Nope AOL Sucks. I want to get an AOL sucks T-Shirt 59%  59%  [ 26 ]
What's AOL? I thought it was AOHELL! 27%  27%  [ 12 ]
Total votes : 44
 Post subject: AOL... Need I Say More?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:55 am 

Quote:
Your Whitelist request, with the
confirmation code , has been denied.

Your web request by AOL has been denied because of a block in place on your IP address(es). Please contact the postmaster helpdesk to resolve prior to making another request.

For more information on this request, please visit our website
or call the AOL Postmaster Helpdesk at.

Thank You,
AOL Postmaster.

I'm a systems admin for several companies. I run Exchange Server 2003 at this particular location. We had a problem prior to this about a year ago with AOL blocking e-mail from our server. I was able to cut through the red tape and get our IP whitlisted. We were forced to change ISPs and now have a new IP address. I e-mailed the AOL Postmaster and told them about the change and never got a reply but all mail was being sent to AOL no problem for months. Now a week ago BAM!! we're blacklisted again. They told me is was due to customer complaints. My server is not on any black hole lists, is not an open relay nor listed in the open relay database and has a proper reverse IP PTR Record pointing to its FQDN! AOL just decided hey let's blacklist them... Now I've submitted a request to be whietlisted again and it took them nearly 25 hours to respond with this denial. I called them and got sent from tier one to tier two support who then gave me a case number and said it had to go to tier three! That may take 24-72 hours. I read somewhere that AOL is blocking nearly 1 billion messages a day! If only .001% were misfires that's like nearly 1 million legit messages a day being blocked. Is there anything a little ole tech like me can do to correct this situation and help my clients? NO! AOL has got me and them by the short and curlies. I Understand the need for blacklisting but it's taking me a total of 4 days so far to try to get them to unblock me or give me a real reason why they wont!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:17 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Anything that is produced in the millions, then handed out like candy in everything from movie theaters to supermarkets, to inserts in magazines and boxed games like FarCry and Doom3 goes straight in the garbage.

Of course I am referring to the AOL startup disks with 'free' hours on it. Just how much land fill waste do those AOL disks create I wonder....

I know this doesn't really address your problem, but still, this is something that has been on my mind recently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:10 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Location: Kicking the crap out of the people who lied to me about using Folding@Home and those who declined!!
You work for pcprogress.com don't you? I actually use AOL, that doesn't mean I like it though. It always shuts off randomly when I'm on. Only thing I like about it is the mail, IMs, and web browser are right there so you don't have to go searching for them. :)

Post subject: Pcprogress
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:58 pm 

I assure you I do not work for PCprogress or any body else. I'm my own boss and would not have it any other way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 2:49 pm 
team psycho or sumthin
team psycho or sumthin

AOL is a sleeper cell for the Cylons, Destory AOL and save the human race.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:40 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

About all you can do is dump AOL, issue stop-payment orders to your bank/credit card company, and try to put the pieces back together WITHOUT AOL.

I never used it, never got sucked into their crap. Imagine paying for a browser that didn't work as well as the freebie from Microsoft!?!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 1:48 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Someone should h4x0r AOLs server and replace the disc contents with Metallica MP3's.

Then we could use the disc, and they'd get sued into oblivion!

I'm dreaming again....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:03 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

GaretJax wrote:
Anything that is produced in the millions, then handed out like candy in everything from movie theaters to supermarkets, to inserts in magazines and boxed games like FarCry and Doom3 goes straight in the garbage.

Of course I am referring to the AOL startup disks with 'free' hours on it. Just how much land fill waste do those AOL disks create I wonder....

I know this doesn't really address your problem, but still, this is something that has been on my mind recently.

dude ive been collecting those for years!

waitin to test my 12 guage.

jk, i use em as a border around my room. ill take a pic if i remember when i get home. it looks pretty cool, ive got my east corner completly bordered :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:39 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Gee willickers cool! Dude it's so true, those commercials where it's like, "would you rather have just regular broadband or broadband with AOL?" I'm definitely like, "Yess! AOL!"

I mean that's why so many people get viruses, they don't have AOL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:38 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I have been a member of AOL since 1995. I have never had an issue with them.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:46 am 
Team Member
Team Member

thug and esquire, u two are lucky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:54 am 
Team Member
Team Member

It's not that we're lucky it's just that a lot of people don't use AOL. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:35 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

It's funny...

Notice you don't see those ads anymore depicting every member of AOL showing up at corporate headquarters anymore...

It's because they backfired terribly. Many perspective customers took them as, "Wow, EVERY MEMBER has a problem with their service? Why Would I want to sign up for that?"

Funniest part is, isn't it almost true? Every member has had a problem at some point... AOL just sucks...

Nuff Said indeed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:53 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

AOL blocks just about all incoming mail for whatever dumb reason. I belong to a commodore 64 mailing list, and every few weeks all the AOL users on the list start complaining that they're not getting the messages. AOL keeps adding the mail list to the blacklist....

Because yes... Commodore 64 mailing lists that you personally have to sign up for are definitely (note that it is spelled correctly) spam and should be deleted immediately!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 2:47 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

AOL is a Cult. I was a member of that band of losers for years and then when I decided to quit and get out, it took me three phone calls over a period of a week just to finally cancel my account..Every phone call reminded me of a cult recruiter, trying their damndest to suck me back in with free offers, free time and God only knows what else for almost an hour on every one..To top it off, my emails to a friend there get blocked and returned with the excuse that there is too much traffic coming from my ISP to them..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 8:44 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Zambini wrote:
thug and esquire, u two are lucky

Wait, why'd you say Thug and Esquire?