you can't find, the chat techs are happy to provide a link to.

Un10nCarb1de wrote:

Hp is just as bad
When you replace one of there mobos to get it to work you must first "tattoo" the bios. If you dont the recovery wont run I shit you not it tells you on the website that you have to run the installer up to 5 times to make shure it takes...(You have to make the installer yourself on a 3.5 floppy and some win98 boot files btw) Even if you manange to get it tattoed it might be a different revision so you better find the right tattoo or the recovery wont install. And they used to ship out there units without recovery cds-it was a partition on your hard drive - and if it was ever replaced it was on YOU to order the recovery cd set . And there so fun to work on too. Alot of sharp edges to cut yourself on and cases that require the cpu heatsink be off just to replace a harddrive.
theres tons more wrong with them but it makes me wanna shit when i think about them so ima leave it at that.

Was this Compaq or HP you were talking about?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:16 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

What is a Compaq/hp clone?
Compaq/hp parts and software in a different case. Kind of like a white box.
you say:
This can be true if you use the restore disk incorrectly, but if you know Compaq's, you know where to find them in the C section of the hard drive as well as how to install them. Just about all (if not all) of the drivers are found on Compaq's website, so I have no clue where your getting your information from. Whatever drivers you can't find, the chat techs are happy to provide a link to.
If you are under warranty or if you pay for service. For some reason known only to Compaq windows can’t see those drivers.
you wrote:
If they didn’t update the driver at some point then it wasn’t online period.
Why this important is if you want to have a real version of xp then you need to go buy a new sound and network card. There no reason to not have the drivers online for a reinstall. And the new Compaq recovery works just the same as hp and it’s on a hidden partition that’s not accessible through windows at all.
Also if you have to replace the mobo for whatever reason and its not the same your xp won’t work on it. Won’t install. You’re stuck buying another XP distro.
Also hp Compaq both don’t ship with recovery discs they have a option to burn a set but you only have 3 chances to do it right so if you didn’t do it while it was running right your stuck.
If the hdd you put in is smaller then the OEM it wont reinstall either. It’s an image of the empty space too so if it runs out of room it just errors out and restarts.
And as far as the tattoos it started on hp's but now Hp and Compaq do it
I know this because I had to deal with this shit every day. Some Hp mobos were 200 + for a used part, and we had to send that mobo or the recovery wouldn’t work.
As far as the ones we built we used a Real distro of xp and slipstreamed any extra driver’s onsite so the whole tattoo/recovery thing didn’t apply to us.
And just an FYI "recertified hard drives" means it was sent back in because it fucked up in the field. I got it and hooked it up to a bulk format machine, and if it had less than 14 % corruption we sent it back out.
Hp Pw0nz!