Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Another blow to Dell Tech support
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:38 pm 
Phoenix Foundation (Top 10)

I really like my Inspiron 5160 I received from Dell. Its works great and I have no complaints with the computer itself. I do have a few choice words for there tech support. I have been here before complaining about this, but it has happened again, so it deserves to get mentioned again.

Customer drops off laptop. No power of any kind. I call Dell at about 11pm after wife goes to bed and im on my free minutes. 38 minutes on hold before i get my outsourced guy in India. Pain in the ass. He had me turning the laptop on, asking for beeps, asking for what the display says. Each time he asked I had to tell him the laptop has no power at all, none, does not power up. Then he asked me to find a screw driver, said we were taking out the hard drive. He had me remove the 2 screws but I could not get the drive out. I have no clue why, it should have slid out. I could not get it, but he repeatedly told me it would come out that I was probably doing it wrong. Finally I got pissed and told him that the laptop is under warranty and this is work that Dell should be doing. The customer paid extra for this warranty so they need to do all the diagnostic work themselves. Then he asked me to remove the battery and plug in the power cord to check for power. At this point im furious. Its late, ive been on the phone over an hour with him. I bitch some more about it and he finally gets to the shipping info. Asks for my info, says hes sending a box.

Then it gets worse. He tells me to take the power cord and battery out and keep them with me, to send only the laptop. I said, how do you know the battery isnt bad? You have no way of testing it to know weather its good or not. I told him i didnt want my customer to wait a week to get her laptop back to find out the batter is bad too. He said he went thru his diagnostic checks and determined it to be the motherboard. What diagnostic checks?? He read a page in a binder!! How the hell does that tell weather a battery is bad or not. Customer told me when she went to bed, laptop was sitting on desk, plugged in and running. When she woke up next morning it was dead. How do we know there wasnt a power surge to the notebook, frying the board and the battery? He refused to take the battery back because "his diagnostic check shows its the motherboard"

I was so pissed at this point. Its been 1hr 33 minutes. Im on my cell (its peak minutes, i could be roaming!!!-TV humor) so i said fine, do it your way, i need to get off the phone and get to bed. I said when it comes back and the battery doesnt work then I will call and bitch Dell out for that one. Like he cares anyways. So then he repeats himself on the diagnostic thing after i tell him i want to get off the phone, and his tone had changed. I knew exactly what he was doing. He asks if there is anything else, i say no, he says "You have a wonderful night". And we all know how that sounds with the sarcasm added, im sure weve all done it once or twice.

I cant believe I had to go through that with Dell. I am ready to say that I will never again recommend a Dell product, nor will I buy from there parts store again. I liked having my $5000 charge account with them, but its not worth it. Returns are a pain, RMAs are a pain, understanding there phone support is worthless. I will add a nice big banner on my website informing visitors of Dells bad service. I think a nice section of Dell customer feedback linked from that would be nice too.

Im still amazed at what I had to go through with him tonight. Everyone warns potential customers about Dells tech support, and how bad it is. And it is the worse in my opinion. Like i said, I will never recommend another Dell product again. I will make it a point to steer customers to another source. Once my account is paid off with them, thats it. Never again.

Dell has finally failed with me. BUYER BEWARE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:57 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

I emailed this to a friend that was about to buy a Dell laptop and it changed her mind in a matter of minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:45 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

go to resellerratings and give them shit-tastic feedback. this and their outsourcing and their usage of only Intel processors are the reasons i'd never reccomend a dell to anyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:29 pm 
Team Member/ Ex-Team Member/ Team Member
Team Member/ Ex-Team Member/ Team Member

Never use Dell's call-up support. E-mail support and you will recieve better service. I spent 2yrs on Dell's help forum and that's your best bet if you can't get help from the forum. My graphics card went and 3 e-mails and 2 days later Dell sent a tech to my home to install a new one. Call support sux unless your a business customer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:25 am 
Team Member
Team Member

It's not just Dell - If you ever have a problem with a Compaq, prepare to go through the same routine. They had me on hold so long it completely killed my cell phone battery, and I had to wait for it to charge up before I could call again :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:54 am 

My charge account is now suspended, lol. I refused to pay for last months bill untill I could speak with someone about the account.

First, financial services said i needed to call customer service. So this morning i called customer service using the number financial gave me. The foreigner on the phone told me i needed to call financial services. I told them i dont care and they can call me back when they find an english speaking american.

Wait a minute, i am a small business, wonder if i can call the small business support here in the states....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:51 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Go for it. Can't hurt, might help. Dell might make decent systems (when they work) but after sales service is where its at, and Dell is like Soyo that way. Their attitude seems to be: they have your money, so who gives a s--t

If I ever find a connection for plutonium (I'm gonna nuke Soyo someday) ya wanna borrow some? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:58 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Well I have to say Dell tech Support is pretty lousy. My last Dell computer crashed on me and I got the Tech support in India and he took me through all of the testts to check my hard drive.

After about an hour the tech guy finally tells me the HD is bad..

The next morning which was a Friday My neighbor and I decided to take it to the local Tech store with all of the disks she needed.

The Techie checked it out and reformatied it and put a few programs on it and it worked greats. It only has 128mb ram and a 60hd so I got a new one from Dell that has 512ram and 80gb. hard drive.

I have a two year warrenty on this one and if I ever have a problem I am going to send it back or they can send box

I do not think Tech support for Dell is not too great.

I was supprised about what they told you about taking the back off or screws out,

one of my friends has an HP and she had fan problem with hers and she call tech Support at HP and it is in India too and they suggested the same thing about opening up and see if there was a loose wire. I told her not to do that because that might void the warrenty.

She waited a couple of days and called back and got a box and sent it back and they fixed it iin 5 days and she had it back.

They said it was a windows boot up problems

Tech Support at Dell not great or at HP. and probably a few more.

My feeling is this if you have a warrenty and have a problem send it back to them and let them fix it and if you don't have one take it to a local techie and let them fix it

To reformat mine was $65 and was done in half a day and was well worth the money.

Good luck

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:03 pm 

For those that dont know, you can call Dell and request they send a shipping box when your sending your computer back in for warranty. Also ask for them to schedule a pickup. They will send you a box via DHL and then you can pack it up and have it ready for shipping the next day.

Maybe Ill call Dell to return an item for repair, then just put a cement block in there. That should give a nice shipping charge back to them : )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:23 pm 

There's three sides to this story. First off, is the unhappy customer, who is definitely getting what the company promised. To get anything done, the customer has to jump through hoops and go through a lot of unnecessary crap just to get a warrantied device operating. I guess dell forgot that hwen a customer gets a warranty, it's because they don't want post-purchase problems or crap.
Secondly is the guy in India. Wages are extremely low there, and because of a number of factors, it appears cheaper to have tech support wherever wages are cheap. So you have this guy, maybe a nice guy, maybe not. But he's working at a wage he knows is a fraction of his customers. He's working in the middle of the night, and he's probably working from a fixed troubleshooting script. Despite the fact tech support can speak English reasonably OK, language and cultural differences will exist.
And of course, the true cause of all the problems.. Dell. They made the decision to go with cheaper tech support. Yea, it does impact on pricing, but maybe it would be worth it to have better tech support?
Somewhere inside dell, vice presidents and accountants looked at the flowcharts, graphs, spreadsheets and decided to place tech support in India. Now, they have to be held accountable for that decision.
Personally, I won't buy a Dell, for the very reasons ricksickle described. I'm not going to fork out a large amount of money, only to find tech support sucks.

I was seriously considering purchasing one of the new, sweet dell LCD monitors. But I can get something just as good, at about the same price. I don't have to buy from Dell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:37 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Yes, I remember Dell tech support....My method is to call and hang up until you get some "thing" you can understand. Around the fifth time I got this gay guy...though the phone conversation was awkward (sounded a little too interested on how I was feeling) he spoke wonderfully perfect English...1 hour later I got my new 19" flat screen CRT sent to me.... (the old one burnt out)

Oh, don't ask them to help you on a Windows reinstall...completely useless…also don’t ask about their personal life while waiting for it to install…scary times man

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:52 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

ricksickle wrote:
Maybe Ill call Dell to return an item for repair, then just put a cement block in there. That should give a nice shipping charge back to them : )

you'd be the man. do it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:44 am 

I was always told that you could ask to be transferred to someone else if you couldn't understand them and they had to do it. And you could always sk for level 2 or a Supervisor type person and do it that way. Of course if you call during the day you could ask to be transferred to the US...

I'm just glad I don't have to worry about this since I'm Dell Certified and can order my own parts. We use thousands of Dell laptops at work and we replce keyboards and minor things like that all the time. Helps to work for a huge company though.

I'd still buy a dell and would recommend them to anyone I know. When they sell tens of thousands of laptops, obviosuly some are going to have problems and some people are going to have bad customer service. But for the most part, they work great and their warranties are normally rock solid if you get their best one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 8:47 am 

I'd like to see you go through the tech support channels that the regular people have to use, and without being Dell certified.

Dell laptops still suck:

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Dell_SmartSt ... C_Notebook

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Dell_Latitud ... C_Notebook

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Laptops_Dell ... op_A_i0209

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Dell_Inspiro ... C_Notebook

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Dell_LATITUD ... C_Notebook

http://www.epinions.com/pr-Laptops_Dell ... op_A_i0801