Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WinZip and Upgrade Assurance
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:58 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I have used WinZip for nearly 13 years now and have enjoyed using the product during that time. When they required payment at the release of version 10, I liked the product well enough that I paid for it. Every year since purchasing it, they have sent me emails to remind me to purchase "Upgrade Assurance" for $11.95 per year, and I have done so every year without fail. This year, however, I am annoyed with this "upgrade assurance" because nowhere in the sales receipt email nor in the so-called "registration information" email that they sent to me after purchasing the upgrade assurance in July of this year am I able to find the required "registration/activation" code that is needed to register the product so as to not have to pay for it again. I have tried their email lookup system at their site (since my email address has not changed for the past eight years), but am not receiving the information that is needed to register the upgraded product (WinZip v. 16.5). I think I will not renew my upgrade assurance with them next year due to this problem.

Post subject: Re: WinZip and Upgrade Assurance
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:04 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I hate to sound like a dick, but... looks like it's time to use 7zip to me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:48 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Actually, LatiosXT, you do not sound like a dick. As a matter of fact, I was thinking of using 7zip in the future, anyway. Those assholes from WinZip have not bothered to answer my concerns one way or the other thus far. I will not be paying for "upgrade assurance" with them from now on. Their support has become abysmal (used to be pretty good up until now). Not very reassuring!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:36 am 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

pcstudent wrote:
I have used WinZip for nearly 13 years now

Funny, I gave up on WinZip probably 13 years ago! Not sure what took you so long, eh! 7-Zip is my shrink of choice. Although the development has stalled a bit the past year or so, it still works and does so excruciatingly well. PeaZip is another great alternative, especially if you prefer less utilitarian and more eye gloss and screen candy.