Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Tigerdirect
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:48 am 

I puchased an Intel chip and fan. I was told that if I didn't order the fan they would not warrant the chip. I have a receipt for the purchase of a chip and fan. When I attempted to remove the chip for an upgrade I bent some pins because the fan wouldn't release properly. When I called TigerDirect they said that since I didn't buy a boxed chip the warranty didn't apply. I said I purchased a fan specifically because of the warranty. They said that even though I purchased a fan it wasn't with the chip. Since I was told that I needed a fan for a warranty, why can't they honor the purchase?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:28 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I'm not sure I follow 100%. Are you saying you didn't purchase the processor and fan at the same time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:44 pm 

I purchased both at the same time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:03 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

They tend to be assholes when it comes to their (lack of) customer service:

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller1983.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:51 pm 

You got hosed Tommy, you got hosed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:54 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You must be dealing with the .com branch. I've dealt with the Canadian branch quite a bit, and other than insisting on using UPS to deliver, I've never had any trouble. Then too, I've never tried for an RMA.

I know they tend to be sneaky about things, like using rebates (that you never get) to reduce their selling price. Check their fine print, if they don't specifically state you have to buy the retail boxed cpu in order for warranty to apply, then call them up and start asking for their supervisor. Once you get as high as you can, THEN raise hell. Hollering at the flunkies does no good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:09 pm 

I purchased a asus mobo from them and took it home ( I live close ) , when I got home I discovered that the box only had the mobo, no drivers cables or any other parts it was supposed to have. I called them and was told that I would have to bring back everything to get it exchanged. The problem was I had alreday assembled my system with borrowed parts from another system. I told them this and was told that I would not be able to return the parts becuase they were now used parts. I contacted Asus and they gladly shipped me the missing parts for free. I will never do business with tigerdirect again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:09 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

What it sounds like to me, you bought this stuff a while ago, and were taking it apart to put in a different processor, and when you did, you bent pins on the old processor- is that correct or did you bend the new one?

Either way, it would be Intel for the warrenty after 30 days.

Post subject: Bent pins
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:05 am 

The pins were bent because the fan (the fan that I was told to purchase to insure a three year warranty) that was on top of the chip wouldn't disengage properly.

Post subject: Re: Bent pins
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:17 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

ednachman wrote:
The pins were bent because the fan (the fan that I was told to purchase to insure a three year warranty) that was on top of the chip wouldn't disengage properly.

You really need to know if you have a retail or OEM processor. My guess is that it is OEM. Go over to Intel's web site and look up the warrenty, unless you saved any paperwork from it.

How long ago did you purchase it? Longer than 30 days?

Post subject: Period of time
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:39 am 

Its been over a year. I just gave up. Tiger Direct just doesn't support what it sells, particularly with those people who take your order. I'm going to write to the CEO and send him the chip and required fan. I'm not going to deal with Tiger Direct ever again. I was in touch with Tiger Direct via E-Mail and got the same song and dance. They refuse to acknowledge their bad faith policies.

Post subject: Re: Period of time
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:45 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

ednachman wrote:
Its been over a year. I just gave up. Tiger Direct just doesn't support what it sells, particularly with those people who take your order. I'm going to write to the CEO and send him the chip and required fan. I'm not going to deal with Tiger Direct ever again. I was in touch with Tiger Direct via E-Mail and got the same song and dance. They refuse to acknowledge their bad faith policies.

Well if it is that old, it really isn't their problem. You need to contact Intel.

Post subject: Tiger Direct Fault
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:51 am 

It is Tiger Direct's problem because I notified them immediately after it happened. They just refused to acknowledge their liability. It was not Intel's responsibility.

Post subject: Re: Tiger Direct Fault
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:02 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

ednachman wrote:
It is Tiger Direct's problem because I notified them immediately after it happened. They just refused to acknowledge their liability. It was not Intel's responsibility.

1. Your post really is not clear.
2. You bent the pin, it was user error, it was not sent like that.

Post subject: Bent PIn
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:31 am 

The reason the pins bent was because of the fan attachment wouldn't disengage properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:33 am 
Folding Master (Top-ranked)
Folding Master (Top-ranked)

You bent the pins like Blonde said. I have straightened pins on processors for years. Yes I have bent my share of pins doing the same thing you did. Some people freeze the chip before removing heatsinks and some people warm them up first. Get a small (pocket) screwdriver and a pocket knife and work them straight. Trying processor in the socket as you think you are getting close. It is a good processor and worth the time. If you are going to though it away give it to one of us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:33 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

Phred15 wrote:
You bent the pins like Blonde said.

Thus voiding any warrenty- correct?

Phred15 wrote:
If you are going to though it away give it to one of us.

:D dibs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:02 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

Contact Intel!!! That is what a retail warranty is.