Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sony DSC-F717 and PCV-RZ46G VAIO Media Center PC
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:19 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

It seems as though Sony products are pre-programmed to break down. I've had the DSC-F717 since 12/2002. Now the CCD imager will not pickup a decent signal to be photographed under any lighting conditions, or device settings. Using the TFT screen on back to center my shots, all i get is a bunch of horizantal gibberish. The TFT screen works fine when I load an original .jpeg or .tiff image back onto the memory stick, and use the camera as an image viewer. The TFT displays the old photos in great detail. Along the lines, I've tried hitting the reset button inside the battery compartment, and it just resets itself back to it's screwed up state. :evil:

After paying $1,219.00, I'd anticipate at least five years of reliability, wouldn't you? :?

Moreover, i'm an avid Sony electronics guru and have been using Tripp Lite, APC battery back-ups and surge protectors on all of my sensitive electronic equipment, digital camera too (while on charge). Well, my PS2 wasn't working properly, not a significant issue.

The worst nightmare was when my 3 month old, top of the line, PCVRZ-46G VAIO Media Center PC died out on me overnight! :? $2,000.00 (w/o monitor)

A Sony representative replaced the mainboard, and CPU. I thought, cool! So I used it for another two months...and for a second time the P4 3.2Ghz proc burned in hell! Later the modem died for no apparent reason!
This PC has serious heat issues! It has one PSU fan, and a proc heatsink, and fan. Additionally, the only air inlets are a single 16th inch gap, along 1/3rd of the side edges, on front the case. Much less around the CD-Rom drives. Sony did this to boast on how quiet it was. Well at idle, it ran a whopping 158 degrees on the CPU! :shock:

Had I known that was going to happen. I would have built a PC myself. Well, I did. I gut the piece of shit Sony, and purchased a new proc P4 3.4EE, mainboard, and a case. It's been over a year now and running pretty damned good.

So you see this is why i'm venting about Sony. Who wouldn't be more disappointed after having exhausted in excess of $10,000 on their products?

This is what they did in their next Media Center line-up.
They put a side vent hole, dead center on the processor.
Apparently they got the hint...to hell with the silence!

Knock on wood! My handy cam is the high definition Sony HDR-FX1 HDV!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:33 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

this is why i buy nice samsung and dimage stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:53 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

gramaton cleric wrote:
this is why i buy nice samsung and dimage stuff.

Does Samsung sell desktop computers in the US? Last I checked, it was just laptops that they sold in foreign countries. I could be mistaken, thanks though.