Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Maximum Software & Plimus Sales
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:02 am 
Willamette
Willamette

A little over a year ago, I built a new system that had Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit as its primary OS and Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit RC as a secondary OS. After completing the build and installing the drivers for the hardware, I noticed that I was lacking drivers for the motherboard's SMBus Controller and a Co-Processor in the Device Manager in Windows Vista Ultimate, and I was only lacking the driver for the Co-Processor in Windows 7 Ultimate RC. So I contacted the motherboard manufacturer's tech support and got a not-very-helpful suggestion to run Windows Update in both OSes. I informed them that I had already done so, but to no avail. While I waited for another response on my open support ticket, I found a program called PC Updater 2.0 by Maximum Software. I downloaded and installed the program and let it scan for driver updates, and it correctly identified the missing drivers for my motherboard, but I had to pay $29.95 for an unlock code first. I took a chance and paid for the unlock code and the program proceeded to install not only the missing drivers, but updated drivers for other system hardware as well. So far, so good.
Fast forward to mid-July 2009. I try running the program again to check for updated drivers, but notice the program producing erroneous results in its driver scan. So I contacted Maximum Software's support staff via email and explained my issue to them in detail. A representative name Krystal replied to my email and provided only the link to re-download the program, along with the unlock code that I had been provided upon having purchased the PC Updater 2.0 program. The problem was that upon downloading the program, it requires you to input a registration key in order to scan your system and update your system's drivers. The registration key requires four six-digit numbers (with each six digit number separated by a single dash, whereas the "Unlock code" consists of three five-digit numbers (with each five-digit number separated by a dash). When I pointed this out in my reply to the tech support email, I received no response. So now the software that I paid for is useless and remains so.

Fast forward to this past Sunday morning. I receive and email from Plimus Sales (the billing company affiliated with Maximum Software and other product software manufacturers) informing me that within seven days, the credit card that I used to purchase PC Updater 2.0 back in June 2009 will be billed for a full year's subscription renewal at the rate of $49.95 plus applicable sales tax. The email also provides a link to an account sign-in page and also provides me a numerical username with no password (it has been "removed" for my protection, LOL). When I click on the link for the account sign-in page and use the "Forgot Passord?" link (I didn't forget it, I just never received it in the first place!), I provided my email address and have yet to have a temporary password sent to me via email. So I contacted Plimus Sales via a telephone number that I had to search for and explained my issue to them and that I wish to cancel my update subscription for the now worthless Maximum Software's PC Updater 2.0. As of the writing of this post, I have yet to receive a confirmation email showing that my subscription has truly been cancelled. As of now, I am considering making another call to verify my cancellation, before I contact the BBB. This is a warning to stay the hell away from Maximum Software and its PC Updater 2.0 software. Woof! Woof!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:34 am 
Million Club
Million Club

Be sure to tell your bank, or the credit card issuer to block any charges from Plimus or Maximum Software.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:43 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Thanks for the suggestion! Unfortunately, my bank cannot block any single transaction from occurring with this particular card. The only way to be sure that I am not charged anymore for this worthless software is to cancel the card and have a new one issued to me. Oh, well! Live and learn!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:34 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Actually, they can block it for a specific tendered amount (ie: $49.95 as you stated), so try that after explaining to them what's going on, then get a lawyer (real or not) involved.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:51 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Well, it is now seven days after I received the aforementioned e-mail, and a quick check of my account (online, of course) shows no pending transactions to Plimus Sales. Thus I am prompted to give a "thumbs up" to Plimus Sales for their quick and responsive attention to my issue, but I am still putting Maximum Software in the Dog Pound for their lack of availability in phone contact, their inane and silly tech support responses to the issue with their software, and the performance (or lack thereof) of their overpriced software.