Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Damn Apple...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:12 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

so yesterday i was in the apple store(not because i wanted to go my freind made me) and noticed that they put little signs next to the computer telling you what it is (imac, emac, mini, G5, etc.) and what the system specs of it is but if you look into about this computer apple is actualy showing a model about 3 times as good. for example with the G5 they say that it is the single 1.8 Ghz version w/256mb of ram and a GeForce fx5200 ultra but it really is a dual 2Ghz with 3gigs of ram and a X800XT...WTF this is illegal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:13 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

They put the commercials on touting the G5 as the fasted Personal Computer, need I say more? People who buy macs are either morons and are fooled by the specs or are smart and see through it, there isn't much grey area.

Oh well, they say things like that and still struggle, if not for the iPod they'd be in trouble probably.

Post subject: Re: Damn Apple...
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:19 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

dunn2953 wrote:
so yesterday i was in the apple store(not because i wanted to go my freind made me) and noticed that they put little signs next to the computer telling you what it is (imac, emac, mini, G5, etc.) and what the system specs of it is but if you look into about this computer apple is actualy showing a model about 3 times as good. for example with the G5 they say that it is the single 1.8 Ghz version w/256mb of ram and a GeForce fx5200 ultra but it really is a dual 2Ghz with 3gigs of ram and a X800XT...WTF this is illegal

Either they have their specs switch on the computer you were looking at or they are indeed doing something illegal - False Advertesing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:39 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Doesn't everyone do this? Don't car commercials do this? They show you a one that's well equipped but they show you the starting price of the base model?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:43 pm 

Bait and Switch.....happens all the time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:45 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Location: Kicking the crap out of the people who lied to me about using Folding@Home and those who declined!!
Yeah, lots of companies/stores do this. Just ignore them, it's Apple...Search for Apple's Super Bowl add a long time ago. In the 80's I think. It's the dumbest thing I've ever seen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:51 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

I like the fruit company...

A link about Mac...it was funny.

http://www.roosterteeth.com/archive/

or

http://files.redvsblue.com/switch/RvB_Switch.mov

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:25 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

OCNoob wrote:
Doesn't everyone do this? Don't car commercials do this? They show you a one that's well equipped but they show you the starting price of the base model?
yes, but they also always say, as pictured $xx,xxx so they do tell you how much the one they were showing you was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 2:42 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Many times they also say list price starting at such and such a price. This is the lowest stripped model price and it just goes up from there, so it really isn't a rip off when car companies do it but you would'nt believe the number of peeps that will see everything but that last little peice of info and then want to holler rip off. KOMMANDER

Post subject: Re: Damn Apple...
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 8:22 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

dunn2953 wrote:

dude, if i read your post correctly, that store is selling more powerful computer at price of slower computer?? i say buy that MAC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 4:52 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

i was think the same thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 5:30 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

I was in the mac store at SOHO today. You guys need to actually read what the damn thing says and not just look to bash mac's with unsubstantiated claims of fake advertisement. Just like in every other add(especially cars) on the top in bold print it says
Quote:
Starting at:
and it will show you the most basic system in that family of mac's. Mac's are good at what they're made for. If I lived in Soho and was an independent film maker with bucks theres no doubt i'd get a G5 and a HUGE ASS LCD with the beautiful metal trim. but too bad i'm a 15 year old kid that needs to pay for 4+ years of expensive as hell college so i buy cheap PC parts one at a time. The bottom line here is mac bashing in a PC forum is just preaching to the choir and thats lame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 7:20 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

gramaton cleric wrote:
I was in the mac store at SOHO today.

So you decided to come down to the city? :shock: :P

I've been to that store. Crazy place is all white, clear, and silver. It's pretty fun to look around with a friend since the setting is just so different, stylish and... clean.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 6:38 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I agree with Gram, Mac's are great at what they do, video stuff. PC's are for creating powerpoint slides, word docs, or playing games. Do some video editing on a Mac and then do the same thing on a PC, the Mac will own...

Nate