Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MaximumPC & Norton Internet Seuciryt 2012
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:11 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

So, I made a post way back when regarding MaxPC's verdict on NIS 2012 (9/Kick Ass). My question is how long did they actually use NIS 2012? I've been running it now on a few machines, and at least two (which aren't even plugged into the same network and are in two different physical locations) are now experiencing the same problem... a problem that appears to be a big problem known on the Internet....

It sort of bugs me that MaxPC gave this program a 9/Kick Ass, when something like LiveUpdate has issues, and this is apparently a known issue. In my view, it the abilty of the scan engine is only part of the game. Being able to keep updated is another part. Without one of the two, your AV app is pretty much not going to protect you as well.

I never had these problems with ESET, and a lot of people complain about this stuff with Norton. It was obviously my mistake for even considering Norton for a security suite. Luckily, I got it when it was on sale for $40, so even if I end up dumping it and going back to ESET, it wouldn't be a big financial loss.

it just bothers me how Norton has been at/near the top of the list for the past two years when this product has been one of the primary targets of viruses. Not that that means it's a bad product neecessarily, but that I know how some of these raitngs going, and some in some cases, money and incentive is an influence... and I worry that this may be the case here. I've been on both sides of this, and I currently work for a business that manufacturers items for sale to our dealers and customers, and I know how the review process goes, and that if you give someone enough money, they'll write almost whatever you want, making your product look better than the rest, even if that isn't quite the case.

Now in our business, we like to have honest ratings and reviews, and try to not influence them at all with any type of extra money or incentives. But some companies out there (not saying that Norton neccessarily would do this, but its making me wonder) that would to get a better image in the public eye.

I mean, does MacPC do any long-term testing, to see if a product lives up to its name and cliams? I mean, Norton worked fine up until about now, about 6 weeks later (I had installed in at the end of December, and it's worked fine until now). But the fact that I'm experiencing this one two separate PCs, on totally different networks, with different configurations, concerns me. And this isn't the first time that LiveUpdate has given me issues. I had another PC that ran Norton 360, and after a while, a similar problem came up after a few months of use, prompting a re-install of the entire Os to fix the problem, but then it came back again. Some say it has to do with Windows updates conflicting, but regardless, an AV app should work, and if there are incompatabiltiies with Windows updates, then Norton needs to get that figured out, because people are going to want to patch their Oses and not have their AV app act nuts and not update.

For what it's worth, I get the error "8920,223" and NIS states that it has "encountered an error." It's been working flawlessly up until now. I bet if you do a Google search on this error, you will find plenty of people complaining about it and Norton's suggested fix doesn't seem to work. The only thing I can think of is re-installing the Os or re-installing Norton.

Post subject: Re: MaximumPC & Norton Internet Seuciryt 2012
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:19 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

I wanted to leave this alone, but can't. In the AV world ESet is tops and shouldn't be ignored. In that same world, Norton is pretty much a joke. When trying to attack a system, Mac's have always been the first broke into unless Eset were used...then it's the stereotypical MS Windows.

You can get into an ESET Windows system, but it's so much easier to get into an open macbook instead. Shields are down. Think PS owners that lost their info are running windows? The root is...

Post subject: Re: MaximumPC & Norton Internet Seuciryt 2012
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:21 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

After reading this post, seems with that particular issue, a simple update can be installed going thru the Norton 360 framework (360's main interface) The update issue has been addressed, and corrected long ago. As well as there is an open beta going on ATM that you might want to get involved in, the next coming version of 360 will have a smaller footprint and VERY light on system resources. :mrgreen: </===SHOULD be Mr Blue instead :)