Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Carbonite
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:42 pm 

Several years ago I subscribed. When a drive went gunneysack, I wanted my information. It was difficult to get. By a November 14 letter to its president, I told Carbonite that I had not been using its service although it renewed me. Further I wanted my information returned. No reply. Then via email Carbonite wanted the original credit card number that created the account. I don't know the original credit card number and told it to just look up and return my information. No go.

Somehow Carbonite has again charged my credit card for a renewal. I'd write appropriate cussing an bitching here; however it would not cure my problem.

The lesson is not to deal with that lashup. I conclude that its people can read credit card numbers but little else.

Post subject: Re: Carbonite
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:04 pm 

So if you don't know the credit card number, how do you know they charged your credit card again? If you know the type of credit card they are charging to, then call that credit card company, tell them your issue and they should be able to reverse/block the charge and also close the account so that they can't charge to it anymore.

Post subject: Re: Carbonite
PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:35 pm 

Wife and I both have AMEX cards. Don't know which one was used. A few months ago I was here in Alaska but my AME credit card number was working hard in Illinois. AMEX is good about checking and refunded the charges and sent me a new number. All this is to say I don't know the number that paid the original subscription. Via email I told Carbonite that I didn't know the number and that I thought that it couldn't charge me for a new subscription. Obviously that didn't stop Carbonite.

The day I found the charge on one of our AMEX statements (they're combined), I called AMEX and got lost or pissed at pushing something for English, something for lost cards, etc. So I gave up and got the AMEX corporate address in New York and sent it a letter (with a copy of the 11/13/12 letter to Carbonite asking Carbonite to not bill me but send my my information) to reverse the charge.

Normally AMEX will reply. I have yet to see one. But I'm guessing that AMEX will respond soon. Guess I'd better look at my AMEX current charges.

It seems that companies are loath to publish their addresses. Maybe the written word will be a thing of the past. Sort of like the quote attributed to somebody like Yogi Berra claiming that "this oral contract isn't worth the paper it's written on."