Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Beware Dell Refurbished Laptop Batteries
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 11:09 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Note: I did not buy a refurbished battery. I'm referring to the batteries that ship with refurbished machines.

This may be an atypical experience, but it has happened to me both times I’ve received a computer from Dell Outlet. The first was a machine I purchased (m1530), the second (Studio XPS 1640) a replacement for the first machine which suffered catastrophic thermal problems. In both cases, the battery arrived slightly “worn” (as indicated by BatteryBar, a statistical battery meter). I had no problem with a little wear—I don’t expect LI-ION batteries to be in perfect condition upon arrival due to the nature of battery chemistry. What I didn’t like was the extremely rapid degradation of the battery. What started as 2.5-3.5% rapidly became 10%, 20% and 50% over the course of only a handful of uses. Think less than five stints on battery power.

But wait, you say, the software could be wrong! First, this is unlikely since BatteryBar only reports the exact information coming from the battery itself. Second, the poor condition of the battery was supported by shorter and shorter run-times. After explaining this to a Dell representative via chat I was able to get the m1530’s battery replaced under warranty. I am currently working on the issue of the 1640.

I will let the Dog know what the result is.

Post subject: Re: Beware Dell Refurbished Laptop Batteries
PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 8:01 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I think the whole issue can be summed up in 3 words: Beware DELL altogether.