Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Alienware...good or bad?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:39 am 

Hi everyone. I just placed an order for an Alienware Aurora 7500 with an Athlon 64 4000, 1GB Corsair memory, and Nvidia 6800 Ultra PCI etc...
Several friends of mine who work at my company (I work with computers for a living) told me NOT to purchase from Alienware as they have all heard horror stories regarding tech support, customer service, systems being shipped weeks after they were promised, systems arriving with hardware missing or not properly installed, systems indicating they were not tested before shipment, and a variety of "red lights" I called today and cancelled my order, as it had not yet been built but was in the processing stage. Sean, their customer service supervisor tried to assure me that what I was told was not true, that maximum PC had actually rated them excellent, and that I should give them a chance. At this stage I am very nervous about purchasing from them. There is also a website called "BewareofAlienware.Com" but I am not sure if it's legit- there are many many complaints. Please- if anyone here has any insights or comments I welcome them. I noticed that Velocity Micro got great reviews here on MaxPC. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:53 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Build your own, man. Find some people to help you out--there are tons of quality guides on the 'net, too. You already know (mostly) which parts you want, right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 12:52 pm 
Clawhammer
Clawhammer

For every few good experiences with a company there is a bad one, and the bad ones always get more publicity. It just depends on whether or not you are willing to risk the bad experience... If not, I second the build it yourself comment, no vendor can surpass the quality of the PC you build yourself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:31 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Thug Esquire wrote:
Build your own, man. Find some people to help you out--there are tons of quality guides on the 'net, too. You already know (mostly) which parts you want, right?

i second this, besides you have all of us here at the forum if you have any questions, and before you buy post your parts list here to make sure everyting will work with each other

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:04 pm 
Team Member Top 50
Team Member Top 50

Location: Kicking the crap out of the people who lied to me about using Folding@Home and those who declined!!
i third it, poor soul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:59 pm 
King of All Voodoo2 Cards
King of All Voodoo2 Cards

http://str8dog.com/articles/182.aspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:21 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

you will enjoy it more if you build it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 6:11 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Most of what alienware does to make there rigs fast is window and bios tweaks. True they do use better parts but they have a full BIOS and they know there way around the regestry. For about half of what you pay for that rig you can build one yourself. Its realy not that hard and you learn so much to boot.
You can order most of your parts online (no tax) just get the case and monitor localy Shipping heavy stuff is not a great idea. with the money u save you can realy hook your hardware config up like a ata RAID 0+1 array. Its 4 hdd's -2 that have the same data for reduncy and to drives that are "striped" half the data on eachof the drives for throughput out of this world. Also the pci raid controler takes care of all the data movement localy so the cpu and a large part of your ram is freed up- this is a major bottleneck in pc's and this alone makes it one of the best upgrade bar none. Try and get a 1+0 array in a box for under 2000.
.Next if you are manly gonna play games go with a amd.you can get one stick of like 1024 3200 if you wanna stay on a buget. I personaly like Intel becuse i like to run alot of programs and Hyperthreding kicks ass. Memory costs more for a a p4 setup becuse to make Hyperthreding work right you have to have 2 of the same size and speed DDR sticks. Dual chan ddr works but it costs more and you dont need it. Just try and get the fastest Ram sticks you can afford like 2 512mb ddr 4200 would run like a champ. You wanna get the memory faster on a HT setup becuse when it starts doing its thing you only have 512 megs of memory per cpu. A decent DFI mobo. A video card some high qualty ata cables,a 500w ps a dvd+r/ cdrw drive and a good full size atx case will prob run you about 1200 . Now its the fun part, you had legos right? Same shit . Just set your jumpers on your drives, throw it all together , load xp and the raid drivers and you have a home brewed beast. Throw some system and reg hacks in and Enjoy! I have a 12 year old nepheue that puts pc's together . Its that easy